Chapter 8

I stand at Vicky's door, speechless. I didn't know what to do. Of course I had killed before, but I had never found anyone dead before. What was the protocol? To call the authorities? Why the fuck would I do that? Although I was sure I'd never be caught for my crimes, it's too easy for me to be stuck with Vicky's death. I knew anyone that was around her would be considered a suspect, but that was fine, as long as I wasn't considered a prime suspect. Those are the ones police give the most heat to. I already knew that most murder victims closest family members and friends got questioned about what they know. They do that 'cause most people get killed by those they know. Now... off rip, I knew that Chris had been the one to kill Vicky. She's the one that hired me to do the killing. She must have gotten tired of waiting. I didn't understand what finally made her break. If the girlfriend knew she didn't like Vicky, I knew other people did, too. So, I figured Ash would come up into the discussion pretty quick. The only thing is that she's probably trying to avoid any jail time. So she'd never admit to soliciting somebody to kill Vicky. If she lets the police know that Ash is a hitman, she'll have to think of someone to blame on why she knows that. After thinking it over, I went ahead and called the authorities. I felt like it was the least I could do.

While I awaited their arrival, I looked over the crime scene, from outside of the house. First off, I could see through the door that Chris had tracked blood through the house. I didn't see any bloody footprints on the porch, so she must've taken her shoes off. I didn't see the wound, but there was a pool of blood around her. She didn't even attempt to clean anything up. What a dumbass. She is definitely going down, if they figure out who did it. In my opinion, it wouldn't take too long if they asked around.

I turned around as I heard police sirens down the street from the house. I decided to play the concerned friend role, approaching the first officer that got of his car. "Officer, I think she's dead. I tried calling out to her and I got no answer. I can't believe this." I say, sadly.
"Okay, what's your name?"
"I'm Zuri, but I go by Zee. I'm Vicky's friend." I reply.
"Hi, Zee. I'm officer Marco Grant. Is Vicky the name of the deceased person."
"Yes, Vicky Caruso. We were supposed to have a Naruto Watch Party. But then I found her."
"How long have you known her?"
"I've known her for... maybe a month."
"Can you think of anybody that would want to hurt her?"
My mind screamed Chris' name, but I knew I'd never say it aloud. I put on a sympathetic look. "I can't. We weren't well acquainted with each other. We didn't discuss negative stuff. So, if there were problems, I never heard about 'em." I explained.

After a couple more minutes of questioning, the officers let me go. I had questions of my own that I didn't share with them. One of the questions is, 'where the hell is Chris'? She obviously knows I didn't get around to killing Vicky, so where the hell is she? Something tells me I haven't seen the last of her.
I wonder if that was an act of God. I knew that Priest had been praying and praying and praying about both of us removing ourselves from such risky careers. She'd stopped already, but still hadn't managed to find her new lane. I was working towards my new business ideas, but the Vicky hit had loomed in my mind. I couldn't officially retire until the situation got resolved. I already decided that it wasn't going to be with me drawing blood from Vicky. Now that she's dead, anyway, I was officially done with doing hits. But... now I had to worry about Chris being on the loose. Finding Vicky and having to deal with the authorities for the very first time only helped me stand by my decision to get out of this career for good. I hurried up and went to Priest's house to let her know what went down.

A half an hour later, I was in her living room relaying everything. "This is the first time I've ever had to deal with authorities since I've been in this business. Definitely shook me up a little bit. I am definitely done." I declared.
Priest, along with a wide grin, throws her arms around me and squeals.
"Aw, I'm so happy for you! And you know what? I believe this was God's plan for you all along."
"I wish He didn't have to scare me half to death before I convinced myself I could quit."
"That's how it usually is. When you're as hardheaded as you are, a lesson that drastic is required!"
"Ugh, you sound like my mom. Always reminding me how stubborn I am." I roll my eyes as I release my hair from the shackles of a ponytail holder. That whole Vicky thing was had given me a damn headache. I sigh in relief as the pressure is definitely lifted off my head.
"So, now that we're no longer lawbreakers, what do you suggest we do?"
"Smoke. And drink. And think. Very hard. We gotta figure out what you gon' do. I think I'ma go ahead and start my sister's stores up... then I'ma see what I can do for me."
Priest sat up in her seat. "I like the thinking part. But smoking, no. And you already know I don't keep alcohol in the house."
I rolled my eyes. "When did you become the fun police? Look, I know you love God and the Bible and all of that, but it shouldn't keep you from having a little fun!" I say. "So... here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna light up, take a puff, and then pass it to you. And then you will take a puff. Just do it, you'll like it, I promise."
"You can do it, but I'm not."
I scoffed. "Why? You ain't gon' tell me there ain't a scripture prohibiting the use of marijuana, are you?"
Priest thinks for a minute. "I would, but I don't think there is one."
"So, let's get high!" I suggest again, with a big grin. "I know you sold all your shit, so I brought mine. My Ls are all pre-rolled so we don't have to waste any time."
Before Priest can object, I pull out my blunts and a lighter.
"Be careful with that lighter, Zee. If you burn my couch, I'ma hurt you!"
I rolled my eyes as I proceeded to light the blunt and take a drag. I inhaled the smoke into my lungs, and happily exhaled it in Priest's direction. I grin as she
"Doesn't that smell glorious?" I ask, stifling a laugh.
She frowns at the fact that the smoke made the room look foggy. "It smells like someone forgot their deodorant." she complains.
"It won't matter to you once you get high off your ass. Here...you try."
Priest looks at me funny.
"Y'all just be sharing blunts?"
I side eye her for a minute. "Yes, girl. I'm not giving you a whole blunt to yourself if I know you ain't gon' finish it.
"Uh, okay." she says. She takes the blunt from my hand and puts it to her lips.
"Inhale, Priest."
When she does it, she winds up coughing really hard. I snicker as she hands the joint back to me.
"Look at me. Watch me." I tell her, putting it to my own lips again, taking another drag of it, with my eyes closed. I take another exhale and blow it out of my mouth, again.
I open my eyes again, and pass the blunt back to her. "C'mon, try again." She sighs and takes it back. She, too, takes another puff, and coughs again.
"I don't think this is for me." she manages to choke out.
"Do you have asthma?" I ask.
"No."
"Then it's definitely for you!" I exclaim. "We just gotta build your tolerance, that's all. Do it again."
Priest rolls her eyes at me and begins to put the blunt to her lips. I looked on as she tried again, just encouraging her. I didn't know what the girl had against smoking. All I wanted her to do was enjoy herself for a minute. She was high strung, naturally, so she needed to relax. I needed to be calm, too. I wanted to forget all about what happened with Vicky. I needed Priest to distract me from this bullshit. Otherwise I would go crazy. I was afraid to see what that would look like.