Chapter 7

Click. I saw James standing beside me holding a camera. “What are you doing?”I asked him.

“I was taking a picture of you and the sunset. It was very dramatic, look.” He sat beside me and showed me the picture.

“I’m sorry.” I said.

“For what?” He said while looking curiously at me.

“For asking you earlier. I’m sure there is a serious reason why you quit being a celebrity.”

He nodded and said, “Do you really want to know why?”

“We’ll if you don’t want to tell me, then you don’t have to.” I answered sincerely.

“You know, this will be the first time I’ll be talking about this. Actually, that is also the reason why I’m here. It was a very long story. Well,” he paused for a few seconds and continued, “I lost the most important girl in my life. I lost her in an accident several months ago. So, I decided to stop being an actor to fulfil her dreams. I’m not yet that famous but I decided to stop for her.” The mood became very serious.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you sad.” I was sincere. I was really shocked about what I heard. He doesn’t seem to be the kind of person who’s very passionate and serious.

“It’s okay. That’s life. I’m not the one holding her life. But I’ll surely miss her, so much.”

“What exactly is her dream that you want to fulfil?”

“She wanted to be a photographer. That is why I decided to stop my career to study photography. And before that, I wanted to erase the pain I still have here.” He pointed at his heart. Compared to me, he experienced a lot more pain than I have. “How about you, why are you here?”

 I shook my head, “I don’t think it’s a serious matter to talk about. Well, compared to what you experienced, my reason is too shallow. But it’s also too painful.” I added.

“It’s okay. Tell me.” He said seriously.

“My ex-boyfriend left me because he met someone else. He said that it was love at first sight. I gave up everything even my dreams just for him. But still, it’s not enough. He’s also the reason for my accident. I was driving so fast then boom! I woke up in the hospital with a broken arm and I can’t move any of my fingers. My hand is my life you know? I can’t draw without it. I’m really glad that after a few months of therapy, it was okay.”

I saw James looking at me and said, “Not bad. Not bad at all.”

“What do you mean?” I started to get curious.

He stood up and walked towards the sea with his back to me. “Your reason. The reason why you decided to drive that car in that situation.” His voice was becoming louder and harsher.

I also stood up and went near him. “What are you talking about? I can’t understand you. A while ago you’re being nice. But now, you look like you wanted to hit me. What’s gotten into you?” I asked. He seemed angry.

He faced me and looked at me directly in the eyes. I can see his fist forming into a ball. “The accident. My fiancée died because of the accident. I was so exhausted from work that she volunteered to drive for me. It happened that day, that day you were driving recklessly. It was my car you collided with. I lost the girl I love because of you. It was okay if I was the one who died, but no. She died and left me all alone.”

I was so shocked. It was my fault. Is that why he’s here? To take revenge on me? “Did my parents know about this?”

“Your dad knew. This vacation is my condition for me to convince Monique’s parents to drop their case against you. This place, she wanted to go here before she died but I didn’t have the chance to bring her here. I researched about your background and I figured that you have grandparents who live here so, I told your dad that if he let me stay here, I’ll convince her family to let go of the case.” He said. “I didn’t know you’re coming here. It was unexpected. I think your Dad wanted me to know what really happened so that I’ll understand. That’s why he sent you here.”

I just shook my head and was speechless. I didn’t know what to say to him. I cried and got hurt because of a guy. I didn’t even know that I have taken an innocent life because of my stupidity. If only I didn’t drive in that condition, this wouldn’t happen. I wasn’t thinking. I didn’t know what to do. I was shocked. And a case? Will it be the end for me and my dreams? Tears began to fall down my cheeks. I was about to drop on my knees when he caught me. I can’t move my body. Then, he carried me inside the house.

“What happened to her?” My grandfather asked. “Put her down over here.”

James put me down in one of the sofa. “What happened?” My grandmother came in and went beside me. “Dear, are you alright?”

“I told her. I told her everything.” James said. “I think it gave her a shock.”

Their voices became blurred. I can’t hear them any longer. My eyes were about to shut. Everything went black.