XXIX

Later that day, Tessa woke up groggily from her short slumber here on the table. She is alone. Her only company which she also used as a makeshift pillow is an old, leather bound book about demons - she is not surprised. She just picked a random book on this library housing cult knowledge and another book that caught her groggy gaze as soon as she woke up.

"Will." She breathed. Lazily, she stood up, picked the books and began her search for the right shelves for this books. She found the shelf where she picked her demonology handbook way easier, considering this vast library's vast amount of history, semantics and demonology books. She went out of the cold library shivering as soon as she's done with her task.

Tomorrow is the day; the last ball she attended was from 7, 8 decades ago. Tessa wanted to put the dress she bought on and drag Jem to the Institute's ballroom and ask him to formally teach her to dance. She threw another glance at her dress, before neatly returning it to her wardrobe.

The door to her room creaked open. Tessa hastily went out of her wardrobe to see who just entered her room. Why she feels all jittery all of a sudden, she does not know. Tessa just smiled when she saw the guy who entered her room, and her smile widened when Jem frowned.

"Am I disturbing?" Jem inquired. Tessa shook her head and smiled sheepishly. "No!" Tessa let out a nervous laugh. "I mean, it's just that I'm checking my dress out to see if -"

"Ah, I see." Jem said. "I must say that I'm also feeling nervous for tomorrow."

"Why?"

Jem shrugged. "I haven't danced, even before I entered the Brotherhood."

Tessa could only gape. Surely, he must've been in a ball even before she arrived in London back then. As much as Jem's revelation caught her, it also came to her that it is because of his condition that prevented him from doing things - even the simple waltz.

She decided not to bring that up.

An amused look showed on Jem's face. "What's with the look?"

Tessa chuckled. "We both have the same reason to be nervous for tomorrow."

They both giggled at the statement.

Still shaking from laughter, Jem asked Tessa, "Care to dance with me?"

It was Tessa's turn to frown. "Here? But we do not have -"

"We don't need music. I might add..." Jem said, "...that I am also aware that I might step on your foot. So it's a fair play."

"How?" Tessa teased. "Because we both can't dance due to the lack of experience?"

Jem's eyes glinted. "Maybe."

Tessa said nothing. Instead she just put her hands around Jem's neck. Jem put his hands around Tessa's waist as a response.

Front, back. Front, back. Their rhythm remained like this. Tessa smiled. So she can still do the waltz, eh? Tessa yelped when Jem spun her unexpectedly and made her rest on his shoulder. "You're not expecting that?" He playfully mocked. "Remind me to warn you that I'll spin you next time."

"No need to."  Tessa said and spun out of Jem's body but not letting go. She spun back with grace Jem almost didn't caught Tessa's hand when she grabbed his. She looked down at Tessa who is smiling. "I can still do that."

"Good for you then." Jem said. They then repeated the rhythm they had a while ago for a few more moments.

Suddenly, it just got hot for Tessa. Without even realizing what she was doing, she pushed Jem right to the bed and went on top of him. Jem snickered. "You might want to know that there's an individual beside our room."