Chapter 14 (edited)

We drove all the way to a seafood restaurant near our firm where Carlos is waiting. He got out of work earlier than what I expected. I immediately opened the door of the restaurant and searched for Carlos. He saw me and smiled. But in just a few seconds, his smile was gone.

"What are you doing here?" He was asking the guy behind me.

"I told Arabella that I wanted to see you. I have something very important to tell you." Mico said calmly. "Can I join you for dinner?"

Carlos looked at me first as if asking for approval. I nodded and mouthed 'It's okay.'

"Sure. I think we could use this time to catch up on things." Carlos said.

We were seated near the glass window with a very good view of the sea. Our table is square with four chairs on each side. I sat at one side and Mico sat opposite Carlos. After we have ordered, Mico took the chance to talk to Carlos. I just listened to their conversation.

"Did you receive Seb's invitation?" Seb? I think his name is familiar.

"Yes, he personally went to my office to give me his invitation. But unfortunately, I can't go. My board exam is on the next day. I have to prepare. How about you?"

"I don't know. I thought that if you'll go, then I'll go. But since you're not coming, maybe I'll just make an excuse."

"Why do you have to do that?"

"I don't know. Since you're here and I still think you're my best friend, I was hoping that you could help me with those guys. They would surely make fun of me because of what I did with my supposed to be wedding. They will think that I got scared. Explaining to them is useless. I need backup." Mico explained. Is that why he wanted to see Carlos? He's such a coward. I can't believe that the person who hurt me the most is a coward.

"Well, I'm sorry. But I really can't go. I have to focus. My father will kill me if I go to a party the night before the exam."

"That's okay. I just needed to think of something."

Our orders came and we ate quietly. After a few minutes, I saw a group of middle age businessmen went inside the restaurant. Some of them looked familiar. One was the owner of a well known architecture firm. The other one was a multi-awarded architect who designs very unique and environment-friendly buildings. Another was an internationally known architect who designs famous high-rise buildings in other countries. The others I'm not familiar though. I looked at Carlos and I think he's also looking at their direction. After a few seconds, a very familiar face entered the restaurant. It's Tito Johnny. He eventually went to the table where the group of architects are seated. They seemed to be having fun.

"Don't you think you should go there and let your father know of your presence?" I asked Carlos.

Carlos turned to me and said, "Ah, yes. I should probably go there and say my greetings. Those architects are no joke. I think I have to meet them. Will you excuse me for just a little while?" He asked. Both Mico and I nodded. He stood from his seat and went to see his father.

There was silence again. I don't know if I'm the only one feeling awkward. But I just need to break this awkward silence between us. I have to show him that the past is past. I was about to talk when he spoke.

"Do you also want to join them?"

"No. It's okay. I don't think that's necessary. I wanted to meet them, yes. But I want to meet them in a different way. I don't like meeting them through other people like Carlos and his father. I want to meet them when I work with them. I know those times will come."

Mico nodded and said, "You know what? I'm taking back what I said earlier. You haven't change. You're still the kind, humble, and passionate Arabella I knew."