Chapter 15

We had been watching Wynn intently for the past five minutes. She insisted we stay at Tina & Louise's, because she did not want to ruin Britt's belated birthday party. The sweetest part about it was, Britt didn't even care if we left or not. She only cared if her big sis was okay. Wynn has a special bond with both Joey and Britt, but especially Britt. Nobody could get her to be more selfless a person than Wynn, herself. Still, though, she made Britt return to the games, assuring her she'd play with her again later. So now Britt and Joey are on the other side of the arcade, occasionally staring back at Priest, Wynn, and I. Priest rubs her back. "Can you remember anything about this girl?" she asks.

Wynn sighs in exasperation. "No, no. I don't know who she was. I don't even know if she was a she. Whoever it was made sure I couldn't see 'em. And I wasn't even concerned with trying to get a look when I was trying to gain my breath back."

"Who could it be? Who would just run into the bathroom and choke you? What kind of weirdo shit is that?" I asked, feeling my face get hot again. "You got people that don't like you?"

She rolls her eyes at that question. "Nobody other than that damn girl of yours. And maybe some other girls from college.  I ain't seen them bitches since I graduated." Wynn says, finally sitting straight up.

"You don't think Kady had something to do with this...?" Priest asks Wynn, her eyes wide with concern. I shook my head in disbelief. It made perfect sense.

Not too long ago, Kady had called Ash to knock Wynn off for her. I think she got impatient and tried to do the deed herself.

I leaned in close with Priest and Wynn. "You know Kady called Ash, right?"

Priest nods her head. "Yeah, you told me that already."

Wynn is shocked at this revelation. "W-what? She tried to put a hit on me?! She's a fucking psycho." she comments. "Now that I think about it, she did wear that shit that Kady always wears. That, um... cherry bomb scent?"

I crossed my arms. "Cherrylicious Supreme Bomb. That was her." I confirmed.
Priest leans forward. "So what are we doing about it?"

"I don't know what to do. I wanna do something, but I don't think I could actually bring myself to hurt her." I admit.

"You don't have to." Priest replies. " I can call up some friends and see what's up with them."

I was slightly taken aback by what Priest was suggesting. She wants to put a hit out on Kady? Just a while ago, she won't even curse because she doesn't think it's of God. The one time she sleeps with me she denounces religion and suddenly has no qualms about putting hits on people. Something had changed, and I didn't know if it was be for better or worse. If I had to gauge it right now, I would say she's headed toward worse, and it was kind of alarming.

I furrowed my brows. "No, Priest. Besides, they'd be on my case immediately. The first thing police do when somebody dies is look for the significant others— past and present. Considering I just got questioned for somebody else's death, I might not want to be linked to another dead body." I say, whispering loudly.

Wynn folds her arms. "So, what do you expect me to do then? I can't go home, Zee. She knows where I live. I don't wanna stay with you 'cause she knows where you live. I just—" she sighs in defeat. "The bitch tried to kill me. If we don't do anything, you know she'll come and finish me off."

"You can stay with me." Priest suggests. "She's never been over to my house. She'll have no idea where to find you." I nod my head in agreement. "That's probably the best choice. P can escort you to the house to get whatever you need. Pack heavy— it'll be a while before you go back. you can chill over there. We can swing by your crib and grab anything you might need. I think it's gon be some time before you can safely be home." I warn.
Then we all sat quiet for a minute.
"I can't fucking believe she just tried to kill me." Wynn said, starting to cry.
"Nah, you good. You good. Nothing is going to happen to you, period. You already know we don't play that. So calm down."
"Dang, Zee. The girl just just survived an attack. Let her get her emotions out." Priest said, cutting her eyes at me, simultaneously trying to console Wynn.
I rolled my eyes. "I get it but at the same time, we never let weak people put fear in our hearts. Didn't we always say that shit? What's the difference today?"
Priest brings Wynn into a consoling hug, while she sternly looks at me. "We'll talk later." Priest mouths, causing me to roll my eyes.
"I'm just saying. Never let a weak bitch see you sweat. Period."
"Can we just go?" croaked Wynn. I sighed. "Fine, let me go get the girls." I said. I went and got my sisters and took  them to the front counter to redeem their tickets. Both of them had gotten upwards of 200 tickets. I let them have the 100 that I won. I didn't give a fuck about the prizes, really. To my surprise, they wanted to put their tickets together and get something cool for Wynn. Britt turns to me. "What's her favorite animal?" she asked. Joey responds. "She likes puppies, right? There's a big stuffed Dalmatian up there."
"Oh, yeah, she would love that. Remember when she would come over and watch 101 Dalmatians with us? It's her favorite dog ever. That would make her very happy." I said. They both looked at each other and smiled. "You wanna get her that one?" asked Joey to Britt. "Yeah!" she declared. "It's 206 tickets! We got that! And we can get some candy, too!" Sriracha took the tickets and got the big Dalmatian and set it on the counter. Joey grabs it. Then, Sriracha brings out all of the candy trays. Each candy was worth 5 tickets. I left them to pick out their candy as I head back and tell Priest to cover Wynn's eyes. Then I sped back up to where my sisters were and walked them outside in front of Priest's car. Then, I told them to pose with the dog. Shortly thereafter, Priest and Wynn come outside slowly, because Wynn's eyes are covered. Then, Britt tells Wynn to open her eyes. She removes Priest's hand from over her eyes and looks straight ahead, immediately noticing the dog. "We thought this might cheer you up!" Britt exclaims.
Tears well up in Wynn's eyes. "Oh my goodness, you guys are so thoughtful!" She takes the dog in one hand, and gathers the girls for a hug in the other. "Thank you!"
"You're welcome." Joey replies. She then walks off because she is not one for a bunch of mushy shit. "And Britt, I can't believe you're giving me something when we're celebrating your birthday! So sweet!"
"Oh, that's fine. You can give me something on your birthday!" She replies. Everyone starts cracking up. "Oh, okay, I'll make sure to do that! Happy birthday, sweetie!" she says, giving her an extra pat on the back.
"Alright, guys. Come on, I'm taking y'all home."
Priest unlocks the door and lets Wynn in her car. I gave Joey my keys to allow them to get in the car. Priest walks over to me and folds her arms. "So, what's the plan? She stays at my house for how long?"
I shrug. " I don't know. Probably a couple days. Just until it seems like Kady has calmed down."

Priest shakes her head. "I don't know if she'll ever calm down. She called Ash. There ain't no coming back from that." she whispered.
I kiss my teeth. She was right. Kady was unlikely to cool off on her disdain for Wynn anytime soon.
"You're probably right. Okay, so here's the plan."
Priest raises her eyebrow. "I'm listening."
"Once I drop off my sisters, I'll come back here, and we can both take turns watching over her. It'll be fun— we'll have a sleepover, like we're 13 again. Is that cool?" I ask.
Priest chuckles. "Sounds like a plan. If I'm not back before you, you know where my spare key is."
"I sure do. Let me get these kids back before my mama reports them missing."
She snickers. "Okay. Be careful, Zee." Priest calls, as I turn to walk to my car.
I raised a brow. "Aren't I always?"