Chapter 4

We left Tito Johnny while he was talking with his other guests. Carlos accompanied me and led me towards the garden. It was very beautiful. There was a gazebo in the middle. “I designed this garden.” Carlos said as soon as we reached the gazebo.

        I looked at him and said, “Really? I’m impressed.” I was really impressed. It was really beautiful.

        “It’s a result from the landscape architecture classes my dad wanted me to take. I guess it paid off.”

        “It’s amazing.” I said as I looked at the scenery and the sky.

        “Ara.” I looked at him and he continued, “Are you okay? Don’t mind my asking. But what really happened? Mico won’t even tell me the reason why he ended it. Is it really because of that Stephanie? You know, you looked good together. I witnessed how much you loved each other very much. I remember the time when he even threatened me, his best friend, not to go near you. He said he was jealous of me because we always see each other. I even knew the time when he got your number. He asked me if it was alright to call a girl even though he’s not yet courting her. I didn’t know that this red umbrella girl was you until his parents’ anniversary party.”

         “Red umbrella girl? I didn’t know that he used to call me that.” I just smiled at him.

        “I used to call you that before I knew it was you.”

        I just looked at him and smiled. “I’m still lucky you know because I have you. Instead of hanging out with Mico, you’re here with me, his ex-girlfriend. It somewhat tells me that I’m more important than someone you know your whole life. Thank you, Carlos. You don’t know what this means to me.”

        “You’re forgetting something. You became my friend first before you became his girlfriend. You can tell me everything. And I think Mico just made the greatest mistake of his life.”

        “Do you really want to know what happened?” I asked him. He nodded. I took a deep breath and started, “Actually, up until now, I still don’t know what happened. It was so sudden. We were happy the day before. I didn’t know that there was a problem until the night we broke up.” I can still remember everything that happened that day. I can still feel the pain I felt then. Tears started to fall again as I continued, “He met someone new. You’re right. He met that girl, Stephanie. He said he fell in love with her the moment he laid eyes on her. After everything I did for him, he just left me for her.” I immediately wiped my tears because I saw Mico coming towards us. I think Carlos also realized it and tried to cover me while I was wiping my tears. He even gave me his handkerchief.

        “Carlos,” We both looked where the voice came from. It was Mico, but Stephanie was not with her. I think he didn’t want Stephanie to be involved. He looked at my direction. “Ara.” I heard him say my name. I can’t look at him anymore. “Can we talk?”

        They just looked at me for a response. I was silent for a couple of seconds when Carlos answered for me. “Bro, I don’t think it is the right time to talk to her. It will be best if you leave her alone for now. Besides, she’s not your responsibility anymore. I can take care of her.”

        “I just wanted to apologize for everything. Ara, I’m so sorry.”

        “Please, Mico. Not now. It’s still fresh for her. You can’t do anything about it. Even if you say sorry now, it would not change the fact that you have hurt her.”

         Yes. It would not change that fact. His sorry would not change anything. He will not come back to me anymore. Tears started to flow again. I’m so tired of it but no matter how I tried to stop it, they just flow even more. I can’t take it anymore. I don’t want to see his face. I want to forget everything about him. I turned my back and walk away from them. “Ara!” I heard them both calling my name but I ran as fast as I could inside the house. I searched for my friends and bid them farewell. They tried to convince me to stay but I can’t do that. I have to be by myself. I wanted to be alone. I don’t want to see his face. I don’t want to see anybody right now. I was lucky my parents let me drive our car. I drove away from him, away from everything, and away from everyone. I was not thinking while driving. I just cried and drove as fast as I could. I didn’t care about anything. I didn’t know where to go. I just drove and drove. I didn’t know where I was. I just want to get away. I just want everything to end. I don’t deserve this. I don’t deserve to be hurt this way. I loved him so much. I loved him too much that I can’t let go. But I know I can’t have him back. But I have no means of forgetting him. I know I can never move on. He’s the only one for me. I can’t live without him. I’d rather die than live without him by my side.

         I began to be aware of where I was. I realized that I was moving so fast. I tried to slow down but it won’t. The break wasn’t working. I began to panic and didn’t know what to do. Is this the end for me? I asked myself. I realized that I haven’t reached my dreams. I wasn’t ready. It’s his fault. He ruined everything. It’s entirely his fault. Everything was so fast around me. I saw a light in front of me and everything went black.