Chapter 24

The following week, I found myself taking a little break from fulfilling the Choice orders. I couldn't believe my luck. Choice hadn't been in existence for long at all, but so many people had made their way to the site and placed an order. I enjoyed seeing that my business idea was panning out, but it was quickly proving to be exhausting. I stare at the mountain of clothes on my couch and shake my head. I made it my goal to ship out at least half of this stuff before the day was over.

Out of nowhere, I hear a knock on my door. That's weird. I wasn't expecting any company. I approach the door with great caution, making sure to look through the peephole. I tried and failed to keep from smiling before I opened the door. There was Priest standing before me, looking good as fuck.

I could tell she'd been to the salon lately, as her hair was styled differently than normal. Not only did she look freshly groomed, but she was fully decked out in Choice merch. She wore the white shirt with the burgundy joggers. I was flattered that she was actually wearing it.

"Ooh, I like your outfit. Where'd you get it?" I joke.
She laughs as she walks through the door. "Hey."
"Hey. What brings you here?" I ask her.
"Well, I remember you telling me about how you're swamped with orders all the time. I figured I could drop by and help you out today, since you like to use it as an excuse to not see me."
I rolled my eyes. "I do not—"
"I'm joking, Zee. Relax." she assured me.
"No, 'cause you-"
I'm interrupted yet again, but this time by a smooch on the lips.
I could feel all the anger leave my body.
"You calm?"
I don't answer her, but she already knew the answer to that. I just didn't want to give her the satisfaction of me confirming some shit like that.
"Good." she says aloud, quite pleased with herself. I hated that she knew how to get to me, 'cause she's been using that knowledge to her advantage every time I've seen her, since she first touched me.
"You picked a good day to come over." I tell her, breaking the silence.
"Oh, yeah? Why's that?"
She wasn't really that interested in the answer to that question. I could tell she'd rather skip all this talking and get right to fuckin'. I wished she would think of something else, though. How is it that she wants to do shit like that all the time? Not only wasn't I in the mood for no shit like that, but we would be too busy for all that. Since I knew all this, I once again, choose not to answer her question.
Instead, I just walked her to the living room.
We stop just behind my sectional, the one that was covered in Choice merch. At that exact moment, a little head pops up from the other side of the couch. "Reena!"
It takes Priest a second to register what just happened. Then she chuckles to herself. "Hey, Britt-Britt!" she replied, walking over to where she was. She already knew that if Britt was here, so was Joey. They'd been here all morning, helping me square away some of these orders. I told 'em that, since it's basically their business, they had to put in some work, too. Some days this would include participating in photo shoots, wearing these clothes to school to advertise them, and actually fulfilling some of these orders. The look on P's face was funny, though. Seeing her realize that her plans were foiled made me wanna laugh so bad. That's what the fuck she gets.

After playing catch-up with Britt, Priest talked to Joey for a little bit. Joey, although she answered every last question that she was asked, couldn't have been less interested in talking to her. It wasn't 'cause she didn't like Priest, but because she had her AirPods in, no doubt listening to some music. Joey loves music, and whenever she was listening to it, nothing else mattered.

After a half-hour of resting from fulfilling orders, I start to explain how me and my sisters had been doing it, to Priest. It was set up kind of like an assembly line. Joey was the one that set up all the boxes. She'd slide the box to me. Then I'd look at the order and see what items I need to put in the box. Then, when I finish that, I grab a thank-you card and write a short message in it. Then I place it into the box and tape it shut. Then Britt puts the appropriate label on the package and and after a few orders stack up, she takes them and puts them against the wall. It was really efficient, considering how many orders we were getting through as a trio.

It didn't take Priest long at all to get with the program. She was a bit of a floater, offering to take the place of everyone else at least once, since we had been doing this all day today. With her help, we knocked out twice the amount of orders we typically do. Now, the merch mountain itself wasn't yet gone, but we had met my goal of packing away at least half of it. I knew I wouldn't have been able to do it without the crew. So, I decided to show them how much I appreciate their hard work. "Since everybody worked so hard, I think we all deserve a little Gary's. Y'all wanna go to Gary's?"
"Ooh, I love Gary's." Joey chimes in, causing me to laugh. She barely said much of anything all day, but made sure to chime in a conversation concerning food. "Me, too. I want breadsticks." Britt adds.
"P?" I ask, turning to her.
"How about this?" she begins. "Everybody load up the car, right? Then y'all kids take a breather. You'll stay here while me and your sister mail everything off and then we'll pick up some Gary's and bring it back. You okay with watching your sister, Joey?"
"Yeah, that's fine. As long as I get my Gary's."
"Cool. So, select what it is you want from the app."She hands the phone to Joey to select her meal. "And Britt, you choose yours after she's done."

Shortly after, we loaded up P's car and headed straight to the post office, leaving Britt and Joey at the house. I shake my head at her, when she started giggling when she finally got in the driver's seat of the car. She had to know I saw right through that bullshit she pulled in the house. "Where's the post office at?"
"It's on 4th & Rhodes." I tell her, folding my arms.

Priest must've suspected that I was mad at her. But I wasn't. I was just too lost in my thoughts to say anything to her. When we pulled up to the post office, she told me to stay in the car. I rolled my eyes. "I'm not gonna let you do all this by yourself. And you probably don't even know what to do." I say, beginning to take my seatbelt off.
"It's not rocket science. I got it." She reassured me.

I watched her walk into the office and walk out with one of those baskets, filling it with every single package that was in the car. I enjoyed the sight of her stacking so many boxes on top of each other and lowering them into the cart. "See?" she says, closing the door. She doesn't give me a chance to say anything, though, she just pushes the cart back into the building. And from what I could see, she was going the right way. But I knew she'd wind up needing me to do something, though. I still had to pay the shipping costs. All those packages together would cost an arm and a leg to ship out. So, I patiently waited for her to signal that I needed to come in. I smirked when she came back out of the office, but it quickly disappeared when I saw her return to the drivers' side of the car, and got in. "All done." she says, folding a piece of paper, probably the receipt, and then stuffing it into her pocket.
"You didn't have to do that." I told her.
"Just say 'thank you'."
I chuckle. "Thank you."
"You're very welcome, Zee." she says, smiling, and we finally pull off.

On the way to Gary's, we talked about her permanently helping out with Choice.
"I'm willing to help you out with this, full time— if you let me."
When I didn't answer right away, she reasoned with me some more. "Let's be real, here. There's no way you can keep this business afloat with just you handling everything, with the occasional helper. At the very most, your sisters might be able to come over to help twice a week. You need help."

She was right. There was no way I'd be able to do this on my own. And it wasn't like I didn't want her help. She did an incredible job today. On top of that, she handled all the shipping stuff by herself, even taking the liberty to pay for it. I knew she would be a real asset to the company. And under normal circumstances, I would have immediately accepted her proposal. The only problem was that accepting her help would give us more time to be in the same space together, alone. And something told me that it wasn't a good idea.

Before I give her an answer, though, my phone rings. And on the other end of it was a panicked Wynn. I was surprised that she had called me. I thought she was supposed to be at work. At first, I rolled my eyes when I heard her voice, 'cause she had just pulled this fake damsel in distress shit on me not long ago. "Quit playin'. What you want?" I ask.
She whimpers some more. "I-I... I think I killed Kady."

⭐️ Vote/Comment ⭐️