Chapter 17

While she scanned my face, I scanned hers. Yeah, that was definitely her. I braced myself for her to do something if she recognized me. I discreetly moved my index finger to the trigger of my pistol. It had been laying flat on my lap. I slowly nodded at Chris to let her know I could see that her gaze was fixed on me. It would look a little shifty for me to quickly look away. I wasn't so sure that she would think that Ash, who clearly didn't do the job she asked her to do, would be bold enough to even acknowledge her existence. She nods back and looks forward.

As the light turns green, I push the gas, heading in the same direction that she was. I stayed back a considerable distance to keep her from thinking that somebody is following her. For a while we traveled on the same main road in town. Then she ended up stopping in the parking lot in front of what looked like a warehouse. I followed her, but I drove past where she'd pulled in at. The name on the building read, Matzonona Packing. Huh... I don't remember it ever looking like this. Then again, I hadn't really paid attention to it in literal years. When I quit right before starting college, I never looked back. The only people that came here were folks who made large orders and employees. I reached into my glove compartment and get out my binoculars and began to watch Chris when I finally parked. Thankfully the lot had a few more cars in it. I was sitting next to a Black Mazda maybe three spaces away. Its windows were down, so I figured the owner would be back soon. The car next to it had all of its windows up so my view of Chris' car wasn't crystal clear, but I could still kinda see her in the car. She put all her windows up and locked the doors. Then I see her walking into the building in some olive green coveralls. Hmm.. I don't remember those, either. She was fiddling with what was probably a name tag. Okay, so it looked like she worked here. I wondered how long she's had this job. She wasn't here when I was.

Honestly, I was surprised that this is where she worked. This place used to be a part of a community service program, so that could be another reason she works here. She had to— I couldn't even fathom how long she had to save in order to even afford Ash's services, otherwise. The pay wasn't terrible, but it wasn't going to get you a bunch of money in a short period of time, either. After ten minutes had gone by, the owner of the Mazda came out and pulled off. It was official, Chris had clocked in. Since all my shifts used to be eight hours, I figured it was the same for Chris or any other employee here. I wasn't going to sit and wait for eight hours, so I decided to go in and take a better look at her, and see what I can find out. I didn't want Chris to recognize me so altered my appearance a little bit. I placed my hair in a bun and put on another SnapBack— and I threw on some glasses I had laying around.

When I walked in, I was immediately greeted by a deep brown-skinned woman, also in olive green coveralls. She, too, wore a bun, but hers was high, and it was red. Fire truck red. When I saw her heavily made-up face, I registered who it was. I smile and slightly pulled my glasses down so she could see my eyes. When she saw 'em, she gasped! "Zeeee!!" she exclaimed. She embraced me. "Hey, Kimmi." I say. I was happy to see her but I kinda regretted telling her who I was 'cause she was being extra damn loud. I was trying to do a little stealthing and she was kinda blowing my spot up.
"Oh my God, it's been years! I missed you so much!" she says, finally letting me go.
"I missed you, too." I tell her. It was true, I did. Ever since I'd become a hitman, I'd become kind of a recluse. Because of that, I never really made it a point to reunite with anybody, once I moved back. The whole reason I'm still tight with Priest and Wynn is 'cause we all grew up a few blocks apart from each other. I was around Kady 'cause she was my girl. I hadn't seen Kimmi since I was like 18.

"— And you know Andy came back." she says. I giggled. I didn't know what she was talking about, but I had to pretend to be engaged with her convo. I didn't even remember who Andy was. I couldn't believe she had said so much to me in such little time. How the fuck did we get on the topic of Andy?