XXVIII

Tessa watched in fascination as the two men she loved most fenced against each other with training swords. With their swords clashing, Tessa felt like those wooden swords could cut either of them way too deep despite its material. Tessa is confident that neither of them would dare hurting each other, but their intensity is so heavy Tessa felt her confidence struggling.

They're fighting each other for minutes now. Both of them refused to train in gear, so their cotton tank tops are now sticking on their skin with sweat. To her amazement, Jem, who didn't recieved proper Shadowhunter training in a century can go against Will who trains for the rest of his life as a Shadowhunter with such skill and agility, sharpness and fluidity. Neither of them scored a hit up to this time. They are both grinning at each other madly as if they never did this for a long time - which they actually did. Tessa could actually hint laughter in between their pants and gasps. They slashed and jabbed at each other with such sharpness and pointness, but both of them dodged attacks with cat-like grace and reflexes. Will's faded silvery runes winked from different sides as he moved. This is the first time Tessa found a pretty violent act beautiful. The two boys are radiating intensity and joy at the same time as they clashed Tessa does not know if she should laugh or be terrified on the scene before her.

Their swords meet again, and this time, Will managed to channel enough force to make Jem's sword touch the floor. Jem resisted, but just when he finally found the timing to counter, Will snatched his sword out all of a sudden and rested the tip on Jem's chest, leaving Jem's hands on his sides. They both grinned as they catch their breaths, anticipating each other's next move.

After a few moments, Jem took a small step backwards and hit Will's sword on the blade, sending the tip on the floor. Will tried to use the force and slashed a wide line on Jem's direction but Jem side-stepped and slashed at Will. Will managed to jump back just in time before Jem could rip out the side of Will's top.

More minutes passed as the two continued their clash on non-stop. Tessa wondered if she could last just as long as this in an actual battle. She never tore her gaze at the two and their swords. She's just too fascinated, anticipation building up inside her.

Tessa mentally cursed them when Jem managed to disarm Will and point his sword at his chest at the same time. Will's wooden sword clattered down the marble floor as Will raised his hands in surrender, grinning.

"One heck of a fight, James." Wil said. Jem gave his open palm at Will, who dropped his hand on it. They are both chuckling as they approached Tessa.

Tessa took Jem's wooden sword, set it beside her, and handled the towels on her lap to the boys, who took it with a nod. Both of them stripped their sweaty tank tops off them and lied it on a pile beside their training swords. Tessa gulped. She does not think like this on any other people - but then, this two are no stranger. If heaven was real, she's on the seventh by now. They are both lean and strong, with the possible difference of Marks and faded runes that map Will's upper body, which Tessa found really beautiful in an elegant, grotesque manner. Jem on the other hand, proves that simplicity can be beautiful. He may not have any Marks anymore, but he's also beautiful in his own way. The two of them are like the creations of Michaelangelo; she cannot choose which one is more beautiful.

"Clary, am I dead now?" Isabelle said dreamily as they walk on inside the training room. Today, it is Isabelle who would be Clary's tutor. She is now training with the Shadowhunting gear. Since she just started, Clary felt strange and uncomfortable wearing this for training even if she already wore the gear when she went hunting. Clary can't help but give an incredolous look at Isabelle. "Why?"

"Because if I am, this is probably the seventh." She mused as her eyes sparkled brighter. Rolling her eyes, Clary followed the trail of Isabelle's gaze - and blushed furiously.