Chapter 17

When I got home, the food was already prepared. “Hi, Mom.” I kissed her cheeks. “Why is there a lot of food? Is someone coming over? Are Lolo and Lola coming?”

“No. But we have a surprise visitor coming.”

                “Surprise visitor?”

                A second after I asked, I saw our car parked in our driveway. “They’re here.” I saw my dad went out of the car. Then the door of the passenger seat opened. A familiar guy came out. I was so shocked when I saw him.

“James!” He just smiled at me. Aside from Carlos, James became my confidante, my best friend. When he went to Italy, we still communicated with each other. I visited him once when I got a chance to visit Rome and its historical sites. He’s one of the reasons why I survived that period in my life. Even though I caused Monique’s death, he still managed to forgive me and became one of my support systems. He also visits my family once in a while when he’s here. He became close to them like Carlos. Mico was also close to my family once. But things have changed ever since the accident happened. They were mad at Mico. I told them that it wasn’t really his fault. But they won’t listen. I was just glad that they didn’t fret when I told them that I was working for Mico.

                When he went near me, he said, “Miss me?”

I nodded and smiled. Then I hugged him. I’m so glad he’s here. I really need a friend right now, now that Carlos decided to leave me alone for a while.

                After I release him from my hug, he went to greet my mom.

                “Hi, Tita!”

                “Hi James. Thank you for accepting our invitation. I’m sorry for having you fly back here in a situation like this.” Situation? What situation? Am I missing something?

                “It is okay, Tita. I also think that this is the right time for her to meet Monique’s family.” He looked at me with some kind of expression in his face that I could not figure out.

                “What do you mean?” It’s always like this when a situation comes along. I am always the last person to know about what’s happening around me even though it’s about my life.

                “Honey,” My mom faced me. “Monique’s family suddenly wanted to see you.”

                “They finally wanted to see you.” James added.

                “Why would they want to see me now?” I asked calmly. I didn’t want James to misinterpret my reaction. I just wanted to know why they suddenly wanted to see me after a very long time.

                Nobody answered. Then James suddenly changed the topic. “Let’s talk later. I’m hungry. It looks like your mom prepared a lot of food. C’mon.” He pulled a chair for me and I sat down.

                When we were having dinner, they are talking about James’ career. He’s now a well known photographer in Italy and France. He achieved more than what Monique has dreamt of.

                “Monique would really be happy now that I was able to fulfil her dreams.”

                For the whole time, I was hoping that everyone could finish their meal as soon as possible. I really wanted to talk to James about my situation. I don’t know how I will be able to face Monique’s family. Right after dinner, I excused myself and went outside. I know James would eventually follow to talk. I didn’t have to wait. He followed me as I expected.