Chapter 22

"Help me, Zee! Hel- nah, I'm just playin'. Whatchu doin'?" Wynn asks. It takes me a few seconds to register what just happened. My heart had been racing. I had been struggling with trying to grab my seatbelt, unable to focus. "Hey, Wynn... do me a favor."
"What?"
"Write your last will and testament, 'cause I'm gon' kill your motherfuckin' ass for playing with me like that!" I scold. She laughs heartily. "Relax. I knew you were waiting on me to call for help any day now. You wanted it to happen so you could boast about how right you were. So, I went ahead and called you with the histrionics."
"That's fucked up." I say, finally getting my seatbelt on. "C'mon, you know how bad I worry about you. It's nothing to joke about." I lament.
She sighs. "You mad, forreal? I ain't mean to scare you like that."
"Well, you did... so."
She smacks her teeth.
"You never answered my question." she points out.
"What was your question, Winifred?" I ask as sarcastically as I could, making zero effort to mask how irritated I was with her.
She groaned.
"I hate it when you call me that. You wouldn't like it if I called you Zuri."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why wouldn't I? It's my name."
She smacks her teeth again. "I am still dumbfounded the fact my mom looked at my beautiful angelic face, and decided Fred should be a part of my name.
"It makes sense, though. She loved Winnie the Pooh, yo daddy, and the idea of having a Fred Jr. She ain't let your XX chromosomes stop no show."
"I can't stand niggas." she huffs, causing me to laugh hard. "Why?"
"'Cause we seem to have an affinity to name our daughters after they daddy."
"Whatchu mean?"
"We love a Theodora or a Rodneisha. You hear a name and already know who their dad is. You know my cousin's name is Ajoseph."
I cackle. "No it's not!"
"I swear to God."
I laugh, but then clear my throat. "Hope you don't think I forgot that bullshit you just pulled."
I swear I could hear her eyes rolling. "Don't roll your eyes at me. I'm the only one that should be mad right now."
"Bih— how did you know I rolled my eyes? You got a camera set up in here?"
I smirk. "I don't know, do I?" I ask her. She smacks her teeth, making me laugh again.
I talked with her the whole way home.

The next morning, I was in the midst of fulfilling orders. I woke up to 12 orders, and this was only a result of two of the promo posts, which made me excited. I was really doing this shit! The fourth order in, I scrolled too far past the name, but my eyes landed on the address: 529 Porter Court. I look at it in disbelief as I scroll down and look at how large the order was— they wanted one of everything. I snicker to myself. This bitch thinks she's slick. The address belonged to none other than Verena Price. I was trying to stay cool, calm, and collected when I was fulfilling her order but I had to give myself a break. I was being extra, extra careful with how I decorated her box. I guess it was the least I could do after I'd iced her out for so long. I didn't even mean to go this long without talking to her, but I'd gotten busy. I had been posting on social media, though, so I knew she knew I was alive. To give myself a rest from putting stuff into the box, I grab a thank you card and a pen and think about what to write. There was a template that I stuck with to help me get through the letters quicker, but I couldn't decide if I wanted to use it for somebody that I know so personally. But I couldn't think of shit to write. Maybe it was a good idea to go ahead and use the template. But then I had this urge to call her up and tell her all that I was feeling towards her. Truth be told, I was still pissed. But I missed her, after all. So I wanted to give her an opportunity to fix it. But I wasn't so sure that I wanted to be the one to open up the lines of communication. She fucked up, so she should do it. So, fuck it, I'd just give her a regular degular thank you note. She'd know that I was ready to talk to her when she saw what I put into her box.

After a good while of doubting whether I should just drop her box off or mail it, I decided to go ahead and take it to her. Well, the intention was to drop it off on her porch, and leave without her even knowing I was there. So, when I came up to the porch, I felt my stomach knot up when I hear the front door being unlocked. The front door, then the screen door open. P peaks her head out, genuinely surprised to see me, it seemed like.
"Zee?" she asks.
I remain frozen, but I had to say something.
"...Hey." I say, in an unsure tone.
"Wow." she says. "Your delivery time is impeccable. I'll make sure to include that in my review."
I chuckle. "Thank you. Here. I was just gonna leave it on your porch and go back into hiding."
I hand her the box and turn to go to my car. "No. Stay. Let's celebrate."
I sigh. "P, I don't think that is such a good idea."
She smacks her teeth. "C'mon. It's been forever since I've seen you. You made the trip out here, so obviously you missed me, too."
I weigh my options.
"Look... at least stay for the unboxing. I won't be on no funny stuff, okay? Please?"
She gives me the puppy dog face, eventually smiling wide when she sees me do the thing I always do before I give in— roll my eyes. I had a real attitude with myself as I made way to Priest's living room. I really did miss her, and I loved the idea of spending time together... just not alone. I didn't trust her, nor myself.

I sigh in relief when she sits on the couch, placing the box between us. "So... how you been?" she asks.
"Busy. Clearly." I say, gesturing to the box.
"Really? You were busy with this stuff for two straight weeks? No breaks?" she asks.
"Nope."
"But you had enough time to post on Instagram?" she says, with a brow raised.
"I only posted so everybody would know I was okay. That's all. Why are you questioning me?"
"Why are you getting all worked up? I just wanted clarification."
"Okay, you got it. Open the box." I say.
"You know what I did the whole time?"
I sighed deeply and rolled my eyes. I found that I get really irritated when she started to get all serious with me about whatever it is we have. She never had a damn answer for me when I needed one. So I feel like what she's trying to do now is feed me another excuse. I didn't wanna hear it, anymore. At first I was open to her giving me answers, but it just felt like she was gonna feed me a complete lie. All of a sudden, I wasn't in the mood to even be around her, anymore. I just wanted to go home.

"If you're gonna go into another sob story about how you prayed so hard for God to show you the way back to me, I don't wanna hear it." I say.
She smacks her teeth. "As long as you've known me I ain't ever allowed you to play with me about stuff like that. I don't appreciate you insinuating I'm using God as an excuse to guilt you into talking to me. Don't do me like that."
"Maybe that was a bit too far." I admit, looking at her. She looked pretty serious. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm not tryna argue with you."
She sighs. "I don't wanna argue either. You know what? Let's... let's just look into the box, shall we?"
I smile weakly as she looks away from me, at the box. I felt kind of bad. And now I was kind of curious about what it is that she was gonna say. I wasn't going to let her know, of course. She focuses her gaze on the box. "This box is nice. The color scheme really works well together."
"I'm glad you like it." I say. She then flips the box open, and stared at it.
"Wow." she finally said, after a minute.
I couldn't help but smile. "Unbox it, already." I tell her. "I don't wanna ruin your hard work." she says.
"If it means that much to you, take a damn picture." I suggest, jokingly.
So, she pulls out her phone and takes a picture.
"I wasn't being serious."
"Nah, I really did have to take a picture, though. I didn't think you'd actually go through with this idea and here you are. I'm proud of you." she says.
"Thank you." I say, blushing.
Then was when she eyes the envelope, for a seemingly long time. I reach over and put it to the side. "How 'bout you start with this shirt, right here?" I say, touching it. It was a burgundy tee with the company's logo on it. She unfolds it and sees the design on it and smiles. "This is really dope."
Then she raises a brow when she realizes that there is also a mint colored shirt with the same design on it. "I see you threw in a lil' extra something."
"Just a lil' extra something." I say.
By the time she got to the last item, she was really excited.
"You really did not have to give me one of everything in every color."
"If all you ordered was a hat, I still would have given you everything. It's a token of my appreciation. I really didn't expect you to even buy anything."
"Why would you even think that? I don't care if we hadn't spoken a year. I would've supported."
"Well, I appreciate it."
"I know this clothing line is gonna end up everywhere, especially if the packaging game is this strong."
"Stop." I said, blushing again.
She reaches for the envelope.
"C'mon, let's put all this back and go for a round of Smash Brothers." I say.
"Alright." she says, putting it back down and together we put the box together as neatly as we could. Now was time for some fun.

⭐️ Vote/Comment ⭐️