Chapter 9, What is What?

Jim woke up to being alone, Toby wasn't there. He sat up and noticed more pillows and blankets at the foot of of the bed. He perked up and got to work on making the circle of comfortable items, as Toby might say, bigger. Jim purred in delight when he was done and then decided to stand up and leave the room, looking for Toby.

The curtains downstairs were open, and sunlight poured through them much to Jim's dismay. How long had he been asleep? Was it still the same day?

He heard some mumbling from downstairs, quickly picking up Toby's voice but not what he was saying. A high pitched voice was heard as well, but Jim didn't know who.

"Toby?" Jim called down the stairs, silencing the conversation that was taking place. He heard running and Toby appeared st the foot of the stairs, looking up at Jim.

"Hey buddy! Glad you're awake! Come on down." Jim began down the stairs but stopped, looking at all the open windows. Toby realized and closed the curtains to a window he was close to.

"Hey Eli, help me close the curtains. My friend doesn't like the light."

"Oh, alright!" The squeaky voice replied.

Jim growled slighty as he crept down the stairs as the sunlight was shut out. He walked over to Toby and looked at the small boy who looked up at him in awe.

"Toby, who's the toothpick?"

Jim positioned himself infront of Toby protectivley. Eli smiled and stuck his hand out to Jim. Jim resisted the urge to bite it.

"Eli Pepperjack, omega! Nice to meet you!" Jim blinked. "An omega too?" Eli nodded happily. "You scared the hell out of Steve earlier in the park. The weather cleared up since then."

Jim just nodded and walked around, sniffing the furniture. Eli awkwardly lowered his hand and sighed. He then leaned close to Toby and whispered in ear.

"I don't think Jim likes me."

"Eh, he seems bad at first but he's a nice guy. He just needs to warm up to you and you'll be buds in no time. Why don't you do some omega bonding time or something?" Toby gave Eli a small push forward.

"So, Jim... Toby has to do some stuff outside, and I thought we could hang out for a bit." Jim looked over at Toby, ignoring Eli for the most part.

"Where are you going?"

Eli looked disappointed and shook his head.

"No where at all Jim, I had a change of plans. Eli, you can go in my place." Toby pushed Eli towards the door. Jim stepped further back to stay out of the light of the open door.

"But I thought-"

Toby shut the door on Eli and looked back at Jim, who smiled a bit and walked over. Toby patted Jim on the arm. "Let's play a video game Jimbo! C'mon!" Jim nodded eagerly, purring a bit. He had no idea what a video game was but if Toby sounded so enthusiastic then it was surly going to be good.

They played till dusk, then Toby yawned and set his controller down. "Alright, I'm beat. I'm gonna go to sleep." Jim perked up and watched as Toby walked out of the room, coming back with a blanket and a pillow and putting them on the floor beside the bed.

"What are you doing?"

"Setting up a place to sleep since you decided to turn my bed into your nest. I'm flattered, really." Toby said with a toothy grin. Jim looked at the bed. A nest? Is that what he made? Neither Gunmar or Bular talked to him about being an omega, so he had nothing to go on but instincts ingrained in his mind.

"Sorry, I can fix it to its back to how it was before."

"No! Like I said, it means your comfortable around me and you feel safe with me."