Chapter 14

"...yeah, and that's why I texted you. I didn't want you to be surprised when an officer came by the house." I had just finished telling P the story of how the cop came to my door earlier. I'd been here for awhile, and felt more at ease. I still had a few questions, but I would have to try and process all she said to me today, on my own. After clearing some things up, I guess she felt more comfortable with me.  Now we were sitting inches from each other on the same couch. "I gotta tell you. I'm really glad that you're trying to do the right thing by Vicky, but I'm a little worried the police might link you to something else. I mean, c'mon, how dumb do you think these guys are?" Priest asks.

I scoff. "I don't think they're dumb, hence why I have to go through a million steps to make sure nothing is traced back to me. Thinking these police are dumb is what gets people caught. As far as Vicky goes, I was gonna come up in the investigation, anyway. She had my real number 'cause she was becoming my friend. The timing of all this is horrendous, but how was I supposed to know she would wind up dead?" I asked. Priest stares at me. I only shrug.
"Why were you even over that girl's house?" she questions.
"We were supposed to watch anime." I replied.
"I just thought about something." she says. "Why didn't you just let somebody else find the body? I know you said you would be on the radar, but..."
"They would have known I was supposed to be over there. We texted."
She furrowed her brow. "So? You should've just said you never made it. You've never had an issue with lying to the cops before." she points out.
"Listen to me, P. There was no way out of that. Lying to them about my whereabouts when they can ping my phone is a surefire way to get myself put away. The name of the game is to keep myself out of prison."
She chuckles. "Oh, okay. I see you know what you're doing. I'd just hate to hear that you got locked up. I don't know if I could take that."
"You don't have to worry about that. Ever." I say, smiling confidently.  But then I thought for a second. "Ask God if I'ma get in trouble for this."
She cackles. "All you gotta do is ask him yourself."
"That's yo homeboy. He likes you more."
"Why you wanna ask him something like that? You scared? I thought you knew what you were doing." she says, teasing me.
"I'd like a sneak peak of what is to come, so I can make the appropriate moves to hopefully change the course of events. That's all." I say.

"Look, when I say my nightly prayer, I'll check on that for you. And I'll even cut the middleman out— I'll just have Him relay the answer to you. Although I'd have to say, you wouldn't know the answer if it hit you in the face."
I rolled my eyes. "How you figure that?" I question.
"'Cause, His answers are never really obvious. You gotta do some work to find the answer."
"I know you didn't just tell me that God finna send me on a scavenger hunt. That nigga do too much."

Priest cracks up. "You can't call God a 'nigga', Zee. And when you really think about it, He's more like a ball of energy. Speaking of, who decides He was a man? God is energy. Who puts a gender on energy? How was it decided upon, that God was a man?"

"Patriarchy." I respond quickly. "Patriarchy is a son of a bitch."

Just then, I get a phone call. Jade is on the other line. I answered the phone with the quickness.

"Hello?"

Jade sounds a little panicked. "Chris made bail."

"How? I thought they took her in on those drug charges, 'cause of the lack of evidence on the Vicky thing."

"Yes, but she made bail, Zee. Who knows how long it'll take for her to actually go to trial?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Hold on, if you're calling me, shocked.... then... who bailed her out?"

Her voice gets shaky. "I think it might've been another girl."