Chapter 23

As I realize I'm losing this round of Super Smash Brothers, I reach over into P's lap, where her controller was, blindly pressing whatever buttons I can, to get her to stop making me lose health. She laughs incredulously, clearly shocked at the desperate measures I was taking. After the initial shock wore off, she did the same thing to me, so now both of our characters are doing a whole bunch of nothing.
"You cheating!" I call out, clearly highlighting her actions, and ignoring my own.
"I'll be that!" she says, ripping her controller away from my grip, and still fucking my shit up. When the game recognizes her as the winner, I stared in disbelief. "What the fuck?" I managed to say, fully convinced that Priest had an extra hand, or something. I suck my teeth as she celebrates her win.  
"I want a rematch... but not before I get my charger. Excuse me." I say, grabbing my car keys. She furrowed her eyebrows. "I have a charger in here. Why don't you use that one?"
"Is it an original Apple charger?"
"No."
"Didn't think so. I'm not using a fake charger in my phone. Shit'll kill the battery life and stop working after a month. I ain't got time for it."
So, I go and get my charger. While I'm in the car, I get a call from Kady. I couldn't believe this bitch had the nerve to call my phone after what she did to Wynn. There was no way in Hell I would ever pick up the phone for her, again. So, I blocked her number. I decided that this incident wasn't even worth telling anyone about. I grabbed my charger and went back in the house. I glanced at P reading something when I plugged my phone in. When I finally reclaim my seat on the couch, I could see what it was she was reading. It was the the thank-you card I'd given her. "You ready?" I asked her, grabbing my controller.
"You know what it is I like about you?" She asked.
I look at her like she was crazy. She looked like she was in a trance, or something. Why was she looking at me like that? By now I knew that she was physically attracted to me, of course, but I had taken specific measures to keep her from finding an excuse to look at me for longer than a few seconds. Even though I didn't mean to stay over as long as I did, I still made sure that I wasn't wearing anything that I wore the last time she pounced on me. I knew she liked my hair down, so I made sure to plait my hair and put it in a low bun. I halfway covered my face with my SnapBack, too. That worked until she pulled my hat over my face to sabotage me during an earlier round of a Smash Brothers match. It's on backward, now. I was too busy trying to figure out why she was getting all sentimental with me, instead of giving her an answer. It's not really like it mattered— she probably wasn't looking for one.
"You're actually very sweet. I don't think you like for people to know that about you, but it's true."
"Sweet?" I ask, genuinely confused.
"Don't forget very. I said very sweet." she corrects me.
"I'm not sweet." I counter.
"What do you mean? You just gave me literally three of everything when I only ordered one of everything."
"You just caught me in a really good mood, that's all." I say, brushing it off.
"You stayed up through the night just to keep an eye on your friend for days on end."
"I wasn't just gonna let her be alone and vulnerable!" I say. "I just did what friends do for each other. I wouldn't be me if I didn't."
"You're so good a friend, you bought the same person an alarm system to make sure she could feel some kind of security, and she didn't even ask for it."
"Well..-"
"That brings me to something else I like about you. Your humility. You don't even like for your good deeds to be spoken on."
I blush, avoiding her gaze.
"My absolute favorite thing about you..."
"Oh God." I say, not quite prepared to take yet another compliment.
She laughed. "My favorite thing about you is your vulnerability."
I chuckle. "You like it when I bore you with my problems? I always figured you were just being nice by listening."
"I genuinely enjoy hearing you talk about whatever it is on your mind. When you open up to me, I feel... special. It's like, nobody else sees that part of you. Everyone else gets such a tough version of you, but I get to see the other side of it. I'm proud that you feel safe enough to share that with me." After registering what she said, I wasn't smiling anymore.
"You know I'm bout to get in your ass, right?"
She rolled her eyes. "C'mon, not—"
I cut her off. "You know it took me forever to even tell you my name. Clearly it took even longer for me to trust you."
"You're right." she whispered.
"So why leave me hanging like that? Why get me to trust you with my feelings, if you're just gonna shit on 'em? It would hurt less if you didn't know how much it takes for me to admit shit like that, but you do!"
She shrugs. "I was just being honest, Zee."
"I'd never felt more fucking stupid a day in my life." I seethe, clearly still pissed about our last encounter. I guess I wasn't over it.
All of a sudden, I feel my face getting hot. Fuck! I really needed to get out of here. I didn't want P to see me cry. I hated crying in front of people.
"I gotta go." I say, voice breaking. When I go to stand up, Priest takes hold of my arm, preventing me from actually standing.
"I don't want you to leave until we talk this out." she says. I wipe my eyes with one hand while I jerk the other out of Priest's grip. "Get off me. I'm out." I tell her, walking over to the wall, so I can unplug my charger.
She comes to where I was, standing directly in front of me, almost like she's cornering me.
"Please don't leave. Please." Her voice broke too, but she wasn't crying.
"Come sit back down, I wanna talk this out." she says, offering her hand to me. I don't take it, instead I fold my arms and stare right through her. She sighs deeply. "I couldn't comfort you 'cause I'm in the exact same space of confusion as you are, Zee. I can't talk you through something I don't know my way out, myself. It's like the blind leading the blind."
I look at her like she was stupid.
"Why didn't you just say that?!" I ask. That would have saved me so much time of worrying about how much she truly liked me. She let me feel like I was the only that was experiencing weird feelings after we slept together. That really fucked with me.
She sighs. "I didn't know how to!" I roll my eyes.
"That's not good enough for me, P. I've tried to be okay with not having clear answers, but... all it does is make me doubt everything. That's why be I be steering clear of you, to be honest." I admit.
She furrows her brows.
"What is it with you and taking literal breaks from me?"
I sigh. "It just keeps me from saying and doing things I'll regret. It also kind of feels like putting you on punishment. It's great." I admit.
She smacks her teeth. "I just wish you would tell me why you're mad, instead of just making me guess. You know you be wanting to tell me off, so you might as well do it. It's not safe for you to bottle your feelings up, 'cause you let it consume you." I snicker.
"It's the fact you think you're Dr. Phil, for me. Go on, Dr. Price, tell me more."
As soon as I crack a smile, she seizes the moment to gently grab my hand. She starts talking as we get back to our seats.
"...When you don't let your feelings out, they spill out, anyway. Your note is proof of that." she said, smirking.
I tried to remember what was in it. "Girl, all I said was 'thanks for your support'."
Her expression doesn't change at all. "That's probably all you meant to say, but that's definitely not all you wrote in the card."
I furrowed my eyebrows. I was confused as to what she was talking about.  What did I write on that damn card? I grab it, to read it for myself. I wrote the shit, but apparently was unaware of what it actually said.
She softly tugs it from my hand and places it out of reach. "I'm just tryna see somethin'. You had a problem with me not expressing my feelings for you—fine, I did it. I want you to express yours."
I scoff. "Sounds like I already did, in the card."
She chuckles. "I want you to tell me to my face."
"I didn't think I had anything to say to your face, that's the problem."
"Don't worry about trying to remember what you put on the card. Just tell me how you feel, right now."
I bit my lip, I really was nervous. "Well, like I was saying earlier, I felt used. It's kinda weird because I was so worried about you feeling used but when I expressed my feelings to you, you acted like you didn't have any towards me. So I felt used. Like a blowup doll or something."
She gasped. "Oh my God. I'm so sorry, Zee. I never woulda let you out of my sight if I knew you felt that way! I just thought I made my feelings clear when we, you know."
"I'ma keep it a buck with you. I ain't get shit from that except a few nuts and a whole lotta confusion. I appreciate the nuts, but... maybe we oughta discuss stuff like that when our clothes are on. This way I'm actually alert."
She chuckles. "Can I do both?" she asks.
I just laugh. "You're so annoying." I tell her.

⭐️Vote/Comment⭐️