44 - Disgust and Determination

Ivy's POV

I can't get the idea out of my head that Cole's parent's deaths are related to these attacks in the Northern Continent that are plaguing Nathaniel and the High Reign Council.

I'm angry.

No, I'm furious.

The fact that their own son could have potentially planned something like this and arranged their deaths – no planned their murder – makes me sick to my stomach. Cole's parents were nothing but welcoming to me and allowed me to thrive in their pack, even though I wasn't a born member.

I know we haven't confirmed it, but my gut is telling he must have something to do with this. It's too much of a coincidence that his parents died the exact same way as these current packs are. What they're being subjected to is disgusting and heartbreaking.

We must get to the bottom of this.

"I'm going to help anyway I can." I state to Nathaniel as we stand in his office with Tobias, Kane, and Evie; having briefed my best friends on the potential revelation.

"It might not be safe for you." Tobias states and I glance at him and sigh. "You're supposed to be dead. If you make it known to Cole that you're alive, he might come after you again."

"He's going to find out either way. I'm Nathaniel's fated mate. The Luna Queen. It's going to come out eventually, especially when Nathaniel becomes King officially."

"You're not wrong there, songbird." Nathaniel says softly, looking at me with worry in his eyes. "Are you sure you'll be okay if things escalate?" He asks tentatively and I nod firmly.

"Yes. He can't hurt me anymore. If it's publicly known I'm your mate, he can't make a move without it blowing back on him to some degree. If he's truly a part of this like we think, then he wouldn't jeopardize all the work he's put into this plan or whatever he's calling it."

"His hatred of you might change that though." Kane states plainly. "Is that a risk we're willing to take?"

Before I can answer, there's a knock on the office door and Tobias goes and opens it, revealing Althea. "Could I come in and speak with you?" Nathaniel nods and Althea enters the room gracefully, her robe trailing behind her.

"The rogue issue has been presenting a problem with us in the witch covens as well. Their increasing numbers have resulted in more deaths than we would like to admit. I spoke to many of my brethren and we've decided that we will help you in everyway possible to figure out exactly what is going on."

"Althea..." I trail off and she smiles. "We respect you and your mate Ivy. Nathaniel and his parents have always treated us with respect and don't abuse their power. We're glad to be an ally to you."

"Thank you, Althea. I appreciate it. We don't know what will happen, but it will be good to have some magic on our side." She nods and looks to me again. "I have something for you, Luna Queen." She approaches me and places a small glass vial in my hand of some sort of green liquid tincture.

"What's this?" I ask.

"I need you to take this. It's something to help purge your body of all the silver that is in your system from having those cuffs on for so long. It may help Seles resurface faster."

"You want me to take it now?" She nods. I look at the swirling liquid for a second, pop the top and chug it down, placing the vial on Nate's desk. It tastes awful but it's only for a moment. Althea looks at me as I feel off, my stomach churning and I cover my mouth with my hand.

"I'm going to be sick." Nathaniel quickly grabs the garbage can beside his desk and hands it to me just as I throw up the entire tincture. As soon as it's out of my system, I feel completely normal again.

"Hmm." Althea says quietly. "I wonder if there's just too much silver in your system to be purged."

I chew my lip nervously. "Does that mean that Seles won't ever awaken again?" My unease is highly evident as I look between Althea, my cuff-less wrists, and Nate. "Don't count her out just yet. You know she's still there, it just may take a while for your body to get used to having a wolven presence before she can be as she was with you." Althea takes the vial off Nate's desk before she turns back to me.

"I'll see if there's anything else I can do to assist you and Seles, Luna Queen. Keep me posted of your plans regarding this rogue problem as well, and I'll let you know if the witch covens notice anything strange."

"Thank you, Althea." She nods and takes her leave, the door closing gently behind her.

Nathaniel's POV

"I'm worried about exposing you back to Cole." I say as I walk hand in hand with Ivy around the packlands. She squeezes my hand in reassurance, but it does little to make me feel okay with the idea of Cole knowing she's alive after we're almost 100% sure he planned the attempt on her life.

"Please. It's about time the High Reign Council knew of me and you. We can't hide it forever."

"We could." I say and she chuckles and shakes her head. "You know it yourself that we can't. Maybe if we were a regular old wolf couple we could pull it off, but you're a royal, Nate."

I sigh quietly. "I know songbird. I know."

She stops and moves in front of me, placing her hands on my chest lightly before raising and placing them around my neck. Our eyes connect and she smiles. "I respect the fact that you want to protect me considering all that's happened, but I'm not some weak wolf. I may not have Seles, but before all of this I was a fierce warrior, and I've kept up with all of my training to the best of my ability. Please have some faith in me."

"I do songbird. I do. I just worry about losing you. I don't know what I'd do."

"I know you're worried and I'm not trying to invalidate how you feel. I'm just asking to work with me to get through this together, because I know we can. One step at a time."

I lean down and gently rest my chin on the top of her head before making my way down to her lips, kissing her softly. She returns it just as soft with a light moan that is music to my ears. We pull away and go to continue our walk, but I stop her, sniffing the air.

It's Ivy's scent, but muskier and my eyes widen.

"Ivy, we need to get back to our room and call the nurses."

She looks at me with wide eyes, clearly reacting to the slight panic in my voice. "Why what's going on?" She questions and I grasp her hand tightly and squeeze.

"You're going into your heat."

______________________________

 - Seriously blown away by the love I'm receiving here. Thank you!

 - Another mature chapter coming up after some filler.

 - See you in the next one!! - vv