Chapter 3

I arrived at the party at 7 in the evening. It was a formal event. Everyone should be wearing their tuxedos and formal gowns. I’m wearing a blue long gown which is chosen by Krista from her own wardrobe. By the time I arrived, I was sure to see Mico and his new girlfriend so I planned to leave after saying my greetings to Carlos. He was a good friend after all. He’s an architecture student. Sometimes, I asked him for help in some of my plates. I just figured that he was Mico’s best friend when Mico brought me to his parents’ anniversary party. They were like brothers. Now, I went there as Carlos’ friend and not somebody’s girlfriend.

        When I saw my friends, I immediately joined them. “Hi guys. Have you seen Carlos?”

        “Yes. He was here a while ago. I don’t know where he went. But wait, are you leaving after greeting him?” Jackie said.

         “Yes. I think I better go. I shouldn’t have come here. I have a bad feeling.” I said to her.

        Jana rose from her seat and went beside me. “Ara, you just got here. It would be a waste of time if you’d go now. We’ll not be having fun without you. We talked about this right? You need a break. You need some distraction.”

        “Jana’s right.”

        I searched where the voice is coming from. I knew it was Carlos before looking behind me. I smiled at him and said, “Hi. Happy Birthday! I’ve been looking for you.” I hugged him lightly.

        “How are you? I heard about the break up. I think what he did was stupid. He didn’t know what…”

        I didn’t let him finish what he was about to say. Instead, I smiled and said to him, “It’s okay Carlos. You don’t have to say bad things about him. I know he’s your best friend. I don’t want your relationship with him to become like mine. It’s not really his fault. He just fell in love.”

        “You’re being too kind. You can consider yourself a martyr, you know. You should have slapped him or punched him so that he can wake up from this foolishness.”

        “I know, right?” We just laugh together. A man came to talk to Carlos. He just told Carlos that his father was looking for him and I was surprised that he was also asking for me. Their firm was the one who offered me a scholarship and a 10 month internship for interior design in New York. I turned that down because of Mico. Because I love him very much and I can’t leave him. He didn’t even know about that. I hid it from him because I’m sure that he would tell me to go. He would tell me that that is my dream and my life. But he was wrong about that. Being with him forever was my dream and he was my life.

        Carlos offered his hand for support as we walk to where his father was. We saw his father talking to a couple with their backs on us. I stopped midway because I became nervous when I saw the person whom Carlos’ father is talking to. I was sure it was him. “Do you want to wait till they go away?”

        “No. I think I can manage, Carlos. Sooner or later I would have to face them. And…” I stopped for a few seconds and continued, “He thinks that we’re still friends and okay after the break up.”

        “What? He’s such a jerk. I can’t believe he’s my best friend. And by the way, that girl beside him is Stephanie. She’s the daughter and heiress to the Fernandez Empire. She’s the one. ”

        I nodded and said to him, “Don’t hate him because of me. He was at least a good friend to you. And the girl looks okay.” I tried to act happy to hide my pain.

        “Come. Come with me. I’ll show him how wrong he was, how wrong he was to lose you.” Carlos said while dragging me towards his father while talking with Mico and that girl. I actually didn’t know if they were already together or not. Whatever their relationship is, it doesn’t really matter. What I know is that he left me for that girl. I know our family didn’t own a company. May be we’re not as rich as her family. But I didn’t deserve to feel that way. I just hoped that he really loved me and that he didn’t use me as his pastime.

        Carlos cleared his throat and his father immediately noticed us.

        “Oh, Carlos! Here you are. And look who’s here. Ms. Salvador.” As soon as Mico heard my surname, he immediately glanced at my direction and was shocked to see me. I didn’t dare look at him. I just shook hands with Carlos’ father. “We meet again after turning down my offer.”

        “Just call me Arabella, Mr. Tan. I’m sorry but please let’s not talk about it. I was beginning to regret it now.” We laughed at the thought. And at last, I managed to see Mico’s face. He looked confused all of a sudden.

        “Well then, Arabella, just call me Tito Johnny. My offer is still open you know. If you’re regretting your decision from before, just drop by the office. But there will be something you have to do in exchange for it”

        I just smiled and said, “I’m beginning to feel nervous, Tito. What is it?”

        He smiled first and looked at Carlos before looking at me. “Well, I know this will be a bother and I think this favour will probably cost you a lot stress but I want you to look after my son when you are there.” Then his smiled turned into laughter.

        “Uhm, Tito, where are they going?” We were all surprised when Mico spoke all of a sudden.

        “Mico, hijo, I’m sorry. I forgot we were still talking. I got carried away while talking to this lovely lady.” I saw him looked at me. Our eyes met for a second but I was the first one to look away. “This is Arabella Salvador. She goes in the same school with you and Carlos. I think I saw her in your parents’ anniversary party. You know her, right?”

        Mico didn’t answer right away. Instead, the girl was the one who talked. “So you’re Ara Salvador. I’m Stephanie Fernandez.” I just noticed her presence when she spoke. We shook hands and I gave her a questioning look. May be Mico told her about me. She’s beautiful and she looked nice. No wonder Mico liked her.

        “You already know her, dear?” Tito Johnny asked and he looked more confuse than anyone of us.

        “Yes, Tito. Mico told me about her.” She said politely. I knew I shouldn’t hate her because it’s not her fault. She looked like a fine young lady. Maybe coming from a rich family made her that way. I didn’t think I even have a match with her. I began to realize that they were a perfect match. That thought made me feel like a loser.

        “Actually, Tito, she’s my ex-girlfriend.” Mico bluntly said while looking at me. I was surprised how easily he said those words.

        Tito Johnny looked more confuse. “Oh, I’m sorry. I was clueless.” He looked at Carlos and said, “Son, why didn’t you tell me about this?” Then he looked at me and said, “So Arabella, is he the reason why you turned down the offer?”

        “Dad, please. It’s already in the past. They are not together anymore right? So please, let’s not talk about it.” I was about to faint right there. I’m really thankful that Carlos was there to rescue me.

        I looked at Mico to see his reaction. I regret looking at him. He was looking straight in my eyes and I saw guilt in it. But after a while, he looked away and asked to make their leave.