VIII

Maryse let Will took the room just next to Tessa's and Jem. The two of them are perfectly allowed to stay in the same room, but from all the events that happened for the past few hours, Maryse insisted that the three of them have their separate rooms. Ironically, it was Will who contradicted, and it was Jem who nodded enthustiastically.

Tessa got the room they had a few days ago. Jem and Will's rooms are both dusty and smelled of old carpeting. It isn't that bad,though. All of the rooms have queen sized beds with comforters. All had windows that allowed everyone to have a view of New York during nighttime. Maryse gave them two extra air fresheners. Jem had to grasp Will's wrist to prevent him from having a bite on it.

Will found it odd that he could not sleep in the middle of the night when he felt really drained and exhausted. The vanilla scented air-freshener thingy did little help to him. Maybe it's because of the dusty sheets, or the dusty room that keeps him awake. Or maybe it was the questions that kept running in his head.

Is Jem Tessa's husband in this time?

Will did not even had to ask. It's fairly obvious. He saw the way they show affection to each other. He saw the way they talk to each other. He saw the way he -

Shut it. Maybe Will is dead in this time. Jem deserves to get the happiness he deserved. So was Tessa's. They both need a chance. He is supposed to - He is happy for the both of them. But still...

Thinking of this thoughts made Will remember the night he confessed his feelings for Tessa, he remembered how he kissed her. He remembered how Tessa told him that she is engaged with Jem. He remembered how he expected Tessa to go out of the drawing room and tell him that she loves him back. He remembered going absent-mindedly in his parabatai's room where music flowed, feeling a deadly exhaustion as his heart's shattered pieces were crushed to powder.

He really wants to sleep beside Tessa at least for tonight. He wanted to hold her until they fell asleep. He wanted to do it badly.

And he is fighting it.

She's married not to you for Raziel's sake. Jem is supposed to be the one doing such things to her. Even if you used to be her husband-

Will's exhaustion were somehow replaced by an overflowing energy. He reached for the door. Where am i supposed to go?

Tessa found the bed too big for her alone. She wished Jem would sleep beside her so that she will not feel alone and lonely and empty.

The door creaked faintly. Tessa looked on instinct. She paled when she saw a familiar figure smiling at her.

"Jem?" she asked. She got up and sat on the side of her bed. Jem entered and sat beside her. Tessa rested her head on his shoulder. Jem put his arm around her and rubbed circles on her temple.

"I can't sleep." Jem said. Tessa made an approving noise. "Yeah. Me too." she mumbled.

"I saw Will on the corridor a few moments ago." he said. "He asked me how to find the kitchen."

Tessa sighed as another sweet memory of him flashed in her mind. "He always sneaks in the kitchen if he can't sleep." she recalled. Jem chuckled. "You're not scolding him back then?"

"Why should i?"

"Well, i'm hearing stories about mundanes scolding their kids whenever they get caught getting jellybeans from the cupboard every night."

They both laughed at the story.

Tessa let out a sad sigh once she stopped from laughing. "This bed seems really big for me."

"I guess we are having the same feelings for our beds here huh?" Jem said in agreement. "Mind if i sleep beside you?"

Tessa shot him an incredolous look. "You're always free to sleep beside me."

Jem shrugged. "Just obeying the head's orders. But i am pretty sure Maryse won't mind."

Tessa didn't answered: instead, she lied on the other side of the bed and did a suggestive pose. Jem laughed at the sight, and sat just beside her. Tessa snuggled in his chest and closed her eyes. Jem pulled the sheets around them before he lied. He then rested his head on the top of her head and wrapped his arms around Tessa.