Chapter 7, A New Friend

Kanjigar was out every night till dawn now, constantly patrolling the forests and urging the humans to stay away from the woods. No new corpses had been spotted for the last week, but the Trollhunter knew better than to be at ease.

He often returned to the spot where the bones had been found. They had been buried by the Trollhunter himself. He would wait there for a while, to see if anyone or anything would return to the area. Nothing did. If only he was more vigilant before. He mentally kicked himself before something caught his ear from the distance. He drew Daylight and headed for the noise. With utmost caution he crept silently through the forest, soon spotting a rather pudgy individual.

"Human! You should not be in these woods."

The human male jumped and looked around. "Who's there? I'll get out of here I promise, I just wanted to look for my cat, he got out and my Nana is going to be sad if something happens to him."

"I will look for this cat, now leave this forest and look elsewhere."

For a troll, Kanjigar somehow was able to stay out of the humans view. But it being dark out helped as well.

"Well thanks I guess. I can tell you the address if you come out-"

"It won't be a problem. Leave now, these woods are dangerous."

The human was wishy-washy and though Kanjigar had a lot of patience he was becoming irritated.

"I will ask only once more, human. Leave this forest now or I will remove you myself."

A sound suddenly caught both of their attentions. A small troll clad in Gumm-Gumm armor leapt from the shadows infront of the human, who screamed and tried to run, although he wasn't that fast. Kanjigar was even more surprised that he hadn't smelled this Gumm-Gumm sooner.

He leapt out of his hiding spot as well to get ahold of the smaller troll, but underestimated the troll's speed as it dodged the attack and bolted after the human instead of fighting. The Trollhunter was once again surprised at the tactics this troll was displaying. Chasing after prey instead of fighting... unusual for Gumm-Gumms.

Kanjigar ran as well and caught up to the Gumm-Gumm and the still-screaming human. This Gumm-Gumm agent seemed to be well trained in agility, but maybe it couldn't fight well due to its diminutive size. Kanjigar reached out for the troll and was just about to grab it before a heavy force struck him from behind.

He stood quickly and turned around, standing face to face with Bular, the Gumm-Gumm prince. The same Gumm-Gumm who stole Jim away that night. Kanjigar felt rage welling up inside his chest but turned and ran, knowing that the human must be saved first and foremost. However Bular chased after him, and forced Kanjigar to focus on him.

The human had slowed down and the monster chasing him lunged at him, claws ready to tear his arms off. Whether it was a stroke of luck or not, the human boy tripped simultaneously with the monster's lunge, so the armored humanoid creature passed over him and tumbled to the ground a few feet away.

It recovered quickly and stood up, walking over to the boy and picking him up by his pullover sweater, lifting him off the ground.

"Let me go, I don't have any money, dude!"

The helmet started to retract, revealing sharp teeth and a gaping maw, ready to take a bite out of the boy, who just started yelling again. Kanjigar separated the two quickly, sending the armored troll into a tree.

"Run back home, and do not stop till you are inside your dwelling. Go!" Kanjigar shoved the human onward and this time, he did as told. Now it was just the two trolls. Kanjigar had to fight off Bular before he could catch up, and Bular had yet to come after him again.