Chapter 42

I faintly hear scissors snap,I guess their cutting the umbilical cord before I look with blurry eyes at the doctor as she hands my baby girl to one of the nurses who then quickly cleans her up before gently placing her in my arms.

A sob breaks through me as I watch my daughter's cries decrease into small whimpers. She wiggles in my arms before getting comfortable.

I stare at her in awe,adoration and love. This is my baby girl. She has arrived. Even though she has horrible timing,she is here. Alive and kicking. Diagnosed healthy and very strong.

Everything else fades away as I stare at her. My mouth wobbles before another sob leaves my mouth. She is beautiful.

"My baby" I croak,softly running my thumb over her soft cheek. Just as I open my mouth to tell her how beautiful she is,she opens her eyes. "Aww" I sob.

She blinks up at me with her father's eyes and I sneak my finger into her clenched fists. She squeezes it before giving me the most cutest gummy smile I've ever see.

"You look just like him" I whisper and smile back at her.

"Lucy,sorry to disturb your little moment but your family outside is getting quite restless. Their demanding to see you,should we let them in?" The nurse gently asks,smiling down at me with a look that says 'I kniw exactly how you feel right now. I've veen there too'

Her smile warms my heart. I nod at her before casting my gaze down to my little bundle of joy.

"I hope you were making her feel comfortable and safe during her birth because I swear.." My father's threatening voice is what I hear first as he and everybody else enter the room.

"Ahh! No! That's something I never want to see ever in my life!" Luke screeches after he walks in and slams his palms over his eyes.

"What are you talki-oh shi- no!" Alec yells. He covers his eyes as his face turns a deep crimson.

"Oh sweetie. Close your legs will you? Your scarring the poor boys" Mom giggles and walks towards me. My face grows hot as realisation sinks in.

I've had my legs wide open for the world to see this entire time and what's more embarrassing is that Luke,Alec and my dad saw my wooha! I'm sure it doesn't look that pretty down there,given what just happened. Mrs. Grey-I mean Ella, slides the blanket over my now-closed legs before gently patting them.

"Are the gates of hell closed?" Luke asks and I roll my eyes.

"Luke!" Dad hisses before sighing. "It's okay. You can look now" He mumbles.

With hesitation they slowly turn around. Once they realise that 'the gates of hell' are closed,they loudly sigh in relief before making their way over.

"Aww she's so cute" Mom whispers and gently squeezes her cheek.

"I must say,she looks just like him but with different hair and a nose" Ella informs as she observes the baby in my arms. Her sort of grandchild.

"I agree" Alec voices. "Unfortunately" He mumbles shortly after.

"Shit,Monkey bars" Luke says then gets a slap behind his head from our dad for his language. "You just shoved a whole baby out of you. How do you feel?" He asks,mimicking an interviewer and holds out his clenched hand as though he was holding a microphone.

"Like shi-poop" I simply say. They softly chuckle before going back to oogling her.

"What is her name?" Ella asks,breaking the silence.

I sigh. "I don't know. I've decided to name her once Cole is awake and is well" I reply honestly. I feel like if I name her without his input,I'd be robbing him a chance to do something very important for his baby.

I mean he already missed her birth which I know he'll be heartbroken about and he wasn't there to cut the umbilical cord too so maybe if he gets to choose her name,he'll feel a lot better.

"Okay" Ella smiles. I know she knows why I've decided to let Cole decide the name judging by that look on her face. "I'd love to stay and everything,honey but I must go check on Cole. See how he is doing" She says after five more minutes of silence.

"It's okay. I understand. Thank you for being here" I say and she nods.

"I'll be outside" She whispers to Alec before leaving.

Alec sighs before walking closer to the bed. "I'm sorry we didn't get there on time to save him. He would have been here with you,instead he is laying on a bed unconscious as the doctors work on healing him as best as they can" He says,remorse and sadness drawn all over his face.

"It's okay,Al. You wouldn't have known this was going to happen but I think Mr. Grey would have found out sooner or later. And I don't think his reaction would have been any different nonetheless. Sure it was bad but it was bound to happen. Cole knew that and that's why he didn't want to tell him. It isn't yours or Ella's fault. You didn't know" I assure him and pat his tense bicep.

He sighs again. "Alright. Let me just go check on his status. I'll come back and tell you what's up once I know" He says then kisses my sweaty forehead and leaves.

Mom offers to take the baby once she notices my drooping eyes and I agree. All of today's events are catching up to me and I'm feeling very tired and sleepy.

The last thing on my mind are a pair of cold grey eyes before everything fades into darkness.