51 - Trial

Ivy's POV

"Charges? I'm being charged for their deaths?" I say desperately, my voice cracking slightly in nervousness.

"Seems this is the next play in whatever Cole is planning." Tobias states plainly.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I turn away and pace a few steps, the letter trembling in my hand.

"That motherfucker!" I yell, crumpling the letter into a ball and whipping it to the floor in anger.

"I know it's frustrating, Ivy, but think about it." Tobias states and I turn to look at him, trying to calm myself down, my shoulders raising with my deep intakes of breath. Nate approaches me, taking my hands in his and squeezing before pulling me into an embrace.

"He's desperate, baby. He knows you being my mate makes you important, and very much untouchable, and he knows he's losing his grip on you."

Tobias sighs before continuing. "This is his last card to play to try and get something out of you. We already know he lied about you in the report on the attack, and that's going to be hard for him to explain away when you are alive and well standing right in front of the council." Tobias pauses briefly before continuing. "There are witnesses to his abuse in all of us. Kane, Evie, Nate, and I witnessed him beat you. I even got it on video when we were at the packlands. Believe me, he's doing this without much of a thought."

"I can only hope so. I don't think I can handle much more. I need to be done with him and that god awful pack." I sigh loudly, my anger dissipating into sorrow.

- - -

I look upon the large ornate doors of the council chambers in front of me, biting my lip nervously.

We're back at the palace, on the very top floor that I didn't see much of when I was here during the mating ball. I dressed simply for today in casual black pants with a nice long sleeved floral top. My hair is down and wavy and with some minimal makeup and lip gloss, I'm ready to face whatever is coming my way.

I look to my right as I feel Nate take hold of my hand and leaning in to kiss my temple.

"Ready?"

I nod, and he pushes the doors open and we walk in.

I look around the ornate cream coloured room. It looks almost like a courthouse, with the Reigns seating up at the front of the room on an elevated platform followed by small podiums on the left and right, and behind them, rows of more seating. It's all in the familiar mahogany wood with gold and brass accents, the room giving an ominous feeling as I approach my podium with Nate by my side, with Tobias, Genevieve and Kane sitting right behind.

Tobias and Nate had told me not to worry, as they submitted all the evidence we had found currently in my defense, and that they would all speak to the treatment and torture I received over the years. I can't help but feel dread as I watch some familiar faces walk in and sit down on the opposite side, with Alarik and Cole walking in last, taking their places at the other podium.

It's then that the Reigns all enter and sit at their respectful places; Nate parents Daciana and Oryn, followed by Thyrius, Sebastian and Athena.

Thyrius speaks first, thanking everyone for attending and then turns his attention to me.

"Luna Queen Ivy, do you understand the reason as to why you were summoned here today?"

I nod. "Yes. I am being charged with the deaths of the previous Alpha and Luna of my old pack, Red Moon."

"Good. We will proceed with some questions for you if that's alright?"

I nod again.

"Were you with the Alpha and Luna the day they died?"