Chapter 44

"We need to talk" I cringe just as soon as those words leave my lips. That sounded worse than what I'm about to reveal.

"Oh my. I wonder what I've done this time. Is this because I'm the one who finished all of the junk food in your secret stash? I swear I'll replace it with one that is ten times better and bigger" He attempts to lighten the mood but I don't even crack a smile. I'm too sad to.

"I think we should uh break up" I whisper,completely ignoring his joke and Alec freezes.

Maybe if I get straight to the point then this will all be over soon.

"What? Why?" He croaks,his face completely shocked.

"I..I just want to focus on my daughter and I don't think having a relationship is going to help me in any way" I lie. "I still want to be your friend though" I add as an extra thought,to just get it out there.

"Bullshit!" He spits. "This is about your feelings for Cole isn't it?"

"No it's not" I sob. I feel my body shake with unreleased sobs.

He sighs and runs a hand through his hair for the millionth time before walking towards me. A soft look playing on his adorable yet sickly pale looking face.

"Lucy,you don't have to lie to me. I know how you feel about him and I was expecting this to happen at some point. Sure it still hurts like a bitch but I knew this was going to happen" He mumbles and kisses me on the cheek softly.

"I'm so sorry for doing this to you,Al. You deserve so much and I'm sorry for not being able to give you that"

"Shh. It's okay" He whispers in my ear and wraps his arms around me,hugging me. "I shouldn't have forced this relationship on you when I knew that you'll never feel the same way. I know your heart is with Cole and his is with you. I'm actually the wedge stopping you two from being with each other"

I let out an ugly laugh-sob at his words.

After a while, he pulls away and gently grabs my daughter from my arms and speaks to her in some baby language only he can understand.

I'm so lucky to have a friend like Alec.

》》

A month.

It's been a whole fucking month since Cole landed in hospital due to his father. Mr. Grey went to jail immediately. Reason why is because he was actually laundering drugs and scammed a bunch of companies to get money. Ofcourse he went to jail for assualt too.

Ella was heartbroken after hearing about what Mr. Grey did but soon learnt to accept it.

I was discharged from hospital two days after I gave birth. I was excited to go home but depressed that Cole still hasn't woken up.

Unfortunately, his body slipped into a coma due to the stress and the doctors aren't sure when he'll wake up.

I visit him everytime I can and sometimes I bring our daughter with too. I don't visit much because I have to take care of the baby and I can't leave her with Luke because he went back to college.

College. A saddening topic for me since I have to take a gap year to take care of my daughter and earn some money.

Right now, I'm in Cole's room with our sleeping daughter in my arms. I stare at her pale father.

The small cuts on his face have healed. The two blue eyes he had have faded into small unnoticeable bumps under his eyes and the cut on his lip has closed up too. The swollen cheeks he had have decreased, returning back to normal.

The cast on his fingers and leg have been removed, leaving a bandage wrapped around them.

Honestly he looks very well, he just needs to wake up. That's all.

As I stare at him, my mood saddened at the sight of his closed eyes instead of his cold gray ones.

I miss him. I miss him a lot.

To engrossed on the sight of Cole, I don't notice the figure entering the room.

My gaze slowly moves from Cole to the figure. To my surprise, it's Mindy.

"What are you doing here?" I croak, my voice hoarse from the sobbing I did last night.

"I came to see him" She snaps.

Too tired to retort back, I sigh. "Okay" She seemed surprised at my answer. Mhm. Yeah I know you expected me to cheek you back but I really don't feel like it.

"What's wrong with you?" She asks after coming out of her surprise.

"Nothing" I whisper and move my gaze back to Cole.

Soon, Mindy's sobs drown out the steady beep coming from the machine connected to Cole.

"I'm sorry, Lucy" She sobs, confusing me.

Am I hearing right? Did Miranda just apologise to me?

"For what?" I ask.

"Everything" She says. "You didn't deserve the treatment that I gave you. As cliche as it is, I was jealous of you. I saw the way Cole looked at you that night at the party and I saw you two disappear in your room too.

My jealousy worsened when I found out you were pregnant. I knew immediately that it was Cole because he is the only guy you've been with. The jealous just grew into rage.

I've always wanted Cole's attention and to see him give that attention to you... I lost it. I wanted revenge. I slept with your brother, praying you would find out. When you didn't, I was even more pissed.

I planted these ideas in Cole's head to make him hate you. I was the one who told him to call you all those ugly names. I demanded the whole school do it too.

I promise there were lots of people who emphasized you and wanted to know if you wanted someone to talk to but I shut that idea out of their minds.

I knew my words to Cole wouldn't have that much of an affect for that long when you told him the truth. I'm so sorry.

I lost my mind when I kept seeing your stomach grow as I grew with envy.

I was supposed to be like you. I was supposed to- Her words get cut off with a heartbreaking sob.

I know now who Cole was talking about.