13

Gilda was right.
It was really weird not having him around.
<you said you disappointed him. What do you mean?> Gillian continued.

Emma found herself forced to confess everything.
She said the scar had actually been open for quite a while.
She said how she wanted to keep it hidden and how Ray found out the truth.
This last argument in particular left the girls speechless.
<HE ... WHAT!?>
<DID HE...TO YOUR SHIRT...WHAT!?>

Emma blushed, feeling surrounded by mischievous smiles.
<... and since that day he never spoken to me or give me a single glance> she finished her story.
<you feel very bad about it, right?> Violet gave her a look of compassion as she saw her friend sadden.

<Gilda you're right. It's strange not having him here by my side. It's strange not to laugh with him, to joke or to play with him anymore> She looked at her hands, feeling a sense of emptiness.

<do you miss him?> Gillian put down the cookies she was eating to comfort her friend.

Emma's eyes widened
<are you kidding me? I have a sense of emptiness inside my chest right now. I wanted so much for him to come and visit me at the infirmary when I woke up.
I wanted him to hold me in his arms because, even though I feel a strange warmth in my chest when he does it, it makes me feel safe and happy.
I wish I could feel his perfume envelop me again, even if when it happens I feel my cheeks getting hot.
I'd like to hear his voice whispering in my ear,even if only to remind me that I'm an idiot.>
Tears fell from her face.
<I would give anything...anything...to get his attention again.>

There was silent. Emma had subconsciously declared how much she was in love with Ray, and her naivety softened her friend's hearts, except for one.

<you have a big crush,huh> Violet started to laugh
<I- WHAT!?>
<think about it, Emma. Do you only have those feelings when you are with Ray?>

Emma reflected.
All the memories she had with the raven, began to resurface in her mind , making her heart beat faster. Then she realized.
She laughed at her stupidity.
How did she not notice it before?

"I'm in love with Ray ..." A smile colored her face.

<But how can I solve this situation?>
<the only thing you can do is talk to him about it. But now ....> gillian got up and took the chess table under Emma's bed. <I want a rematch!>

<Aren't you going to bed?> Yuugo entered the library,approaching the table where the boy was reading.
<yes, as soon as I finish this book> Ray didn't take his eyes off the page.

<Are you going to continue with this behavior again?>
<I don't know what you're talking about>
<You know very well what I mean. emma made a mistake, but she doesn't deserve this. You didn't even go to see her when she woke up>
<she disappointed me> Ray just flipped another page
<really?>
Yuugo crossed his arms arching an eyebrow <seriously,do you think you can fool me? You can do it with the others but not with me Ray.
I know very well that things are not really like that>

Ray lifted his head towards the older one.
<I can't hide anything from you, huh> a little laugh escaped from his lips.
<well...it's true, no matter how hard I try I can never hate her>

<then why did you decide to move away from her?>
<because I can't protect her> Ray closed the book and rested his head on the table. <every time she got hurt I was there, next to her, but I never managed to prevent her from getting hurt. how could I have had the courage to go to her in the infirmary and smile at her like nothing happened?
I am a failure. Norman will be disappointed by me>

Yuugo put a hand on his shoulder
<I knew that behind your coldq ways there was a boy full of suffering.
Sometimes we can't stop things from happening, Ray>

The younger one looked up, meeting the eyes of the father figure. He watched him,listening to him.

<Sometimes things happen because they have to happen and in these cases we become powerless.
But there is one thing we can continue to do to make ourselves more useful>
<What?>
he wanted to know. he had to know.

<Stay close to those who are injured.
Give them a shoulder to support themselves and help them to get up.
I didn't know this Norman you and Emma talk about but I'm sure if he was here he would be proud of you for all the times you took care of her and helped her when she needed it most>

His words hit Ray deeply. For a moment he thought he saw Norman standing behind Yuugo,smiling at him and nodding at the words of the oldest.
Ray smiled as a tear of melancholy formed in his eye, fortunately covered by the fringe

<I'll be by her side. I will protect Emma no matter what!>