XXIV

Tessa and Jem freaked out when they learned that Will is not on any place here in the Institute - the kitchen, the training room, the Sanctuary.

Iratzes work quite efficiently, depending on the injury. Will's cut on his arm could heal for barely an hour with a single iratze. Iratzes are also known to restore energy. Will probably didn't catch sleep when he wanted it, so he probably wandered somewhere. But where exactly? Will already knew his way here, so the theory of him aimlessly wandering random corridors here in the Institute were disposed instantly.

Fortunately, Jace told them a story about last night here while having their breakfast. Tessa had a few sips of tea as Jem insisted. He made the wrong move of mentioning that he snucked last night in the kitchen for a glass of milk. Twice. The confession made everyone gag at their cereal, especially Clary who gave him her deluxe Seriously-stare and Isabelle who pounded relentlessly on the table with his palm while trying to chew her food desperately.

"Seriously, Jace?" Isabelle snickered. "You can always apply Sleep Now runes, you know."

"If mom was here, she would have made you clean the whole Institute with a rag and a bucket of water." Clary thoughtfully added. Isabelle pictured Jocelyn with a whip on her hand, standing dominantly on Jace who wipes the floor so much Jocelyn could just make him kiss the floor anytime she wants.

Add a maid outfit and voīla - Isabelle would pay large amounts of money to see that.

Isabelle found the thought so amusing she giggled and laughed again like a mad woman. She was only cut when something caught in her chest and began coughing loudly. Alec fetched a glass of water and handled it to Isabelle  who took it thankfully.

It was Jace' turn to snicker. "Do not laugh too hard while eating, Iz. People would find your obituary a very lame joke."

Isabelle Lightwood, age 17, died of choking because she laughed really hard while eating her cereal even when there is no one joking. Condolences for the Lightwood Family.

Yup. Very lame indeed.

"Anyway..." Jace interrupted Isabelle who looks like she would throw the world's most entertaining one-liner at Jace. "Will is sneaking on the kitchen somewhere at twilight for a glass of milk when he saw me playing the piano."

Apparently, it was only Clary who was intrigued because this was the first time she heard Jace call Mr. Herondale by his first name. The others, well, she does not have to read the minds of everyone in here, especially Tessa.

Who knew the Herondales are also known to be fridge ninjas?

Tessa did her best not to laugh the way Isabelle did. She stared at Jem - who also looks like he is also doing his best to refrain himself from laughing.

Tessa had quite a number of memories of the similar incident: there are nights where she would touch the other side of the bed, only to wake up because Will was not there, and finds him on the cupboard, a glass of milk halfway to his mouth. There are also nights where she would look at Will's face, only to find his mouth caked with whipped cream.

"So..." Alec Lightwood said. "How does that story...oh." He said awkwardly when he just got what kind of logic Jace is trying to imply.

Tessa got it also. She muttered an excuse, hastily stood up off her chair and ran upstairs, to the corridors to the music room before even Jem could ask where she is going.

When she seemed far enough, Tessa looked at her back, and sighed in relief. Not even Jem followed her. But the thought made her frown. Why?

"I was actually half-expecting you to run and follow Tessa." Jace mused thoughtfully at Jem, who shrugged innocently, as if the thought of his wife and his parabatai who used to love each other was comforting.