Part 16 Meant to be

"Save one life, you are a hero. Save a hundred lives, you are a nurse." ~Unknown~

"NURSE, just another word to describe a person strong enough to tolerate everything and soft enough to understand everyone. ~Nurselabs~

A/N: The first part of this chapter is dedicated to all those hardworking first respondents who, despite being tired, missing their families, and putting their lives in danger every day, are willing to help. Not because it is their job, but because they chose to do it. Thank you to all those nurses who have to endure so much. Most of the time are not even recognize for their hard work.

Thunder rumbling in the distance, rain pattering, creating a rhythmic sound on the metal chairs outside. Mrs. Sitwat-Suzuki sat up on the edge of the bed, trying to familiarize herself. It was her own bedroom, but it feels different now.

She does not know how long she has been sleeping. She looked at the flashing light on the nightstand and noticed that it is five o'clock in the morning. She saw Mr. Grumpy is still next to her and grabs him. Kissing it, inhaling his scent, which reminded her of Malee's. "My sweet child, how much I miss you." She hugs him even more. She was tired, but could not keep sleeping, now, she won't be able to sleep again even when it is this early.

She opens the bedroom door and decided to go downstairs to make herself a cup of coffee. She passed by Malee's bedroom and noticed the door was semi-open. She opens it a little wider, making a cricking sound. Mrs. Sitwat-Suzuki saw Gulf and Laura sleeping in an embrace.

If they were other people invading her little girl's bedroom like this, she would have been furious. The thing is that those two sleeping peacefully are people she holds dear to her heart. A smile appears on her face watching those two siblings sleeping in an embrace. "You will never be able to sleep in there again." She noticed Gulf moving and decided to close the door.

Thunders age louder now, it is still early and dark, mostly because of the rain, but the thunder sound creeps into the house every five minutes. "A big storm is approaching." She opens the thin, white curtains from one of the windows in the living room and sees how the street is now all wet.

The few cars driving by, splashing water all over the sidewalk. People holding their umbrellas, voiding the splashes of the cars and the rain. "I guess life moves on for them." She placed Mr. Grumpy on the sofa and headed to the kitchen.

Sitting down, sipping the coffee, looking at the picture book Laura was showing her before. A drip of tears falls down. One of them falls on a picture of Laura and Malee holding their princess dresses and Gulf behind them as the prince. She laughs. "You were so strong; you gave me the courage to keep going on. You never lost hope and find something new and fun every day. I miss you; I miss you so much." She felt a hand touching her and noticed Gulf standing next to her.

"Oh, Gulf, good morning. I thought you were sleeping. Sorry if I woke you up. Care for some coffee, tea?" Cleaning her teas, she got up.

Gulf touched her gently. Mrs. Sitwat-Suzuki sat down again. "No, I will get it myself, you relax. I was sleeping, but the thunder woke me up. Well, I was kind of awake when I noticed you standing by the door." Gulf moves to the counter to pour himself a cup of coffee.

"I am looking at the picture book that Laura made for me. She is such a sweet girl, I will miss her." Gulf dropped the coffee, splatting coffee all over the counter.

Turning around to see Mrs. Sitwat-Suzuki caressing the picture book with a melancholic smile on her face.

Gulf sat next to her. "What you mean you will miss Laura, you can still see her, come and visit us, or come to you."