Chapter 9

A few days later, I was on the way to my mom's house. I just passed the Saint Anne's Christian Church of God in Christ. On the front steps, I saw all these people going inside of a church. A couple of the people wore shirts with Vicky's face on them. There were limos with her name on it, so it figured today was the day of her funeral. I could see a few undercover police cars, so I was sure investigators had found their way to the funeral, to gather some information. It was also to see if the killer might be in the funeral, as some killers attend their victims' funeral. Half of me wanted to go into the funeral to pay my respects, but I knew it wasn't a smart idea. I couldn't think of anyone who goes to funerals of people they barely know. I wanted to go in because I needed to see if Chris had showed up. However, I couldn't go in all incognito— that looks suspicious. I'd have to find out Chris' whereabouts some other way. 

During my short visit with my mom, I asked her if she needed me to do a store run for her. She was usually too busy to do it, so I'd take care of it for her. I could have just called and asked her this, but I really wanted to see my people. It had been too long since I'd seen 'em. I walk in without knocking, yelling through my mom's house like I was crazy. "Mom! I'm here!" I announced.
"I'm in the kitchen!" she replies. I go into the kitchen and find her standing at the sink, seasoning raw chicken.
"Hey, mama. Whatchu 'bout to make?" I ask, suddenly interested in finding out what I was gonna eat, for my next meal.

"Hey, baby. I'm just getting everything ready for dinner tonight. We're having roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and rolls. I'll make sure to set aside a plate for you."

"Oh, yeah, you already knew I wanted some. Where are Britt and Joey?" I asked.

"They're at school."

"But it's Saturday."

"I know. It's a lil shut-in kinda thing, except it's not overnight."
"Both of 'em?" I questioned.
"Yeah, it's like a Big Brother kinda thing. The high schoolers and the elementary kids are doing stuff all day today. They're supposed to be done around 8. Joey wanted to go for extra credit, but I made Britt go, too."

"I wish I'd have known that, otherwise I woulda just called." I tell her.
"Damn, you don't wanna see yo mama?" she asks, turning away from the sink.
I chuckle. "That's not what I said. Anyway, I came to see if you need anything from the store."

"Yeah, there's a list on the table." she says.

"Cool, I'll bring everything by after I get done hanging out with Priest."

As I walk over to the table, she starts talking again. "So, how's she doing?"
"She's fine. Still preaching me to death every time I go over there." I say, chuckling.

When I was done looking at the list, I looked up
to find her looking at me with concern. "You know... you should really consider listening to her. I have no idea how you have such a God-fearing best friend, and still do the things you do."

"Easy— I ignore it. I sit through every lecture and nod my head like I'm actually taking everything in. I don't be listening to her." I admit.

"Clearly." my mom counters. I only sigh deeply, instead of telling my mom that I wasn't the only one doing not so savory things to make money. But, it was bad enough that she knew about me doing bad stuff, it would break her heart to know Priest wasn't all the way righteous, either.

"I get that I do... things.... that would not be acceptable under the law, but hey, I'm trying to make a living out here, mom. Bills are real and nobody cares where the money comes from. I gotta make sure everybody is good— that's why I do it."

"I get it, Zee. Thank you for making sure me and your sisters are good. But don't act like I asked for it, okay? Don't try to guilt me into rationalizing why you do those things. Is selling drugs that profitable?"