XXXI

The New York Institute household decided to let the night pass on Idris. It's really late, and none of them are in the mood for a portal travel after a night's worth of partying that cost their energy. The Lightwoods decided they pay a visit for their father and spend the night there. Clary, Magnus, Tessa, Jem and Will will be staying with Jace on the old Herondale manor last used by his father Stephen's family. For some reason, Clary does not want them to stay in Amatis' place. Either she's respecting the memory by not stepping on the territory or she does not want to risk letting unnecessary memories from that manor return, but Jace does not care. He's fine wherever Clary wants to stay - even if it means he'll have to sleep on old, dusty sheets that smelled of rot on a creaking antique bed that may fall under his weight any time. He can't blame the Clave for not renovating the manor. After all, they thought the Herondale bloodline is done. Jace would have to be careful not to let Jocelyn know that he let her daughter sleep in an awfully uncomfortable place, though. Jace thinks Jocelyn and even Luke would not appreciate it.

Jace made a mental note to pay this manor visits more often and do some renovation in his spare time. The chipping faded wallpaper needed to be removed and replaced with something far nicer. The carpets could really use a good dusting. Taking the sheets to the laundry would be nice. And perhaps a paint job.

The place had about six bedrooms including a nursery. Jace hadn't checked it yet if there's also a guest room or a maid's room. Should be enough to give everyone privacy for a night. His guests does not seem to mind staying here for the night - except perhaps, Will.

"This place stinks." He commented. "I can't believe you and your girlfriend would like to live in a dungeon." He even sneezed for emphasis. If Jace is not feeling really tired and sleepy right now he would have started another trash talk fight with Will. The alcohol he consumed is not enough to fill his energy.

Thankfully, it was Tessa who answered for him. "This 'dungeon' used to serve as a vacation house for our family back then, Will."

Will stared at her, astonished. "This is the Herondale manor?" Clearly, Tessa would have expected Will to ask her what is she talking about having a family with him. As soon as she answered for Jace, memories from this manor started flooding back to her she didn't bother responding to Will's question.  They celebrated many birthdays here. They spent a few summer and a few Christmas seasons here. If anyone here asked, she would be confident to point out which room is whose. 

Magnus chimed. "I could give this place a temporary make-over." He offered.

"Yes, please." Will muttered. "No need, Magnus." Tessa said. She would have to admit this place really needs a make-over even for a night, but if that make-over consists of stolen sheets, air fresheners, air-conditioning units and toiletries, from random houses here in Alicante, many Shadowhunter families would complain once they found out what Magnus just did and when they complain, she can't even imagine the idea.

"Alright." Magnus shrugged. "It would not stop me from summoning a few air fresheners and some new sheets for my room, though."

Jem and Tessa gave a look. Magnus stared at them. "What? I'm going to summon stuff from friendly acquaintances. They would not mind."

Tessa has her doubts who Magnus is reffering to, exactly. But she didn't respond.

Isabelle dropped by a few moments later to lend some spare clothes to everyone. She got some of Jace's old clothes and they fitted to him miraculously. Isabelle lended Clary a very tight, very skimpy nightgown whom she claims a shirt to her. Tessa is lucky enough to get a nice old pair of pajamas from Isabelle's closet. Alec had to lend some of his old clothes for Will and Jem. Magnus, on the other hand, 'summoned' a nice pair of velvet pajamas for him.