background music

1426 words
georgebur

———

musical tunes were heard underneath the cold rain. normally the tunes would be lovely to hear from the musician but it was different when it was of an album he hadn't played the same way in years and even more different when he was drunk. his heart wasn't broken but he drank like it was and frankly he grew to believe it was already crushed by the fate of his crush. if george didn't stomp on his heart by simply rejecting wilbur's feelings then the wine the brunet drank would crush his heart with pitiful chugs.

when george decided to come to brighton all that long ago wilbur was ecstatic. he didn't know the shorter male all that well but he was an extroverted person by heart and enjoyed talking to people. george seemed fun from the view conversations he had with him and seemed genuinely nice based off of streams he found himself watching. honestly he didn't believe he'd fall in love with george the day he came to brighton but wilbur tripped and fell into the stupid romance pit he hated falling in.

when his heart would break he would get drunk. he did it after his girlfriend of two years broke up with him and he'll do it again for the boy who hadn't a clue he had fallen for him. it wasn't george's fault that wilbur was on the roof of their shared home, drunk and cold. he didn't even notice being cold actually. he didn't think george would notice that he wasn't inside the house for a good while. the shorter brunet was streaming at the moment, wilbur could hear him talking with chat and saying "happy birthday" to strangers repeatedly. nobody noticed wilbur was out being moody because his fanbase would never guess he was and george's chat would be clueless to the fact george decided to live with wilbur. to all chat knew the musical tunes of a guitar was just background music george had decided to play today, only a few on twitter had taken notice it was a familiar song wilbur made, losing face. the few tweets that noticed this fact started to spread like wildfire and soon his chat was full of people asking about the music their streamer was playing.

wilbur didn't know chat noticed his music, he wasn't watching the stream for chat and he wasn't looking at twitter. he was simply singing sadly, taking small pauses to drink wine and humming whenever he wanted to hear george's voice better. it should be apparent that the music playing in the background wasn't the original album recording. twitter was full of people who had listened to wilbur's album several times on loop for hours, knowing the songs by heart and every little detail about it. the music they heard in the background wasn't the recording on spotify, it was raw, emotional and was all coming from a distant place that was close enough to be picked up by george's mic.

yet george was clueless to what chat was screaming out, he awkwardly chuckled and continued doing what he was doing. the stream was normal-ish only sometimes george would get a dono asking about wilbur's relationship with george. the brunet would giggle embarrassed and say "what relationship? chat you're just making stuff up now" god how those words would grip wilbur's weak wine filled heart and rip it apart even more than it already was. he wanted to jump into george's window to give him  and chat a surprise musical session but he wasn't in the right head space to do so. the camera would see wilbur with puffy red eyes, pink face and tears streaming down his cheeks. so for now he'd stick with making sweet tunes with his guitar, strumming the strings like they weren't feeling numb by the cold and the hours he spent strumming the same cords. he'd act like he wasn't choking out lyrics to songs that pained him to sing.

after he finished playing the album he started to play crywank. god he was just begging to break down into a sad lonely drunk wasn't he? there was a certain song that included a yell, a musical yell that wilbur once told his chat he didn't know how to do. the scream started as a quiet hum and then it came out in a musical painful way. by that point george realised that he was a fool for not checking on wilbur sooner.

"uh- hold on chat" he said awkwardly, muting himself on his stream before taking off his headphones and walking over to the window. it was open and the cold air breezed his bare skin.

"wil?" the voice caught wilbur off guard, he panicked and his fingers stopped with a slight sting to the tips of his fingers. the wine bottle almost dropped and spilled but almost instantly he grabbed it. he leaned over to the edge of the roof and saw george sticking his head out of the window. wilbur could simply not respond, leave his flatmate confused and allow him to continue his stream but he'd feel guilty if he ignored george. "..yeah?"

both brunets went silent, the light wind and shuffling being the only noises they could hear. then with a quiet huff george was on the rooftop sitting across from his flatmate. both continued to say silent, it was like they had words to say but couldn't force them to come out for the other to hear them. wilbur wanted to tell george to leave, go back to his chat but he craved to have the other brunet here, he loved spending time with his crush even when his mood was sour and crushed. george wanted to hug wilbur but he didn't know if the boy was in the state to gain physical attention without flinching and breaking down. he also knew his chat was waiting for him but wilbur was so much more important than strangers so he stayed longer than expected.

they didn't say anything to each other while they were on the rooftop. they stared at the stars and moon while a cold yet comforting breeze blew into exposed skin. george placed his hand on wilbur's back when he started to cry, at first he seemed uncomfortable with the physical affection but soon the warmth of george's hand was something he wanted to drown in. eventually without saying anything wilbur asked george to hold him, maybe he asked with his eyes by simply staring at george with eyes that begged for physical affection or maybe george just read his mind. he didn't care much about how george figured out wilbur wanted or well craved to be held since being held in silence with a few sniffles being the loudest noise out of the brunet was something he enjoyed.

wilbur believed he'd never confess, that he'd never be george's boyfriend but maybe this was enough for him to not cry at night.

time passed and george muttered a "shit" when he realised he forgot about his stream completely. wilbur laughed as george hurried back to his computer with hair that had been ruffled by wilbur. the short brunet started apologising to his chat about leaving for what seemed like a whole hour, he talked loud enough that wilbur could hear from outside. so the tall curly haired lad decided to give the stream some content.

for the rest of stream wilbur was sitting on george's bed playing music softly or simply strumming the guitar when george wanted to have a conversation with him. when chat asked what wilbur was doing in george's room or just why he was with george in person he simply answered with,

"gogy's my boyfriend chat!" his tone joking with a large grin spread across his face.

surprisingly george replied with a laugh and "yeah chat he's my boyfriend" his tone was also joking but there was a honest glance given to wilbur.

both boys had their faces pink as they started to mutually flirt perhaps not as joking as the last time they did.

once the stream ended and wilbur had calmed himself to the point he could ask a question he asked george

"did you mean it?"

"mean what?"

"the- you know- boyfriend thing"

"oh"

a flushed and hopeful wilbur stared at george, prepared for having another night of drunk singing on the rooftop out of heartbreak

"i meant it"

or maybe he'd have another night of cuddling with a cute boy on the rooftop.