XXXIII

Tessa gasped as she forced her eyes open, still feeling Will's hand laced against hers and in a moment of confusion, wondered why Jem's hand left hers. She realized the answer as soon as she finally saw the scenery in front of her. Somehow, she and Will got separated from the gang.

"Where are we?" Will asked as the dawn of realization started to hit him.

"Times Square." Tessa murmured. Times Square on this time of noon is littered usually with teenagers messing around with their peers. Tessa saw some smoking pot stashes, some displaying their affections to their partners way too intimately, some just joking around and so many more things Tessa could barely keep up.

Her phone rang and vibrated. Tessa immediately picked it up. Her eyes widened out of thankfulness as soon as she read who the caller is, and answered it up with a sigh of relief.

"Tessa." Magnus was also relieved on the other line. Apparently, so was the relieved sighs on the background."Is Will with you?"

Tessa stared at Will in reassurance. Will is frowning at her - or at her phone to be precise. "Yes." She breathed. "Will is with me. Where are you guys?"

"Inside the Institute." Magnus replied. "Where are you?"

"Times Square." Tessa said. "Magnus, how did this happen?"

"The portal probably failed." Said someone frustratingly from the  background, possibly Clary. Tessa heard faint noises of comfort from the other line. This made Tessa frown. "Magnus, are you in loudspeaker?" She demanded.

"I had to." Magnus said. "All of us here are panicking. Especially Jem. It's a good thing you picked up. We thought you and Will lost focus and were trapped in your own personal limbos."

Tessa bit her lip. She felt like she should say something to Jem. She forced her mind to think of any words, any phrase to say to Jem. But somehow she can't bring herself to. Maybe it is because Magnus is on loudspeaker, and love declarations or anything of the same sort is too inappropriate to say whenever someone is listening, much less a small group. Modern day people are doing it, but Tessa just don't feel like following.

Ah, well she is getting old.

Tessa stared at Will one more time, his eyes shining with curiosity, then stared at her surroundings. Yes, perhaps a nice little walk around the Times Square would be fine. Before she could rethink her decision, she already answered. "Magnus, I think Will likes to have a walk around here."

Magnus made an approving sound from the other line. "You know your way around New York, yes?"

"Is that a serious question, Magnus?" Tessa said, unimpressed. "Because in my ears they sound like mocking."

"Hey, sorry to offend you but I do not mean it that way." There's enough humor and sincerity on Magnus' tone to impress Tessa. "Anyway, have fun!" Magnus' cheery voice lasted for a moment; he hung up afterwards, leaving Tessa groaning.

Tessa stared back at Will, who is still frowning curiously at her, which Tessa found actually cute. She wished Will showed this side of him more often back in her days with him. "You can talk to Magnus even if he's not anywhere?" He asked.

"In a manner of speaking," Tessa managed a wide smile. "Yes."

"Are we going home?"

Tessa side-smirked. "Times Square is beautiful this time of the day." She said. "Would you mind walking with me around for a while?"

Even without glamour runes, Tessa is pretty sure she and Will can blend in, though the rune marks, both faded and fresh would still draw frowns and glances. Will is wearing a black polo and matching colored jeans from Alec. The polo hugged Will's body perfectly. Before Tessa could stop herself, she blocked Will's way and undid the first button of his shirt, earning a dirty smirk from Will. As soon as she realized what she's done, Tessa pulled her hand away and looked down in embarrassment.