55 - Glimpse of Hope

Nathaniel's POV

I glance around as my car pulls into the rogue compound that is mostly run by Kaiden. The scent of rogue wolves is strong in the air as so many have collected here for refuge. I don't look down upon them at all, majority of them have just been dealt an off hand, and I welcome what Kaiden is trying to do.

Make a place where they can live peacefully.

As the car engine stops, I take another quick glance around before stepping out of the vehicle.

The compound is well put together, almost similarly to a pack. There are housing buildings all over the lands, with some main gathering areas for everyone as well as some recreational buildings. I exhale and see my breath cloud in front of me, as small snowflakes fall around me. It hasn't fully snowed yet, but it's coming. As thankful as I am that Kaiden has provided some sort of refuge for these wolves, it makes my heart pang with hurt that I still don't know where Ivy is, and if she's safe and out of this creeping coldness.

I see Kaiden approach me, bundled in a dark grey jacket with a fur lined hood and heavy cargo pants. He gives me a half smile as he stands in front of me.

"I'm sorry to hear that Ivy was taken."

I nod. "Thank you. You said you had some insight about her disappearance?"

"I think so. Follow me. Let's get somewhere warmer to discuss." I let him lead and we walk across the mainlands to a large building on the southern side, entering a main living area and then upstairs into what I can only assume is Kaiden's office.

He removes his jacket as do I, and we sit down on the large couch in front of the fire, but not before he offers me a drink of whiskey and I gladly take it to calm my high-strung nerves.

"I don't know exactly where she is, but I've got some information that may help you find her."

"Okay. Please tell me." I ask nicely, my pleading tone not going unnoticed.

"Cole and Alarik are trying to gain some ground here at the compound since they were removed from their pack and title after the trial. I spoke with them briefly, explaining that they could take refuge here, but only after the investigation and whatever time they serve for their crimes."

My eyes widen as Kaiden has been in contact with them recently, maybe even before that.

"I know what you're thinking, and I was not a part of it. But I started looking into things after details came out in the trial of how Cole's parents died."

"And?" I question intently.

"Before I was chosen as leader here a few years ago, I do remember hearing of a rogue attack at a local pack. Which I now know was Red Moon." He shifts in his seat before continuing, clearly uncomfortable with what he's about to tell me.

"I know the wolves that participated in that attack. Most of them are gone from here now, but there are two here that remain. Lela and Volmir."

"Are they willing to talk about what happened?" I question, realizing this could be the final thing that seals Cole and Alarik's fate concerning this whole ordeal surrounding his parent's deaths and Ivy's unlawful punishment.

"Yes. They've agreed to talk to you and write into the council with what they know. After seeing how Cole acted after they helped him, they're more than willing to assist in getting his ass handed to him."

His eyes glaze over briefly before the door opens and two wolves come in, address me, and bow before sitting down in chairs near Kaiden and I. They look between each other and back to me before speaking.