XIX

Sneaking in the kitchen in the middle of the night is very ... not Jem-like. Magnus dramatically wondered what happened to the world this days. Teenagers get laid at an early age. All the good guys, because wanting to make friends with pop jocks and brats, turned themselves into one. And now this? Magnus inwardly sighed. Many things could happen in a millenium, indeed.

"Hello, Magnus." Jem greeted. "It's been a long time, isn't it?"

"Indeed." Magnus agreed. "Many things change over a period of time isn't it?"

Jem didn't get Magnus' message that was directed on him. "Indeed. Look how mundanes got progress."

Magnus aimed for a topic change. "Do you love milk?"

Jem cocked his head to one side. "Why did you asked?"

Magnus gestured to the two tall glasses of cold milk in Jem's hands. "I can totally see you'd love to consume two glasses. So..."

Jem let out a nervous chuckle. "Ah, this. Tessa asked for a glass. And I decided to also have one so..." he shrugged.

Magnus nodded. "Tell Tessa goodnight for me."

"Will do."

The two men started walking to their destinations. Magnus is almost on the staircase when Jem called him.

"Thank you." Jem said.

It was Magnus' turn to cock his head on one side.

"For what?"

"For taking care of Tessa on her days."

Oh."You're welcome, James." Magnus turns to his back, but shifts instantly to Jem's direction. "Oh. And Jem?"

"Yes?"

"Would you mind taking Will and Tessa on the movies? They need it."

Jem considered. Yes. They need some time together.

"You should go with them." Magnus insisted. "You'll be the bridge where they would walk to reconcile."

Now that Magnus said it, it sound horrible even on his ears. It's as if he's saying that Jem is nothing but a tool for Tessa. A tool she's using to move on. He's about to say a quick apology when Jem interjected.

"Sure. I'd love to take them to the movies, Magnus." Jem's enthusiasm made Magnus think either Jem didn't get what he unintentionally meant awhile ago, or Jem himself wants to be a tool for Tessa's hapiness. Tessa Gray is such a lucky woman. Not only she's found two men she loved in her life, but this two men really, really loves her. Finding this kind of love, even back in the old days, is already next to impossible.

"That's great." Magnus said. "I think I should go now. It's late."

Jem nodded at him. "Goodnight, Magnus."

Magnus smiled. The majority of the shadowhunters whom he met does not even care even if he snuck away from their Institutes at night. Precious few wished him goodnight: Jem, Will, and Alec. Yes. Precious few indeed.

"Same with you, James." Magnus said.

Both of them turned on their backs, but this time, both of them are really headed now for their destinations; Tessa's room for Jem, and Brooklyn for him.