Chapter 10

Just before tears started to fall from my eyes, I wiped them as I wiped away those memories that I should have forgotten for the past years. The only thing that I was glad to remind myself is what James said to me before he went to Italy. He made me realize that it’s not the end of the world for me. I’ll just be wasting my time if I continue to pity myself and do nothing. Therefore, I decided to give myself a chance. I asked Carlos if we could still go with the plan. He was so happy when he heard about my decision and wanted to book a flight to New York right away for me. But then, I decided to go through plan B. So I finished my studies in the country and took the board exam. As soon as I passed my board exam, I flew to New York with Carlos then took another exam to be able to work there. I was glad to pass the exam because I can’t imagine myself going back.

Life wasn’t easy. I worked at Tito Johnny’s company. They provided the house where I stayed for a few months. Then, I decided to get an apartment on my own to learn how to be independent since I’m earning my own money already. My parents didn’t want me to send them even a small part of my salary. They said that they have enough savings to use since they have stopped sending me my allowance.

        Carlos and I were a team. He’s the architect while I’m the interior designer. But when Carlos decided to take the board exam in the country after three years of apprenticeship that was supposed to be just two, he asked me to come home with him. But I decided to take my second degree in Business Administration, so I was planning to stay. But Tito Johnny wanted me to work on a special project that will be a new milestone for the company. Of course I couldn’t ignore his request so I decided to come home a few days after Carlos. This is also a chance for me to be with my family after a very long time. Even though they visit me once a year, I still miss them so much.

        Another thirty minutes have passed and I still can’t see anyone familiar. I don’t know where I’ve gotten this patience. I’m not usually like this. I hate people being late especially when I’m in the middle of a project. I really hate wasting time. I don’t know what has gotten into me because I still haven’t taken a taxi home. After another 10 minutes of waiting, a car stopped in front of me. I’m not familiar with the car. I knew my parents bought a new car after the accident. But I’m absolutely sure that the red convertible in front of me was not it. The driver immediately went out of the car and a familiar face greeted me. It was Carlos.

                “Belle, you’re finally here.”He said and hugged my tightly.

                “Wait, wait, Carlos, I can’t breathe.” I told him and he immediately release me from the hug. “And it’s only been what? Three days since we last met?” I said teasingly.

                   He smiled and replied, “I’m just excited that you’re back, that we’re back.”

            “Anyway, why are you here? I thought my parents are going to pick me up? And most importantly, why are you late?” I said while raising my left eyebrow.

                “I was busy preparing for your surprise welcome par…” He didn’t finish his sentence and his eyes grew bigger. I think I know what was going on and looked at him straight in his eyes. “Don’t look at me like that Arabella Salvador.” He said threatening me. “And don’t tell your Mom that I told you. She’s going to kill me.”

                I laughed at him and said, “I can’t wait to see how my Mom will kill you.”

                “Really? Then I have no choice but to runaway. And I will be glad to take you with me. I can’t wait to do that.” He said sarcastically.

                “Haha. Very funny, Carlos. C’mon. I can’t wait to see them. I’ll pretend to be surprised only if you let me drive your car.” I said mockingly while looking at the red convertible.