Chapter 13

We went to the restaurant one block away from the coffee shop. It was just simple restaurant, a classic. We’re the only people inside and it felt awkward. I can’t believe I’m eating lunch with this guy. I should be angry with him. I should blame him with what happened to me. But since I have to see him often, I might as well work professionally and not based everything on our past. I just have to tolerate his presence.

While eating, we talked about other things aside from work. He wanted to know what happened to me for the past years that we haven’t seen each other. I only told him a quarter of everything. If I told him everything, I don’t think he can take it knowing that he has something to do with almost everything.

“Are you and Carlos together?” I was kind of shocked with his question. I never expected him to be so curious. But since he asked, I answered with honesty.

“We’re just friends. Well, he tried to court me once, but I wasn’t ready that time.” It’s true. He confessed once while we were in New York but I don’t think it’s going to work and I wasn’t really ready yet. How can I be ready if the person whom I loved and the person who hurt me was in front of me asking about my love life? “How about you? Who’s the fiancée and that other one?” I asked without hesitation because of curiosity. “C’mon. I’ve told you mine. You should spill yours too.”

“Okay. You’ve already met my ex fiancé before. She’s the reason we broke up, remember?” We? You broke up with me. I wanted to remind him that but I don’t think it’s necessary.

“Stephanie? The sole heiress of Fernandez Empire? Yep. I remember her. You said you love her right? What happen? Tell me. I’m interested to hear your story.” I said mockingly.

“Well, since we still have lots of time, I’ll tell you my story. After you and I broke up,” he paused as if thinking about the right words to say. “I courted her. But that doesn’t mean that I intentionally brought her to the party. It was unexpected that she’s there whether you believe it or not.”

“I’m not asking you for an explanation Mr. Angeles.”

“It’s part of the story so listen very carefully. I didn’t bring her because I know that you will also be there. I know it will hurt you and I don’t want that.” Is he making fun of me? He’s saying that he didn’t want me to get hurt. But in the end, he hurt me big time. You don’t know what you’re saying. I wanted to tell him. “But she just came out of nowhere and then you’ve met each other. She’s a charming young lady. We were okay. We lasted for almost five years. People are always saying that we were perfect for each other. But may be that triggered me to fall out of love with her. Then there’s this girl. I thought I could forget her and just marry Stephanie. But because of her I realized that I didn’t really love Stephanie after all these years. So, I ran away from my wedding.”

I shook my head and said bluntly, “You are never going to change. Once you lose interest on something, you just get bored and find something else to play with.” I bet he didn’t expect me to say that. He looked shocked for a moment but regain his self.

“You’ve changed you know.”

“You just noticed? People change. Feelings change. Situations change. But whatever change that is, I’m still Arabella Salvador. I’m still the same person.” I wanted to change the topic so badly that I asked him the question. “So, that girl, tell me. Have you found her like what your aunt said? I probably need to give her some warning and advice as well.”

“You don’t need to do that because I’m sure that she’s the one. I really love her more than anybody else. She’s really the girl of my dreams. I had her. But I let her go so easily because my grandfather really wanted Stephanie to be the one. But one day, I finally got the courage to oppose my grandfather and found myself leaving Stephanie in front of the altar. I ran after that special girl and promise myself that if I find her again, I’ll do everything to win her back.”