Chapter 18

Ralph was looking at me, confused as to why I was in his chair. My first instinct is to talk before he even says anything. So I do. After a few seconds, I brought up something that even I had forgotten I'd done a few years ago until right this second.
"Where's the candy?" I ask him.
"What candy?" he asks me.
I smack my teeth. "C'mon, Ralph, you always used to hold out on me. I would ask if you had any; you would say no. So then I finally came and found your secret stash drawer. I stole a few pieces of your candy every time you left me alone in here. I would suggest you get cameras, since you're just now catching me in the act. Imagine who else has been all in your stuff, when I've been gone all this time. Anyway, I know you didn't switch drawers, on me!" I exclaim.
He laughed.
That was a good sign.
"You must've been away for too long. The candy's always been on the other side."
So then I exhale in faux irritation, but very fucking real relief. I lean over to the other side of the desk and open that drawer. I laughed maniacally as I grab a handful of candy, telling Ralph it was to compensate for all the years I'd been gone. Then we talked some more about the order, mainly how I would be able to order the materials and have them delivered in a timely manner. When I left, I put my sunglasses back on and waved at Kimmi.

Now that I had Chris's address, I needed to find directions on how to get there. I didn't think it was all that smart to look for that stuff on my own phone. I could ask Jade, but I didn't really think she was all the way set on getting Chris is any type of trouble, even though she suspected she was being cheated on. So, I decided that I would head to the library as planned. A few minutes later, that's where I ended up. I waved to the librarian as I entered the library and moved briskly. I knew the other patrons were less likely to pay attention to their surroundings, but the cameras catch pretty much everything. Still, though, I was in incognito mode. I was still wearing my sunglasses, but it wasn't too weird since it was a sunny day and I wasn't even the only person wearing them. I walked to the back of the computer lab and log on. Thankfully there was no personal login information required— everyone used the same login credentials. I type in 'Christyn Perry' in the google search bar. A Facebook page pops up with Chris and Jade staring into the camera, cuddled up with each other. I squinted. How the hell could Chris manage to be dealing with another woman, when it is clear as day that she in a relationship. There's not too many people cuddled up with someone that isn't their significant other on Facebook. I clicked on the profile and scrolled to see what I could find. There were nothing but memes being shared on it. After looking through a few of her photos, I figured I wouldn't find too much of anything on this profile. It made sense— all her family was probably on there. Usually people tone down the way they speak when their family is on their profiles. So I checked the info side to see what information she had out there. Her bio was the typical bio— nothing incriminating. When I scrolled down, though, I could see that she had another social media profile linked— Twitter. When I saw what was on her Twitter, I hurry up and make a dummy email. I needed to send these images to the authorities. I put Marco Grant's name in the recipient box and attached a few images to it. These images may be considered as enough evidence to go after Chris, in terms of what happened to Vicky. I've found some evidence that proved Chris could have killed Vicky. One picture was a selfie that Chris had taken in her car, with the butt of the fun sticking out from the seat she was sitting in front of. She probably didn't even notice it was visible. It blended in very well with the color of the seats. Her seats were a cream color— the same color of the butt of her likely customized pistol. The news had just reported that Vicky was shot, so that could be the weapon that was used. Even then, Chris was probably gonna have to hear from her probation officer, seeing as how it's illegal for a felon to be in possession of a firearm. I had remembered that Jade said Chris had a criminal record. Now it made sense as to why she was working at the warehouse. It really could have been a part of her probation requirements, like I originally thought. Next, I screenshotted some of the tweets that seemingly referenced Vicky's murder— one saying 'gotcha', and the other saying 'I keep having to remind these niggas, I'm not the one to play with'. Then after a few minutes of debating, decide to have the directions to Chris' house printed out, as well as a few images of her house on Google Earth. I would have to take a little time to go and strategize about what I would do once I got there. After all, I intended to see how the police would respond to what they got in their inbox. I knew I could count on Jade to clue me in, should anything happen to Chris. After I finish gathering all my information, I fold it in half and make my exit.

I beat Priest home, apparently. The house was empty when I stepped foot back into it. So, I just sat on the couch I'd slept on the night before, and tried to work out a non-fatal ending to the solution, regarding Kady. I mean, exactly what would I do if Kady did try to harm Wynn when Priest and I were present? Fight her? Warn her to back off before we fight her? Call the cops on her crazy ass? I sigh heavily. I didn't even know if I could do that. I didn't even believe in prisons, forreal. They treat you like shit and make money off of your suffering. I chuckled to myself at how ironic it was. I made money off of people suffering, too. Not anymore, I guess, but I had a long time to go before I could judge somebody else for how they made their money. Still, though, sending Kady there for trying to kill my friend didn't seem too crazy of an idea. Chris actually killed my soon to be friend. Both of them being in prison would solve my biggest problems. They both fucking deserve it. But again, I couldn't help but feel like the worlds biggest hypocrite.

The bad thing is, the alternative to sending them to prison may be to go back on my promise, and that's not something I wanted to do at all. Priest and all her preaching had finally got to me. It's kind of funny that as soon as she decided to put that Bible of hers down for good, I finally started coming around to what she was saying. It had happened earlier than I'd like to admit to Priest, but... I really did want to be better. I just wasn't all the way sure of how to do so. Like... I knew that being a hitman wasn't a good thing. The only thing that felt good about being a hitman was the fact that I knew what the hell I was doing and got paid well. But there were way more negative factors that affected me. I get paranoid very easily, especially when it comes to cops. Any time I hear a siren, I swear I think it's for me. I keep thinking these cops found some kind of link to between me and all the bodies. Then I would have dreams of past missions, but instead of getting away with it, I got caught. And I'd wake up covered in sweat. I'd be so bothered by the dream that I couldn't go back to sleep. I owed it to myself to stay on the straight and narrow. Besides, it was time for me to stop stressing my mama out. Immediately after thinking of Priest's relationship with her dad, I called my mom, real quick. I think I needed to speak to her to help clear my mind. I hear the line trill a few times, before my mom picked up.
"Hi, mom."