Chapter 2

He left me standing there. As I expected, it did rain. I was soaked all over. I think the sky is crying with me. It knew how hurt I was and how I needed someone to carry all this pain. I didn’t know what to do. Suddenly, my mom came to me and led me inside the house. When we were inside, I hugged my mom very tightly then tears began to flow again down my cheeks non-stop. I just felt like crying to be able to release everything inside my dying heart. I felt helpless and scared at the same time. I felt that my life had already ended. I lost the most important person in my life. I thought everything was okay between us. I even sacrificed a lot of things including my dreams. Why did it come to this? I lost him in just a blink of an eye. For days, I just stayed in my room. I only ate little amount of food. I just slept and slept while hoping that the nightmare would end.

        “Ara? Honey? Are you okay? Can I come in?” My mom immediately opened the door and went inside. She sat on the bed beside me. “Arabella, please don’t do this to yourself. It’s not worth it. Please, listen to me. This is not good for you. You’re only hurting yourself further. I feel terrible as a mother for not being able to protect you. I’m sorry.”

        I removed the blanket that was covering me and faced my mom. “Mom, it’s not your fault. It was my fault for loving him too much. I’m sorry. It’s just that I let him go that easily. I should have begged him to stay. I should have knelt before him.” I began to cry once more.

        “No, no, baby. It’s not your fault. It was his fault for letting someone like you go. You deserve someone better. You know that.”

        “But Mom, it hurts here.” I pointed at my heart. “I don’t think I can stand him being with another girl. I love him so much. What should I do to have him back, Mom? What should I do?”

        “Ara, I know you can overcome this. This is just a test for you. You don’t have to do anything. Please don’t be like this. We’re still here, your Mom, your Dad, and your friends. We won’t leave you. In fact, your friends are downstairs. They are here to see you. Don’t you remember your own motto? There will always be stars in a cold lonely night. Am I right?” I nodded and tried to smile. “So, will you please fix yourself and go down already? Everyone is waiting for you.”

         I nodded again and she went outside the room. I got myself out of bed and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I tried to analyze the damage I got from not eating. I think I lost a lot of weight and dark circles had formed around my eyes. I went down after changing my clothes.

        “Ara!” My friends came to me and we had a group hug. They asked me if I’m okay. I tried to smile to show them that I’m already okay. They tried to comfort me by telling me that things are going to be alright. I can see how concerned they were to me. My mom was right. There will always be stars in a cold lonely night.

        Once everyone has calmed down and while we were watching a movie, I suddenly decided to tell them. “He fell in love with another girl.” I just said it as if speaking out of the blue.

        “What?” They all said in chorus and turned to look at me. The silence a while ago was replaced with noise. They were all talking all at the same time. I can’t understand them. They just stopped when Janna shouted.

        “Hey guys! Can we please be quiet? I have news for everyone.” Jana said. “Carlos is having his birthday party tomorrow night remember? We’re all invited.”

        “Yey! Party! What do you think, Ara? Are you going? You’re going right?” Inna asked me.

        I was about to respond when Cassie answered for me, “She’s not going and we’re not going as well. Have you forgotten? Mico will also be there because he’s Carlos’ best friend. For sure he’ll bring his new girl with him. He didn’t even follow the three month rule. I don’t want Ara to get hurt again. Besides it’s a formal party.”

        I realized that what Cassie said was true. Three month rule? He didn’t know that. He left me for another girl without even waiting for three months. I guess he wanted to be with her right away. He didn’t even wait for the right moment to tell me. I wasn’t ready. It just happened so fast. He just told me and thought that everything will be okay between us after our break up. He just left me there. It never even crossed his mind that I might do something terrible to myself. I guess he never really cared at all.

         I didn’t want to spoil the party for my friends. I decided to let them go without me. “Guys, it’s okay. You don’t have to do that for me. Just have fun without me.”

        “Okay guys, let’s have a vote. Who wants to go to the party without Ara? Please raise your hands.” No one raised their hand. “Okay. No one wants to go without Ara so, we’re not going.”

        “Okay okay. No one wants to go without me. I don’t think there will be a problem if we go and stay there for a little while. I know you guys wanted to have some fun so I’m not stopping you guys.” I smiled whole heartedly and thanked them for always caring for me. “You guys are the best!”

        “No, Ara. You’re the best!” Krista said and hugged me. “So, ready for a makeover?”

        I gave her a questioning look and said, “What for? Aside from the weight loss and these dark circles under my eyes, I think I like what I look right now. There’s nothing to makeover.”

        “Yeah. I know that but isn’t a makeover done right after a break up? This is to show your ex-boyfriend that he made the greatest mistake of his life.” She said it with feelings.

        “I don’t know, Krista. I don’t think it will make him regret what he did. It would not change the fact that he left me for another girl.”

        “I think she’s right, Krista. We should let her decide on what to do”

       “Okay. I get it. But I’ll be the one to choose what dress you are wearing tomorrow.” Krista insisted so I have no choice but to say yes.