Chapter 24, bad night

Jim bolted through the trees, tackling the unwary human to the ground. The dog began barking and trying to attack  Jim as he savagely tore into its owner. Jim just bit the leash and shoved the dog away before dragging the limp body back to the woods. Bular was ecstatic. "Excellent work, brother." He let Jim eat, and then the two were back on the prowl. Jim caused fewer problems now that he was somewhat sated. But his eyes remained the pitch-black color they had been.

The who quietly wandered around town, when Bular decided to try another experiment. He led them over to that human's house that Jim had been so fond of. It would be good to tie up some loose ends while he couldn't remember anything. Bular chuckled darkly. "Brother, there is another human up there, go get it." Jim looked at the top window and then climbed up the house where he stared through the window.

Toby was focused on a video game, unaware of the pair of eyes that watched his every move. Toby groaned when lost, setting the controller down and standing up to stretch. He just happened to glance over, and when he did his heart sank. He stumbled to the floor at the terrible sight. It was definitely Jim, but he was covered head to toe in what liked like blood. And it was smeared on the window as the half troll's face was pressed to the window.

Not sure what to do, Toby approached the window and locked it. Good thing Jim hadn't tried anything earlier, he thought. He felt extremely uncomfortable as he stared into Jim's pitch black eyes. He slowly backed away from the window  when Jim wisened up and tried to open the window, and succeeded, lifting the window and busting the weak lock.

"Uhh Jimbo... what happened to you..?" Toby asked nervously, looking for something to throw as Jim crawled in through the window slowly and continued encroaching on him. Jim bared his teeth, letting out a low growl. Toby sighed and laughed hysterically. "Jimbo... I'm kinda of freaking out a bit..." Toby suddenly had an idea and picked up a dirty sock off the ground, tossing it at Jim who caught it and chewed on it, stopping his advance.

Toby found more bits of dirty clothes and junk and began tossing them over to Jim who ate each item. Toby slowly got closer with each item until he was right infront of the blood covered troll. "Hey Jim, how are you feeling? You must be scared right? I know something must have happened to you." Toby placed a hand shakily on Jim's head, ruffling his hair and giving him another sock with his free hand. Jim ate it, eyes portraying pain. Toby sighed, wishing he could help.

A booming voice startled both of them. "Brother! Have you killed that pathetic human yet?" Jim frowned and Toby backed up as the half troll nipped at his hand. Toby barely dodged Jim's sudden leap, and ran to the window, yelling at Bular. "No soliciting!" He shouted, panicking at the last moment before he could tell the troll off, shutting the window quickly. He moved out of the way again, tossing more trash to Jim. He pulled out his phone and quickly bagan fiddling with it while him was distracted.

Soon, classical music began playing, startling Jim. But with more snacks he eventually began to calm down. Toby kept his distance, throwing a few things over to him as needed. Jim soon fell asleep on the floor, sprawled out. Toby tiptoed around him, setting down various blankets and pillows before sitting on his bed. "That was close... I wonder what happened to him..."

Bular huffed and circled the house the rest of the night. He would have busted in, but he could sense that Jim was sleeping. He didn't want to bother his little brother. Night soon turned to day and Bular had to retreat to the forest.

Toby yawned, he hadn't got an ounce of sleep, not wanting to become a snack for Jim. He watched the troll sleep soundly in the pile of blankets and pillows. The music had stopped, the phone's battery depleted. Jim yawned and Toby grabbed  a sock he had found, ready to throw it. Jim sat up and glanced around, head pounding. He glanced around the familiar room until his eyes rested on Toby. He seemed familiar too, but Jim couldn't put his finger on it.

"Who are you? Where am I?" Jim asked cautiously. "Well, I'm Toby. We were friends I suppose. This is my room." Jim nodded, standing up and looking at his hands and gasping at the dried blood. "Uh, why don't you go to the bathroom and get washed up? Do you remember how to do it? If not then I'll help you out, Jimbo." Jim gasped again, the nickname sounding very familiar.

"Toby?" Jim mumbled to himself, ear twitching. Toby sighed and took Jim by the hand, walking him to the bathroom. He helped him wash up, and gave him the spare set of clothes he had got for him. "There we go, all better!" Toby smiled after he finished blow drying Jim's fur. Jim liked the floofy feeling of his fur, purring.

"Thank you Toby!" He gushed. Toby laughed an nodded. "Of course."