XII

Tessa helped Clary prepare the breakfast.

She's flipping a pancake to the other side when Clary spoke, "I just thought: Jace sounds like his grandfather."

Tessa smiled. Clary does not need to know Will by heart to tell their similarities.

"That's because Will is his grandfather." Tessa agreed.

"I am wondering how would it be if we lock Jace and Will in a room with ducks for a wallpaper."

Tessa pictured it and shuddered. "Good lord. If that happens, we'd better prepare ourselves for some serious renovation."

They both laughed their hearts out as they got the same picture in their minds: Will and Jace shrieking at the wallpaper, then they'd rip it down to shreds - including the walls.

"If you are looking for some offensive humor, just grab a Herondale and you're ready to go." Tessa continued.

Clary then remembered last April Fool's Day when Jace stuffed Isabelle's pillowcases with plastic spiders and put realistic dead rats and snakes under her bed. The poor girl woke the whole Institute with her laughing and crying at the same time. And before that, Jace tricked Alec by making him eat a raw egg coated with real chocolate.

"Yeah. They're the best at it. Talk about stuffing spiders at a woman's pillowcase." Clary agreed.

They are shaking with laughter in that thought. Tessa stared back at the pancake - and yelped. She could easily tell that the underside is as dark as an overcooked meat. Tessa took the pancake with her flipper and stacked it up with the other pancakes. She then poured the remains of the pancake batter left in her cup and began brewing Jem's tea.

They then heard Alec and Jace in the dining room calling each other names. There are no signs of Isabelle, Jem or Will yet. Tessa looked at Clary.

"Those two always smells breakfast like hounds hunting a deer." Clary said.

"Let's take the breakfast out, shall we?"

Clary nodded.

Jem is surprised when he saw Will standing on his door. His surpriseness must have been obvious on his face, because Will made a face at him. "What? We can't walk together to the dining room like we used to?"

Jem hesitated for no good reason before replying. "Just let me change my clothes."

There is a part of Jem that wants Will to stay in this time. It just felt right, just like the old times. Where either of them would stop by each other's door and go to breakfast together. He missed their bickerings. And he also missed the way they picked at Tessa back then. Seeing Jace and his parabatai Alec reminded him awfully of him and Will back in their days.

"Tessa told me that you two are going on a date today on the public library." Jem started.

Will snorted angrily. "It's not a date. Why do people this days define a date as if they are defining a drinking game? Is that even how Tessa said it?"

"Oh yes it is." Jem insisted. Will huffed and rolled his eyes. "A boy and a girl going out - though i must say a public library is not the most romantic place to date a girl. Anyway, it's a date because you asked Tessa out."

"Magnus suggested the place."

"What's the point then? Jem argued. "You still asked her out."

Will made a face at him. "You're not even mad at me?"

Jem let out a soft laugh. "Why would i?"

"Do you really need to ask why?"

Jem chuckled. "I maybe married to Tessa in this time. But you are her first husband. I am pretty sure you didn't even plan a divorce during your days, did you?"