Chapter 11

I got up really early because it was my first day of work. I guess my jetlag was overruled by my excitement for this new project. Tito Johnny will be expecting me today. At seven-thirty, I was already inside a taxi. After 30 minutes, I arrived at the firm. His office was in the fifth floor. I immediately went straight to his secretary after going out the elevator.

                “Hi. I’m Arabella Salvador. Is Mr. Tan inside his office?”

                “Ah, yes, Ma’am. He’s already there with the clients. He told me to send you right away when you get here.” She said while smiling.

                I was confused for a moment. Clients? I thought I was only reporting for today. I was beginning to panic when a familiar voice called my name.

                “Belle?” I turned around to see Carlos. “What are you doing here?” He asked. His voice sounded nervous.

                “Uhhh, your father wanted to see me. I thought he’s just going to brief me about a special project. I didn’t know that I’ll be meeting the clients too. I’m not prepared.”

                “Okay. Just don’t go inside. I’ll tell Dad that you can’t make it.”

                “But…” I tried to protest but it didn’t work. So, I just nodded at him and he led me towards the elevator.

                “Arabella? Is that you?” I was shocked when Tito Johnny called me. “Where are you going?” He looked at Carlos and said, “Where are you taking her? I need to talk to her. The clients wanted to see her.”

                “Dad, you can’t do this. Belle is not yet ready.”

                “C’mon, son. Arabella, you’re okay with this right? You promised me that you will do this project.”

                “Dad, aren’t you aware of the situation? You made her promise without even telling her who the clients are?” I was confused of what they are talking about? I mean what situation?

                “Carlos, everyone here are professional. They will not take things personally, so as Arabella. She’s the best interior designer in our company and our clients wanted the best. It’s not like they picked her on purpose.” Now, I’m completely clueless about everything. I don’t know what they are talking about, but I’m starting to feel nervous. “Now, if you’re too worried about her, you can go with us and meet the clients.” His father said commandingly. “Come inside.”

                I think Carlos didn’t have a choice. So, we went inside without any more questions. I guess I have to use my impromptu skills with doses of creativity if they want to see what I am capable of. As soon as I stepped inside the office, Tito Johnny introduced me. “This is Ms. Arabella Salvador, my most trusted interior designer.” He then turned to me to introduce our clients. “Arabella, this is Mr. and Mrs. Angeles, the owner of the Angeles Group of Companies. They will be our clients for this project.”

                I stepped forward and shook their hands. “Hello, Ma’am, Sir. You can just call me Belle.”

                “Hello, hija. We’re happy to finally meet you. Johnny is talking a lot about you. But after seeing you today, I think we’ve already met. Right, Hon?” Mrs. Angeles turned to her husband.

                Mr. Angeles nodded and said, “Yes. I think we’ve met before. It’s Ara, right?”

I was a little confused. We’ve met before? Come to think of it, they looked familiar. Angeles. Do I know someone with that surname? Have I worked for them before? They knew me with that name. I haven’t used that name for years. I tried so hard to remember, but only one person comes into my mind. That gave me the idea and that is not a very good idea. I looked at my clients again and my mind was enlightened. I knew who they are.