Chapter 19

When the real party began and James went out of my sight, a voice called my name from behind. I knew who it was even before seeing his face. His voice appeared even in my dreams. It never let me go. “Arabella, I have something to tell you. Can we talk outside?”

                I felt this way before. I heard him say that from before. I wonder what he’s going to say now that things have changed. We walked towards the garden where no one is around. “What do you want to tell me? What’s wrong?”

                He looked me in the eyes and said, “Do you still remember the last time I answered that question?” I just looked at him. Even without speaking, he knew that I do remember. “The last time I answered that question, I broke your heart and mine. I regret leaving you that night.” He said while walking towards me. “For that, I’m sorry.” I just stood there and listened. He tucked my hair behind my ears and touched the side of my face. “I’m sorry because I lied that day. I made the worst decision in my life. My grandfather wanted me to marry Stephanie. I didn’t love her. You’re the only girl I love and I would ever love. But I didn’t have the courage to fight for you until my wedding day, until I realized that I can never live without the person whom I wanted to grow old with. I went to New York to find you. You’re the girl whose heart I’m trying to win back. You’re the only girl I’ll ever love, Arabella.” He said and hugged me. “Please forgive me.”

                I was stunned with what he said. I immediately pulled away from his hug. I gathered all the courage I’ve gained over the years and decided to face him. “Why are you telling me this now? It has been years, Mico. I won’t deny that my feelings for you haven’t changed. I tried so hard to forget you. But you’re still the one this heart only beats for. But it’s hard to forgive you, Mico, after all that I’ve been through. And you can’t imagine how I suffered not just physically. I’ve almost lost my dreams because of my stupidity and recklessness from our break up. People have been hurt because of me. I don’t think my love for you can be enough to heal all these wounds and scars you’ve left. It’s been so hard on me. And now that you told me the truth, you think it will all go back to the way we were? It’s not that easy, Mico.”

                He reached for my hand and said, “That’s why I’m asking for a second chance. Just one chance, Arabella.”

                “Maybe. But don’t expect that things would go back to the way it was.” I said and left him. I went to find James and saw him at our table. I sat beside him and he offered me a glass of wine. I drank everything in it.

                “Easy there, lady. Where have you been? I just got us drinks and then you suddenly disappear. You missed all the fun. What happened?”

                “Let’s go home.” I told him.

                I think he understand how badly I wanted to go home right now. I’ve been trying to hold back my tears since I left Mico. He stood up and offered me his hand. “C’mon. Let’s go and say goodbye to them. You still have a big day tomorrow.”

                “What do you mean?” I said as I took his hand.

                “You’re going to see them tomorrow.” I just nodded and went to where Sebastian and Jessica are. We congratulated them again and bid farewell. As James and I walk towards the exit, I saw Mico’s eyes on me. I ignored him and went straight to the parking lot.

On our way home, I told James everything Mico said. “Why don’t you give him the chance he’s asking?”

                “I don’t know, James. I don’t even know what will happen to my heart once he tries to break it again. I don’t want to do the same mistake I did. It’s as if Monique’s death will be for nothing if I give Mico a second chance.”

                “What does my Monique got to do with that?”

                “If only Mico had the courage to fight for me, I wouldn’t have driven that stupid car and Monique would still be here with you. If I give him a chance, it will be unfair for you and Monique.”

                After what I said, we became quiet and reached home. My parents were already asleep when we entered the house. I was about to enter my room when James spoke. “Ara, I know that you think it is unfair for me and Monique. But that’s life. It will always be unfair. Maybe Monique and I were not really meant to spend the rest of our lives together. Maybe I’m just meant to continue loving her from a far. That’s why I think you should give Mico and yourself a chance. But just be sure about whatever you decide on. Like what I said last night, I don’t want you to be hurt. Okay?”

                “I’ll think about it.” I said as I close the door behind me and went inside the bathroom. I gave myself a warm bath to release all the tension inside me. I was just too tired. After an hour, I got out of the shower and find some fresh clothes to settle in for the night. As soon as my hair had dried, I went to bed and immediately fell asleep.