Chapter 18, Who Are You?

Jim stared at the amulet. The glow had faded now so he looked at it closer. He saw the words engraved on the outer rim, slowing reading it under his breath.

"For.. the glory of..."

Bular touched Jim on the shoulder, pulling him out of his trance.

"Brother, it is time for us to go to Killahead."

Jim nodded and stood, holding the amulet tightly in his hand. Why it was even here in the first place was beyond his knowledge.

He looked at Toby who seemed very nervous.

"Don't be afraid, you're going to be the only human to witness and live when the bridge is open." Jim smiled at him reassuringly.

Toby shook his head at Jim, turning away.

"I'll admit it. I was only befriending you before... so you wouldn't eat me. But now that you are taking over the world or whatever, I think I'll go spend my last moments with my Nana."

Jim reached out to Toby who just darted off, pushing past changelings who just stood there, waiting for orders.

Jim felt another pain in his chest, falling to the ground and clenching the amulet tightly.

Everyone he met was afraid of him... everyone he met turned on him when they found out he was a monster just like his father.

"Jim, would you like me to fetch your human pet?"

Bular kneeled down beside him, looking at him in worry.

"No... Just let him go..." Jim mumbled. He got back to his feet slowly, eyes void of emotion.

"Let's just get this over with."

----------------

Toby stormed out of the building and back to his home. He felt bad for lying to Jim about the real reason he befriended him, but all that time they spent together Toby really thought of Jim as a close friend.

"Human!"

Toby jumped and looked around, he didn't recognize the voice until he saw who it belonged to.

"No, no more trolls for me. Go on now and take over the world."

Toby made a shooing gesture and began walking again. Kanjigar stopped Toby, looking at him with concern.

"What do you mean human?"

"I'm talking about Jim and his big scary brother talking about a spooky bridge in the museum to let their psycho dad out of some weird prison or something, then taking over the world! They were fine until they got that weird looking amulet."

Kanjigar lifted Toby up by his sweater.

"Tell me where they are!"

Toby yelped when Kanjigar raised his voice.

He pointed down the road. Kanjigar dropped him and dashed off in the specified direction.

Toby shook is head as he watched the troll run off. This was getting too nuts for him.

Kanjigar picked up the pace. He had to catch them. What was wrong with the amulet? Why did it go to them? Who did it go to?

Draal suddenly was beside his father.

"I saw you running, you have a lead then?"

Kanjigar nodded.

"They have the Amulet."

‐----------------

The brothers walked silently to the museum. Jim glanced around the empty streets, his chest feeling tight and his stomach twisting in guilt.