36 - Broken

Kane's POV

I help Evie lift Ivy up from the pavement and into the back of Tobias' car. Evie supporting her on the left side and me on the right, her still body laying over both of us, the metallic stench of her blood filling my nostrils. I keep my hand pressured on her wound as it's still bleeding, disgusted at the fact my friend's blood is seeping through my fingers from an injury that someone else did to her.

Cole must be behind this, but until Ivy recovers, we won't know exactly what happened to her and who actually did this to her.

If she recovers.

I glance over at Genevieve as Tobias takes off, and I see her face is wet with fresh tears as she strokes Ivy's head that is on her lap. She's still alive but barely. Her heartbeat is faint. Evie is covered in Ivy's blood just like me, and my wolf lashes out in my mind in intense anger.

"If she doesn't survive, I'm going to kill him." The coldness in her voice is highly apparent, which is a drastic difference from her usual bubbly self. I don't blame her; I feel the exact same. I'm raging inside. Ivy never deserved this.

"I know. I'll help you." I state and she turns her head to look at me, her eyes glowing yellow.

"Did she say anything about what happened before she passed out?" Tobias asks, his voice strained as he keeps his eyes on the road.

"She said three attacked with a knife. So, I'm assuming three assailants one of which stabbed her."

"I've mind linked our nurses at the pack, they're getting things ready for when we get there. I have to warn you, once Nate finds out he's going to rampage."

"I wouldn't expect anything less from him." I say and he glances in the rear-view mirror, catching my gaze and nods.

I know, Tobias.

- - -

Nathaniel's POV

I walk out of the meeting room, and I stop in my tracks as I feel tension within my pack bond. I go and drop off my paperwork and other items from the meeting off in my office, and head down to the front of my packhouse. I see my medical team of nurses – including my most trusted healer Nadine – in the front foyer.

"What's going on?" I ask and Nadine shakes her head and I feel a mind-link from Tobias. I let it through, and I feel his panic and unease as he speaks to me, each word deafening me.

- Ivy's been attacked. It's bad. We're almost to you. I asked Nadine to get everyone ready. Prepare yourself my friend, my Alpha. She's on the brink of death. –

I'm stunned into silence as Kiba roars in my head, his pain incoherent. I take a few deep breaths and look to Nadine.

"You must save her. Please."

"I will try my absolute best, Alpha."

I nod and stare at the front door, the anticipation of their arrival making my heartbeat wild. It's only another ten minutes before Tobias bursts in the front door, carrying my mate in his arms, covered in her blood and I snarl.

He brings her straight to me and I take her from him as we rush to the medical wing. I look down at her pale face, eyes closed and shallow breathing as I move with her, trying not to jostle her too much. We get into the medical wing, and I place her onto one of the beds and stare as Nadine and her team get to work. Scissors cutting her clothing off, gauze being placed on her wound and Nadine inspecting her for any further injuries.

I turn to face Tobias, Genevieve, and Kane. "What happened?" The strain in my voice showcasing my pain. "We don't know for sure. She went outside to get some air and then she didn't come back. We lost track of time and when she hadn't come back, we went to look for her and found her like that." Genevieve spews out quickly, her panic evident.

"She said three people attacked her and she got stabbed." Kane adds and I nod.

"Do we think someone is behind it?" I question and Genevieve and Kane both nod.

I'm drawn back to Ivy by Nadine as she lightly grasps my arm. "She needs your blood, Alpha. She's not strong enough." I nod and go and sit by her side and hold my arm out. Nadine is quick and effortless and gets a transfusion set up in record time, straight from me into Ivy.

"Why are you giving her your blood?" Genevieve asks. "That wouldn't have any effect unless..." She trails off as the realization hits her.

"She's your mate!?" She exclaims and I nod. "Yes. Ivy is my fated mate." I state and she turns to Kane with wide eyes, and he can't help but chuckle. I always had a feeling he knew but this confirmed it. "It wasn't obvious to you?" Kane asks her and she shakes her head. "I didn't even think about that, but now it makes total sense!"

"Alpha, your blood will make her strong enough for us to check the wound and surgically close it. It's possible that they intentionally hit an artery which is why she bled out so fast."

"What's your full opinion?" I ask her and she looks to Ivy and back to me. "Honestly, Alpha I am surprised she's even alive with the blood loss alone. Without her wolf she heals slowly, but her still breathing by the time she got here is nothing short of a miracle."

So it was that bad then.

I look over at her, seeing her chest rise and fall slow and shallow and it's hard not to rage out. My songbird, my beauty, my mate. I never thought I would see you like this.

I look to Tobias. "You all should go get cleaned up. Tobias, can you show Kane and Genevieve to the guest wing?" He nods and turns to them. "Let's get cleaned up and then we will come back."

I know they don't want to leave their friend, but they eventually leave with Tobias.

"Her heart is getting stronger with your blood, Alpha. We can investigate the wound now." Nadine says and I nod and watch her work her magic. She cleans and disinfects the wound, and runs her fingers inside, feeling for any abnormalities. As quick as she investigates, another member of the team hands her surgical cord and she begins to thread together the damage caused by the blade. In a matter of minutes, she's closing the outer cut and tying off the stitches.

"That's the biggest problem taken care of, now I can look at her other injuries." She says to me and I almost wince watching her look over Ivy's body, verbalizing her injuries.

"Soft tissue bruising and swelling of the face, chest and torso."

"Broken ribs, two on the left, and two - no three broken on the right."

"Multiple small lacerations on her face, arms, hands, and legs. Most likely defensive wounds on her extremities..."

Nadine walks over to me and removes the transfusion tubing from my arm. "You should go clean up yourself. She's stable for now, Alpha." I nod and look down at my shirt and arms stained with her blood.

"Call me if anything changes."

I get up and walk out of the room, feeling my heart breaking.

Please songbird, survive this.

___________________________

 - next one coming soon!!

 - see you in the next one! - vv