Chapter 22, The Trollhunter Returns

Jim ran as fast as he could to get away from Bular. He couldn't believe it. He was a monster. His brother was a monster too. How could he not care about hurting someone?

A strong force suddenly hit Jim from behind. As he tumbled and fell to the ground he dropped the amulet which rolled a good distance away.

The sudden strike made Jim disoriented, struggling to stand up. But to Jim's surprise something had already picked him and the amulet up, running off quickly despite Bular's roaring and shouting.

Jim was scared, and just held in tight to whatever had him, preparing for the worst.

When he finally stopped being jostled around, he opened his eyes. Though it didn't look like much, wherever he was looked kinda cool.

"You are going to fix this right now, Jim." Jim thought the voice sounded familiar, but he wasn't sure if he'd ever heard it before. "Who are you? What do I have to fix?" He was suddenly set down and a blue skinned troll looked at him closely.

"Do you not know who I am?" Jim just shook his head, puzzled.

The troll thought for a moment then smiled. "Well my name is Draal. I came seeking you to help. That is what the Trollhunter does, right?" Jim nodded, not really sure, but helping seemed like a better alternative than killing like his brother. "Yes, I'll help you however I can!" Jim said in excitement.

Draal nodded and began walking, motioning for Jim to follow. The two walked through the dark Trollmarket until they reached the depleted Heartstone. Draal looked at Jim when they arrived.

"Trollhunter, you have the power to help out everyone down here." Draal began to explain about the Heartstone,  and how 'only the Trollhunter could restore its power.'

"So, think you can help us?"

Jim nodded and looked up at the huge crystal. He wasnt sure if he could do it, but he had to try. The Trollhunter helped people, and that's what he was going to do. Jim placed his hand on the cold surface, and then the other. He waited for a moment, then closed his eyes.

Draal smirked as he watched Jim's marking appear, and the essence of the Heartstone begin to return. Jim had kept a lot more of the Heartstone's power than initially assumed after his father had taken some.

The Heartstone was almost fully restored, but remained a little grey towards the top. Jim marking faded and ge collapsed to the ground, the toll on his body was a heavy one. Draal sighed in relief that mist of the Heartstone was restored, and that Trollmarket began to brighten back up.

He scooped up Jim gingerly and held him up for all to see.

"Our Trollhunter has returned!"

---------------------

Bular was waiting under the bridge. He knew exactly where Draal had taken Jim, but he couldnt get in, as the hidden portal reflected pure Gumm-Gumms. He ground his teeth together in wait. Jim would have to come out sometime, and when he did, he would be right there waiting.

Hours passed, and the impatient prince was becoming antsy. What was happening to Jim in there? Torture? Brainwashing? He knew Jim's state of mind was weakened due to his memory loss. He'd probably believe every word he was being told, if any.

"Cone on, brother. Get your memories back. Fight whatever is happening to you in there."

------------------

Jim woke up to a huge troll and a smaller troll next to him. He sat up and looked around. "Uhh. Where is Draal?" The two trolls glanced at eachother before the smaller blue one stepped forward. "Master Jim, my name is Blinky. I dont know if you remember me, but we were friends! You, me, and Aarrgg here." He pointed at the big troll, who just waved back.

Jim closed his eyes to see if he could grasp any of his old memories, but nothing appeared. "Well, it's good to see you guys again!" He smiled, melting the two troll's metaphorical hearts.

"The feeling is mutual, my friend!" Blinky exclaimed. Jim stood up and looked around. "So, where is this again?" Jim asked, rubbing the back of his neck. "Ah, well this is your room, and your nest."

The half troll looked around and it did smell like him, but it also smelled like... Draal? He ignored it for now and admired his nest. It was very soft and comfortable to lay in.  He looked back at Blinky before he gasped and looked around frantically.

"Have you seen my amulet?" Blinky shrugged and began to look around as well. Aarrgg tried to help too, but the cave room was a bit too small for him. Jim suddenly had another flash of memory appear.

"Oh, wait!" He closed his eyes and wished the amulet away. Moments later it came flying past the two trolls and right to Jim, who caught it and smiled. "Found it!"

"Excellent job, master Jim!" Blinky exclaimed. The three soon made their way out of the cave and Jim was surprised to see how many trolls were waiting. They cheered for him once they saw him, and he felt really good being able to help all of them.

Draal appeared beside Jim, startling him somewhat. "In honor of Jim's return, we celebrate!"