Chapter 15, Reawakened

Jim woke up, feeling awful. His body ached from the bar fight and his head pounded from the glug. He barely managed to sit up.

He was still on the stone outcropping of the cavern wall. He looked at the Heartstone and sighed, remembering everything. It was now or never, he supposed. The faster he got this over with, the faster he could see his family again.

He peeked over the ledge and saw Draal. He was leaning against the wall, sleeping.

Jim caught himself staring, shaking his head and scowling. He stood up and stretched, then began his descend. He took care to make sure he was as silent as possible, then jumped down quietly and looked at Draal who was still sound asleep.

He then slinked away from the troll a few feet before he took off running towards the Heartstone.

He got to the top and saw Vendel inside. He felt a pang in his heart but he forced himself to ignore it. He was the son of Gunmar. He did as asked, no questions... and no regrets.

He slowly put his hands on the yellow stone and watched as the color began to fade and his golden markings began to slowly appear, creeping up his arms.

Vendel made a noise from inside, startling Jim who preemptively pulled his hands away. He suddenly started to feel guilty as he looked at his hands and then the Heartstone. He backed away and looked around frantically.

Maybe he still had time.

He watched as his glow fade and the darkness was dilute in the stone before running off. He stumbled along the way, falling to the ground and rolling a bit.

He got back up and looked back at the Heartstone, feeling the guilt rising again. He couldnt control it, and it made him frustrated. He wasn't supposed to feel guilty about any of this.

He ran to the training area, ignoring the pounding headache. He then trained relentlessly for what seemed hours. He had messed up more times than he could count.

And his body was proof.

He had more cuts on his face and a big gash on his back from one of the large swinging axes that was apart of the training platform. His knuckles were bloodied as well from him throwing a tantrum and punching the wall a few times.

He sat down by the weapon rack, holding his head and rubbing his temples.

"There you are Jim!"

Jim looked up, his mind playing tricks on him.

"Bular?"

Draal stopped running over, now slowly walking.

"Jim, what's the matter? Why do you look like you've been beat half to death?"

He kneeled beside Jim and had him look at him.

Jim's eyes were very unfocused as he just stared blankly. It was as if Jim didn't even see him at all. He waved a hand infront of Jim's eyes. Nothing.

"Bular. I missed you."

Jim suddenly hugged Draal, then went limp as the rest of his strength finally left him, his arms falling to his sides.

Draal panicked and lifted him up, running him to Vendel.

"Vendel! Its urgent!"

The old troll looked up from what he was doing and then quickly cleared the table as soon as he saw Jim.

"By Deya, what happened??"

"He was training, but then I think he started to see things. He called me Bular, twice."