Part 6 The Call

"A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because her trust is not on the branch but on her own wings." ~Unknown~

A/N: This is one of my favorite quotes. 😊 Pic. Cr. to the owners.

"Are you ready, princess?" Gulf looked at his wristwatch while drinking his tea. He usually will drink tea at the hospital, but he spent the night talking to Malee on the phone last night and now he is paying the price.

It was time for him and Laura to get ready for the day.

"Gulf, I am ready. I just need my Band-Aid kit, don't know where I put it." Laura was making a mess, taking everything out of her backpack.

"Here, found it under the sofa last night while vacuuming. Are you all right?"

Laura grabbed the Band-Aid kit from Gulf's hands. Held it on her chest as if her life depends on it. Of course, her mother used to "fix" everything with a Band-Aid.

"I don't know; lately, I am not feeling okay. I get distracted and lose everything." Laura's puppy eyes were looking at Gulf.

This sentence sent Gulf into a panic mode.

"What you mean, you are not feeling well? You sick, for how long, why did you not tell me about it?" Gulf was holding Laura so tight that it hurt her.

"Ouch Gulf, that hurt!" Gulf let go of her.

"Sorry, princess, I am just worried about you, did not mean to hurt you."

"I am not sick. I am very distracted lately with all the work I have to do, plus something that Malee told me in secret and does not want people to know." Laura lowers her head as she said this.

"What secret?" Gulf indicated for Laura to sit on the sofa.

"Laura, you know how I feel about keeping secrets. I spoke with her last night, and she did not mention anything about it."

"I know Gulf, but I promised to Mal that I will not say anything. The thing is that since she told me I am not well. I want to tell you, but if I do, I will be breaking my promise to my only good friend." Laura's breathing rhythm was labored now.

Gulf noticed how Laura was breathing and was trying to calm her down.

Holding her again, this time being careful not to hurt her again.

"Princess, I know she is your best friend, but if that secret will hurt others or Mal herself, it is better to tell someone, especially an adult."

[Laura inhale sharply]

"I know, you always telling me this; but how do I tell you without breaking the promise?"

"Maybe that's why Malee called me last night? Look, if you are feeling uneasy and is affecting your life. I am sure is not good to keep that secret. Deep down your conscious is telling you that is not right."

Laura did not like the answer and lowered her head. Playing with her fingers as she listens to Gulf.

Gulf looks at her hands, and he knows that she is nervous. Trying to calm her down, he decided he will leave it up to her, as a sign of trust.

"Laura, my sweet darling, listen. If you feel conflicted about telling Mal's secret to anyone, it means you are a good friend and made a promise. You also feel conflicted because you know that the secret which I assume based on your behavior is bad." Gulf lower and tilted his head to look at Laura better, sitting next to him on the sofa.

Laura kept playing with her fingers.

Gulf look again at the time.

"Look, for now, let's just get ready to go to school and work. During our drive to school, think about what is more important, to keep the secret or tell someone, she may need help."