2 - Following Orders

Ivy's POV

"Ivy, you okay?" Genevieve asks me as we sit at our kitchen table with Kane. The smell of breakfast is amazing, but I just can't seem to find an appetite. I push my food around on my plate before looking up at her.

"Yeah, just had a shit sleep is all."

"You should eat." She says, concerned and I can't blame her.  I should eat to keep up my strength, considering I don't know what I will be asked to do, or subjected to. Every day here at Red Moon is highly unpredictable for me. Ever since I was stripped of everything and deemed responsible for the Alpha and Luna's deaths, the pack hasn't taken to lightly to the fact that I wasn't sentenced to death, and they have no fear in showing me exactly how they feel. Same with Cole.

Honestly, it's a question I ask myself every day. Why didn't Cole send me to the High Reign Council and have me charged with their deaths? Then he wouldn't have to deal with me being around anymore. It's not like I could walk up to him and question him, though. He's ordered me to never look him in the eye.

You usually don't ever look an Alpha in the eye unless you're asked, but it's much more of a risk for me. I'm considered dirt, and Cole doesn't hesitate to put me in my place. He's beaten me for just even glancing his way before. If there is one thing that I've learned over these past six years, it's to pick my battles. I fought back against Cole and his treatment and punishment of me for the first couple years, and after multiple beatings and no one to help me aside from Kane and Genevieve, I've backed off. I've learned to put on an act. I'm not some weak girl by any means, but if I show any signs that I am not following orders it's bound to end up badly for me.

I just hope that maybe one day I can be free of this and live the life I should be living.

I sigh and shove the food into my mouth, not really tasting it, but hoping that it gets me through at least the morning. I take a sip of water and look to Kane. "What are you guys up to today?" I always like to hear about their days and plans, as it helps me cope with my own situation. I'm happy that it's only us three that live together in this smaller house on the pack lands. That's one benefit of being the pack outcast; no one wants to be seen with me or live with me, so I have a place to escape to. Kane and Genevieve aren't as shunned as me, but they chose to be with me, so they aren't as liked by the pack either, but they don't care. They're the true definition of friends. They defend me, and don't hesitate to put others in their place if they need to.

"I'm working with the pack healers today to go gather herbs for our salves and remedies we need to make, I'm looking forward to it." Genevieve says as she pours herself another glass of orange juice and takes a sip.

Kane clears his throat. "I have to train some of the new pups today. I'm not looking forward to it." I chuckle lightly. Kane doesn't like training new pups, hates the entitled attitude of newly shifted wolves. I should know, I used to be one of them.

"Any idea what you're doing today?" Kane asks me and I stiffen. "Honestly, I don't know. Cole said something about prepping the new visitor building, so probably a lot of work for me today."

The table goes quiet for a moment and I know that they're trying to think of something to say that would make my task seem less daunting, but they know there isn't a single thing they can say to make it better. Cole overworks me constantly, even knowing I don't have my wolf stamina or strength that I would if I wasn't bound by these fucking silver cuffs.

"It's okay. I'll manage. I can only do so much. Just hope he gives me a list and leaves me alone."

"If you need help, call us okay?" Kane says and I nod. "Always."

I return to my breakfast, anxiety fluttering in my stomach in anticipation of what torture I might be subjected to today.

___

After cleaning up from breakfast and saying goodbye to Kane and Genevieve, I grabbed my phone and a water bottle and headed out myself.

I step outside of my house and feel the sun beam down on me, warming my skin. It's too bad that I can't just spend the day outside. I wish I could. I wish I had a different life, but this is my reality now.

Placing my phone in the back pocket of my grey acid washed jeans, and pulling down my black tank top, I start to walk.

I look ahead of me and see the Alpha mansion off in the distance to the far right. Kane, Genevieve, and I might have our own house, but Cole gave us the one that is the absolute farthest from any of the other buildings on the pack lands. Just to make it harder for me to get to where I need to go. Our little house is near the entrance to the pack lands too, and just past that entrance is where my life as I know it ended. I leave our house every day and my gaze always drifts, and I have to pull myself back.

I pull my red waves up into a tight ponytail, knowing that it's probably just going to get in the way with whatever it is I'm doing today. With that and a large sigh, I start my walk to the Alpha mansion, where Cole will be waiting. My sneakers crunch against the gravel as I approach the training grounds that are in the middle of our pack lands, and I see all Red Moon's warriors in the field practicing and a familiar pang of hurt hits my heart.

I should be there. That's where I belong. Not some Alpha's doormat.

I shake my head lightly and focus on my destination. I can't keep thinking of what should be. I continue and as I walk past the large garden that is in-between the Alpha mansion and the packhouse, I hear my name. I turn towards the sound and immediately lower my eyes. Cole's Beta, Alarik approaches me.

Alarik Esten is second in command here at Red Moon. He's Cole's best friend and killed the previous Beta for his position. He's ruthless, but you wouldn't know that by looking at him. Before I was forbidden to raise my eyes, I thought Alarik was handsome. With his striking brown eyes, chiseled body and his boyish face with silky blond hair, he definitely was a catch.

Now? He's just another asshole that I can't stand to be around.

With my eyes still lowered, I respond. "Beta Alarik."

"There you are. Alpha is at the new building waiting for you. Come."

"Yes, Beta." I respond robotically and I see Alarik's shoes as he gets closer to me. He grips my chin roughly and brings my face up. I avert my eyes as I'm still not supposed to look at him.

"Not going to cause trouble today, are you?" He questions as he holds my chin with such force, I feel tinges of pain where his fingers are.

"No, Beta."

"Good." He releases me and turns and starts to walk.

I rub my chin to relieve the soreness I'm now experiencing on my face and follow behind Alarik, cursing at him in my mind as we go.

Just breathe.

___

Here's chapter two! Hope you enjoy.

- See you in the next one! - vv