Chapter 22

When we reached home, I found Mico’s car outside. I immediately went inside the house. I found him and my parents in the living room. My Mom was crying when she saw me. Mico was looking at me. “How did you know?” I asked him.

“Know what?” He said innocently.

“My accident. You knew about my accident! Why didn’t you tell me?”

He looked at my parents and then at me.

“We’ll leave you guys to talk. We’re going out for lunch. James, are you coming?” My Mom said.

James nodded and everyone went out of the house. I sat at the club chair opposite him. “Will you tell me now? Please tell me everything, every detail.” I asked.

“I told you half the truth last night. My grandfather wanted me to marry Stephanie to strengthen the merger of our companies. That’s when I became a coward and broke up with you. I didn’t have the courage to fight for you. At the party, I didn’t know that you and Stephanie will both be there. When I learned that you gave up your dreams because of me, I was shaken. I realized how much I really love you and I can’t let you go. I only wanted to be with you forever. But when I came to you, you ran and drove away. I followed you and that’s how I knew about your accident. I was the one who called for help and I was the one who brought you to the hospital.”

“How about the text message that Carlos received?” I wanted to know.

“Stephanie sent that message to Carlos.”

“Stephanie? How did…?”

“She followed me. She thought I was losing it.”

“Then, what happened?” I looked at him.

“Your operation. You lost a lot of blood. And Stephanie, she donated her blood for you.”

“Why didn’t I know about this?”

“We kept it a secret. After your operation became successful, I decided to finally stop seeing you. I thought it would be best for you if you’re far away from me. You deserve better.”

We were silent for a moment but decided to ask one more question. “How about your grandfather? He helped Monique’s family in exchange for dropping my case.”

He nodded and said, “I was desperate at that time. I didn’t know what I could do for you. I tried to beg but I was rejected. And my parents wouldn’t help me because of my grandfather. So that’s when I decided to make a deal with him. I told him that I’ll be with Stephanie and marry her if he would be able to save you from the case. I thought that I could at least do that for you. I’m willing to sacrifice my happiness just to see you happy.”

“But you ran away on your wedding day.”

“I,” he paused as if looking for the right words to say. “I thought I could work it out with Stephanie. Well, she’s a kind person. She’s not difficult to like. We made it for almost five years. But then, whenever I see her walking down the aisle during our practices, all I see is you.

“I used that as an advantage. I decided to just imagine that it was you during our wedding day. But then, I realized that I’m being selfish to Stephanie. I didn’t want her to live a life as miserable as mine. I didn’t want her ending up with someone who doesn’t love her back. That’s why I decided to run away and find you.”

“Did you?”

“Yes. I decided not to leave New York until I find you.”

“Is that how I ended up working for you? Did you have something to do with that?”

“No. But it was my grandfather’s work. When I left to find you, he had a heart attack. I didn’t have a chance to talk to you after finding you. I had to rush back home to see my grandfather. When he got better, he asked me to just stay with him. He said that he’ll make sure to bring you back home whatever it takes. That’s how you ended up working for me.” He smiled to himself.

“So, your parents are only making stuff up when they told me about being the best, and having the best?” He chuckled. How could he laugh at something important as that? I was hired because he wants me and not because of my skill. “That wasn’t very funny, Mico.”

“I’m sorry, but they’re not really making stuff up. It’s our company’s motto, about being the best. My grandfather learned that you were the top interior designer in your firm and he used that piece of information for my advantage.” He stood up and knelt down in front of me while holding my hands. He looked at me and said, “And because of your talent and skill, he finally approved of you, Love. And that’s when he decided to have another deal with me.” He smiled.

“What do you mean?”

“Remember the day when I caught you eavesdropping on my conversation with my father? That was the deal.”

“So, you became the CEO to be able to pursue me?”

He nodded and smiled. “So, will you give me another chance?” He said while looking at me with his eyes full of sincerity. I took my hands away and stood up. I wasn’t sure if giving him this chance will be the right decision for me, for all of us. I thought of Carlos. What would I say to him? I was in deep thought when I felt hands on my waist and warmth at my back. “Just one chance, Love.” He whispered to my ears. I can feel his breathing on my neck. It gave me chills down my spine and I felt my heart starting to beat faster. He has that effect on me. I’m not sure if being with him will take away every pain I felt. But I’m sure of one thing. I love him.

                “Mico,” I faced him. “I’ll give us a second chance.”

                “Yes!” He looked as if he won the lottery. He hugged me tightly. “I’ll help you heal every wound that I caused you. Even if it takes a lifetime for you to heal all your wounds, I’ll wait for you. Just being with you is enough. I love you, Arabella.”

“I love you too, Mico.”