Chapter 13

As I finally cleaned up my room, I replayed the encounter over and over in my mind. I just kept thinking of how I could have stopped it from happening, but didn't. One second, I smiled at something she did, but in the next, I felt a great disgust with myself. How could I just let Priest do something like that? She wasn't ready! A good friend would have told her that sex is no bandaid when it comes to feelings. Sex doesn't do anything except make shit even more complicated. You catch a nut and an even bigger nag, in most cases. For example, now I wanted to ask Priest what the hell was going on. How does she come into my house, do that, and leave without saying anything to me? As badly as I wanted to see where her head was at, I knew she needed space to figure everything out, herself.

A knock at the door out jolted me out of my thoughts. I sigh in annoyance. I didn't wanna do shit except hide under a blanket forever. When I got to the door, I had seen a man in a pretty nice navy blue suit. He was a skinny light skinned man with a low cut fade, who stood at 6 feet tall and was probably round 35 years old. "Hi, Zuri. I'm Detective Marco Grant with the NPD." he says, showing his badge. He was the same officer I'd seen at Vicky's house. I guess I was surprised to see him again, but I shouldn't have been. I knew by now that they asked a million questions a million damn times, just to ensure that your answer stays the same. So, it was fine with me.

"I'm here to speak with you on the matter of Victoria Caruso. Um, may I come in?"
"Yeah, come on." I tell him, holding the door open for him. I lead him to living room couch. I sit across from him, on the other end of the couch.

"Thanks for speaking with me. I just wanted to clear up some things with you. I wanna discuss how you came to meet her. When did you first meet her?"

"Uh, well... I met her in the grocery store. I started a conversation with her, 'cause she looked familiar to me. But it turns out she's not that same girl. Then, I went to a comic store to see if I could find anything I like, in there. She winds up showing up there, too. So we walked in together and that's where the friendship started.

He writes something down on a pad of paper. "Okay, do you know how long ago that was?"

"Ooh, not very long ago. I couldn't have known her for longer than a month, if that."

"Okay." he says, writing down my answer. "What did you usually converse about?" He asked.

"Nothing of real importance. We were just getting to know each other, so we were still on basic stuff, like what our favorite comics were, and all that." I replied.

"So, what was the nature of your relationship?" he asks.
"Friendly. Casual. Platonic." I'd said. "I didn't even know what kind of people she liked— that's how new our friendship was."
He writes down this answer, too.
"Okay. What were you doing on the day of  April 19th?"

"Well, I went to my mom's house at around 10 A.M. I picked my sisters up and took them to school."
"What are their names?"
"Brittany is 10, in fourth grade. Josephine is 14, in ninth grade."
"What school do they go to? Do you know their teachers' names?"
I told him, and he takes all this information down, repeating the information to himself, quietly. "Kathy Ribble.... Brittany's teacher."
"You took them to school at ten in the morning? That's a bit late, no?" Detective Grant ponders.
"They both had doctor's appointments." I respond. "Anyway, after I dropped them off, I stopped by Moe's Mart. Probably around 10:30, or so...Then I went to my best friend's house. Stayed 'til about 5, or so."
"What is your best friends name?" He questions. "Verena Price. I told her about Vicky, but she's never met her, or anything. She probably couldn't pick her out of a lineup." I remark. I didn't need her being dragged into this bullshit. She really was innocent in all this. He asked for her number so I went ahead and gave it to him. It gave me an excuse to text her later. I know I said I'd give her a minute before talking to her again, but I had to let her know an officer would be contacting her. She should hear that her name was mentioned, from me.
"And you stayed there until, what?"
"5." I repeated. "Then I went to go meet up with Vicky. That's when I found her."
"Okay, so you remember seeing anything strange when you found Vicky?"
"I guess I found it weird that Vicky's door was unlocked. She did mention one thing about her childhood to me— she keeps her doors locked all the time 'cause she never had any privacy in her home, growing up. She keeps it locked 'cause she doesn't like people walking in her space, no matter what time of day it was. I tried the door just to see if it would turn, and when it opened, I kind of thought something was up."
He interlaces his fingers and begins to talk again. "We have to ask everyone this, so don't think we've arrived at a conclusion about this case. Did you kill Vicky?"
"No." I said, matter of factly.
"Do you know who did?" he asks again.
"No." I say again. Technically, I wasn't lying. I really didn't know. Now, I had a hunch, and I was pretty sure I was right, but... I wasn't going to go on record saying that I think Chris did it. She didn't know that I knew who Chris was. What I would do is, turn over any evidence I came across, anonymously.
He then thanked me for my time and told me to keep an eye on my phone, just in case he had any more questions. I nodded and he walked out.