Chapter 13, Bad News

Jim had his head in that portal for over an hour now. Toby was anxious, staying close to Jim as the changelings looked at him.

He didn't like it one bit and was more than ready to go home but couldn't leave without Jim. So he waited, and waited, and waited some more. Nomura hadn't left Jim's side either, patiently waiting as well.

"Hey kid." Nomura finally broke the silence. Toby jumped a bit and looked up at her.

"Y-yes..?"

"When we leave, you won't be telling a soul if you want to live. I know you cower behind the prince because you know he'll protect you, but what do you think will happen when he's not around to save you?"

Toby gulped. "I promise I won't say anything, ma'am."

He hoped throwing in some manners would keep him off of the changeling's hit list.

Jim finally pulled his head out of the portal, looking a bit down in the dumps and gloomy. Everyone took a step back in precaution. He may have been smaller than the other two Gumm-Gumm royals, but that wouldn't mean they took his possible anger lightly.

Only Toby stood by his friends side. He gently touched Jim on the arm. Jim looked down at him and sighed softly.

"Hey Jimbo, are you alright?"

Jim just looked away and started walking to the door. "Nomura, take us back up." Something in Jim's tone sounded very worrisome.

Nomura nodded quickly and led the two out. The sun was starting to rise to Jim's distaste, but he went outside anyway.

"Toby, I'm leaving for now. I'll see you later, perhaps. I enjoyed our little break-in. Let's do it again sometime."

Jim gave a halfhearted smile before running off, leaving Toby and Nomura standing there. Nomura sighed and walked to her car.

"Get in, I'll take you home."

Toby was about to accept it then realized he didn't want her to know where he lived.

"That's alright, I think I'll walk." He laughed nervously, rubning the back of his head. Nomura didn't find it humorous.

"I said get in."

"Yes ma'am."

----------------

Jim ran through the forest and slid down into the canal and under the bridge. He didn't have a horngazel with him, so he was stuck for now as the sun rose. He sat in the shadow of the bridge, thinking of his father's words.

He sighed sadly and shook his head, then he yelped suddenly as a hand pulled him into Trollmarket. He had been so preoccupied that he hadn't even noticed Vendel had opened up the portal for him to enter.

He looked up at the old troll and forced a small smile as he stood up.

"Hey, it's good to see you again Vendel."

Vendel smiled and nodded.

"Its good to see you too. I had a feeling that you might show up today. How was your visit with the human?"

Jim shrugged. "It was good. He showed me how to shower. Now I smell good!" Jim's tone lifted as he excitedly explained a shower to the old troll.

It made Vendel smile to see Jim happy. The two walked and talked all the way up to the Heartstone. Someone was already there, waiting.

Jim's smile faded as he looked at Kanjigar. The Trollhunter ran to Jim and looked him over.

"Are you okay? What happened? I couldn't find you anywhere!"