Chapter 12, Stealth Mission

Jim and Toby walked to the museum in silence. Jim was preoccupied with sniffing himself again.

"Alright Jim, were here!" Toby whispered in excitment. Jim looked up at the building.

"This place is not heavily guarded at all."

"It still has a security guard though, and I'll definetly go to jail if I get caught. You, you'll probably be okay." Toby glanced around and then smiled, seeing a small window and running up to it. He was too short to reach however, sighing and looking at Jim for help.

Jim smiled in amusement and lifted  Toby up so he could mess with the window. Once he got it open he had Jim push him through. He fell with a loud thud while Jim landed on his feet silently next t o him, closing the window and locking it again to cover their tracks. Toby hadn't thought about that.

"Good thinking, Jimbo!"

Jim nodded, tilting his head. Did humans not cover their tracks? He thought it was only natural for stealth missions. Toby was on the move already, running off. Jim only had to speed walk to keep him with him, so he took a look around.

The humans had interesting artifacts put in boxes of clear crystal. Some were more interesting than others, but Jim liked them all the same.

"Jim! Stop! The museum lady is still here too!" Toby whispered, hiding behind a corner. Jim looked at the woman. He was too far away to smell her but she seemed kind of odd for a human. Or at least what he had seen of humans. He supposed he could grab a snack once they were done, as long as Toby didnt see.

Jim purred at the thought of human flesh, stopping as the woman looked their direction. She had good hearing. Jim watched as she scanned the darkness for the noise. Toby was silently freaking out, taking deep breaths. The woman seemed suspicious, but turned away and walked off.

"She's gone." Jim whispered to Toby. Toby nodded and quickly headed onward, Jim following silently behind. Jim didn't like that they were going so slow, but he figured he'd be lenient with his human friend's lack of abilities.

Soon the two reached a blocked off area covered by two large white tarps. Jim took the lead now, walking over and peeking through. His eyes widened as he saw a familiar looking structure, not in its entirety though. Half a bridge, no, half of Killahead itself stood before him.

"Jim! Don't! The exhibit is this way!" Toby shouted as Jim ran towards it anyway. Something suddenly pinned him down on the floor.

"Tresspassing is prohibited. But you humans will make a delicious-" there was a gasp and suddenly the weight on Jim lifted and he jumped up quickly, meeting a pair of green eyes. A changeling stood infront of him.

"Is that you Jim? Gunmar's son?" Jim nodded quickly, feeling a sudden joy race through his body. "This is great! Your highness, I am the changeling Nomura. Let's inform your father quickly. But how did you get here?"

Jim laughed. "I actually snuck in with my human friend to see the new exhibit before tomorrow. I must say I'm quite a fan." Jim said while making a 'nudge nudge' and gesturing to the bridge.

Nomura started laughing at Jim's humor but then stopped herself, apologizing. "Sorry my prince. That wasn't very professional of me... wait, did you say a human friend?"

Jim nodded and looked back at the white tarp. "Toby, come on out. Shes not going to hurt you. And if she tries, I'll protect you."

Toby burst through the tarps and was glued to Jim's side.

"Oh thank goodness. You're the best Jimbo." Toby said with a breath of relief. Nomura looked at the human and then at Jim.

"So, we can go talk to your father now. Your pet can come too. He won't be allowed to go back now that he's seen Killahead."

"He's not my pet. I said friend, okay?"

Nomura sighed and nodded, walking and motioning Jim to follow.

"Hey Jimbo, I'm kind of freaking out... is that thing like you?" Toby whispered.

"No, she's a changeling... oh. She's the lady we saw before. Makes sense now.." Jim muttered the last bit to himself. Toby had no idea what to say, everything was just going so crazy.

He hadn't seen the exhibit he wanted to, but something more interesting happened so he found peace in that... sort of.

The three left the museum, Nomura in her human form. She walked to a car and opened the passenger door. "My prince." She smiled and gestured at the car.

Jim stared at the strange contraption, then at Toby. His friend laughed and grabbed Jim'shand, walking him over and explaining a car to him. He helped Jim into the car and did his seatbelts for him.

Nomura watched and then nodded to herself. This human was a guide to the prince. She still didn't see a friend though, only a pet.

She got in the car and then drove to the Janus order. Jim looked as everything sped by around them. He also found the window control, sticking his head out and feeling the breeze.

When they arrived Toby helped Jim out of the car and the three walked into the building. Jim looked around the small, dark room, sniffing the air. It smelled like a bunch of changelings in one place.

"Where is everyone?" Jim and Toby both jumped a bit then the floor started going down like an elevator. When they reached the bottom, doors opened to a bright circular hallway.

"This way, my prince."

Nomura smiled and began walking. Jim looked at the changelings walking by in masks. They all seemed surprised to see him, but showed him proper respect by bowing.

They came into a room where a small circular portal was. A goblin was waiting by it, standing up when it saw Jim. It then scurried inside the portal. Jim walked towards the portal in relief and slight disappointment as it was too small for him to fit through. But at least he could see his father and brother, or at least stick his hand in to hold theirs.

He stuck his face into the portal as much as he could, the stale air 9f the Darklands hitting his nose. He smiled and looked around. "Brother! Father!" No one answered, but it wasn't long before he heard rumbling footsteps and saw his father running up. He smiled happily, then looked around for Bular, but didn't see him.

His smile faded only slightly but he was still very happy to see his father who knelt down and touched his cheek.

"I'm glad your well son. I have something to discuss with you..."