24

They headed into the secret room, where they finally be able to talk calmly.
<So? What's the problem?> Don asked.

Ray took a deep breath and began to tell them everything.

he told them about what happened in the library that evening, about the kiss they exchanged, of how things had unexpectedly evolved, of the mark he left on her neck involuntarily (or so he said) and how she tried to take revenge.

<Just ... what the hell?!> Don and Gilda said in unison.
They knew the two of them had always been very close but they didn't think up to that point.

They literally gasped, until Don broke their silence

<wait there's one thing I don't understand. Where's the problem? I mean ... you have feelings for her,right? And from what you said she probably feel the same way. So....what's wrong?>

Ray put a hand to his face.
Everything in that situation was wrong.
His feelings for her were wrong.
The feelings of guilt began to rise again, becoming heavier and heavier.

Gilda sought the gaze of her friend who was sitting next to her waving at him.
<I'm going to prepare some herbal teas to calm the mood a little>
And so she did, leaving the two boys alone to talk.

Don put a hand on the oldest's shoulder
<is there anything else bothering you Ray?>

"Bothering" was an understatement. It was something he found it hard to sleep at, that made him feel so bad, something he despised himself for.

He just nodded but he didn't know if talking about it was the right thing to do. But he was tired of feeling those remorse.
They made him another person, unable to take care of the family.
He wanted to talk , in hope all those bad thoughts would find their way to fly elsewhere and allow him to go back to taking care of the children with a clearer mind.

He told him about norman.

Norman. His best friend ...

Norman had always loved emma.
One day, as he and Ray were arguing about how they should escape and what the best strategy was, the topic came up by accident.
"Norman you are different from her. You are more rational. Why do you try to satisfy her request ?!" Ray yelled at him, tightening the grip on his collar.
"Because I like her. And I'd do anything to keep seeing her smile"
His eyes widened.

He.... Did he like emma?
Did he like her ... in that way?

Yeah, of course. It was obvious
It was easy to find out seeing his blue eyes, which shone every time they met hers or simply faced a discussion that had her as a topic.

Don's heart was about to melt.
For the first time, Ray was opening up sincerely and unfiltered with him,the person who had always considered Ray a role model.
Don admired him and dreamed one day of becoming like him.

The raven was focused on holding back the tears, when he suddenly felt Don's arms tighten him.

<Don?>
<you are truly a wonderful person, always ready to help us. You saved our live putting yours in danger many times. You have always been a loyal person and a big brother.
You are the person I admire most and the fact that you are confiding in me so openly....it honors me. So please don't be so mean... with yourself> he said, starting sobbing

Ray was speechless. His words touched him deeply. In his heart

<I didn't know Norman as well as you do, but I know that he was a kind and caring person. You two have always been very united.
He loved you so much and I'm sure he still love you a lot, wherever he is.
He will never hate you, Ray. For him you will always be his best friend, despite everything>

Don was crying like a child who had just lost his favorite toy.

<idiot. I should be the one who should cry and receive comfort> The dark-haired boy hug him tenderly
<thank you so much Don> he whispered and a tear ran down his face.

he felt better. He felt loved.
He felt that somehow all his worries were fading away.
He was grateful to don for listening to him and making him feel important.

Gilda smiled, listening everything from behind the door. She knew that letting them speak for themselves, man to man, would be the right choice for both of them.

<guys I brought herbal teas!> she opened the door wide and entered the room.

Don immediately withdrew from the embrace, quickly wiping his tears.
<... so this is the best way to defend yourself from a frontal attack. Is everything clear?> he pretended nothing had happened as Ray nodded.

<oh Gilda! I didn't hear you coming!> He told her trying to look manly.
<yeah yeah.> She rolled her eyes.

"Men..."

<I see you're in a very good mood don> she teased him.
<never been better!>

Ray looked at him
<I'm happy for you Don. You can use that energy for the workout that we'll start in 10 minutes>

The two younger ones froze at those words
"not again ..."

The hunt for Emma and oliver was going well. They had collected a lot of prey. And oliver seemed to have improved a lot with his aim, but he had to practice a little more.

Despite this, Oliver was quieter than usual. He thought over and over again about the conversation he had with Gilda

"I'm sorry if I'm bothering you. I need to talk to you about something....It's about emma"
"Did something happen?"

"Well...when we got back to the shelter yesterday I saw emma freeze at the sight of Ray holding Anna in that wat. At first I didn't understand why, but maybe now I do.
Especially after hearing Emma crying in her room when she ran out of the dining room after dinner. "

"So you noticed too, huh"

" She eats less than usual and sometimes even skips meals. Yuugo also agrees that there is something wrong."

Gilda looked at him sadly
"I know how much you care about her, but it's best if you talk about this directly with her. It's the best thing"