Chapter 2

I don't own any of the characters apart from Melanie Malfoy. All of the characters belong to J.K. Rowling.

_______________________________________________________________

My hands were shaking when I stood up, scraping my chair slightly as I pushed it back. I dared a glance at Draco to see that he had gone very pale, and was also shaking. He caught my eye and sent me a small smile. My thoughts were all over the place. This is just another part of your punishment, nothing he says will actually happen. No, take that back, everything he says happens. At least I wasn't going to be killed. Was I?

The walk from our seats at the table to where the Dark Lord was standing seemed to take forever. Eventually, we both got there, and I dared another glance at Draco, but he didn't catch my eye this time, so I turned my head fast and looked back at the table again.

The stunned looks on all the faces of the Death Eaters around us looked particularly funny, had we not been in this situation, I probably would have laughed. They all wore the same identical look of shock, but it was all in the eyes. They all held hatred and jealousy because we were the two picked. 'Take my place' I thought 'I'd be more than happy to swap'.

The person that caught my eye the most though was Aunt Bella. She was rigid, and not moving. I don't even think she was breathing. There was a look of pure hatred in her eyes. She loved the Dark Lord, more than anyone realised. After she escaped from Azkaban last year, she'd been coming to the house and telling me stories, quite a few of them including the Dark Lord. I was quite close to my aunt, but there was no mistaking her jealousy. When she realised I was looking, she shot me a quick smile, and a look of pity quickly flashed on her face.

The Dark Lord grabbed hold of Draco and I and turned us around so we were facing the table. "I know you're all wondering why I picked Draco and Melanie," the Dark Lord spoke quietly and all heads snapped back towards him, and he was given everyone's undivided attention, including mine. A few nods came from the table, before everyone returned to sitting as still as possible.

"I have chosen them because they will be the two least obvious people to carry out the task. No one will suspect two school children to be taking on a mission like this. My easiest way in, is to do it this way," he finished quietly.

A pin could drop and still be heard with the silence that had settled over the room. I was really confused but tried not to let it show. Draco looked down at me and I could see the confusion written on his face. At least I wasn't the only one who didn't know what was going on.

"Your mission," the Dark Lord said, raising his voice and turning to look at me and Draco, "is to kill Albus Dumbledore!"

Cheers erupted around the dining room at his words. Father stood up cheering with the rest, but mother stayed in her seat, trying to hold back her tears. I felt numb. I couldn't kill someone. I knew Dumbledore through the letters Draco had sent me over his years at Hogwarts. I was expected to kill one of the most famous and talented wizards of all time.

I turned to Draco, hoping I had heard the Dark Lord wrong. Even hoping for a tiny bit of hope that this was some all sort of sick and twisted joke. Draco finally turned to face me after a few seconds. He was pale, and looked ready to throw up. It was clear; my life was turning into a living hell.

**

"I really don't want to do this," I whispered to Draco. It was 2 o'clock the morning after we had been appointed out mission that we were to carry out 'proudly and diligently'. I still felt numb and sick, but couldn't bring myself to believe that I had been chosen for such a horrible mission.

"And you think I do?" Draco replied. "I don't know why we got chosen. We're the last people he would have chosen to do this mission normally. I wonder why he did?" Draco wondered, more to himself then to me. A wave of sobs washed over me, but I couldn't hold them in. When one escaped me, Draco rushed over to my side straight away.

"What? What's happened? We can get through this mission, we've got each other," he said softly to me while he held me close. I had missed this time we spent together while he was at Hogwarts. Another sob escaped me and I tried to control the tears pouring down my cheeks.

"I know why h-he chose me," I told him in between sobs.

"Why?" Draco asked. His voice was suddenly defensive.

"He heard about some of the things I said to you and mother from s-some of the D-Death Eaters. He wasn't h-happy so h-he decided to punish me. I-I think this is part of m-my punishment," I explained, still trying to keep my crying quiet and under control. We didn't need to keep quiet, but we still did anyway.

"What do you mean part of? Has he already done something to you?"

I stayed quiet, but Draco knew the answer to his question already. He could also probably guess what had been the other part of my punishment, but he asked anyway.

"Did he use the Cruciatus Curse Mel?" his voice was quiet, but dangerous. Draco has always been protective over me. He is the older of us both by six minutes, so he took his place in the big brother role. I nodded my head slowly. Draco just sighed.

"You know, I'd do something to get them back for you. But with it being him, it's probably impossible for me to do that without getting killed..." he trailed off as I let out a small laugh.

Suddenly something popped into my head. Something that I had overlooked while thinking about the mission we had been assigned. "How am I meant to help you in this mission, if I don't go to Hogwarts?" I asked confused.

"I honestly don't know Mel," he said tiredly. "C'mon, you better go and get some sleep. Apparently we've got another big day tomorrow. What the hell it'll be, I have no idea though. I'll see you in morning."

"Okay. Night Drake," I said as I hugged him and walked out of his room and into mine. My room was a lot smaller than Draco's. He had a huge double bed set in the middle of his room and a chandelier hanging over the top. His room was always clean because of the little time he spent there, but mine was the complete opposite.

I still had a double bed, but it was set in the corner of the room. The chandelier was smaller as I had changed it the second I learnt the spell. In the corner, my huge desk stood messily. All the work I did with mother was laid out along with quills, spare parchment, books and the odd potion ingredient scattered around.

I climbed into bed, but couldn't even persuade myself to fall asleep. All night my brain was full of thoughts on the mission and what I was going to do. I know I had no way out of it, but there was no comfort in any of the thoughts.

When I finally had to get up, I'd probably had about half an hour sleep at the most. I knew I looked a mess and I probably had huge bags under my eyes but I didn't care. I'd probably look like this when I got into the mission anyway.

I slowly made my way down to the dining room where I was met by the Dark Lord sitting next to Draco.

"Ah, Melanie. I have a little business to attend to involving your mission, so will you step closer please." It was an order more than a question. Nevertheless, I walked over to him but didn't take the seat. The Dark Lord looked at Draco who came to stand next to me.

"When working for me, people have to go through a little...initiation," he stated walking over to where we stood. I shivered as he stepped closer, but he didn't seem to realise. "Both of you lift your left sleeves."

I stood, frozen to the spot. I was going to get the Dark Mark. My hands started shaking again as I turned to see Draco had already lifted up his left sleeve. He gave me a pleading look before turning back to face the Dark Lord with a blank expression. I watched as he winced in pain and then looked down to see the snake moving on his forearm.

The Dark Lord then walked back over to me and looked at me expectantly. I slowly lifted up my sleeve with shaking hands and looked forward trying not to show him how scared I was. I felt a burning in my forearm and when I looked down, I could see the exact same mark that Draco had on his. I gasped while I looked at it and heard a small chuckle next to my ear.

"You're ready to start your mission now. I will be back in the next few days to explain in more detail what you'll be doing." He said as he glided out the room. I was still a bit shaken up and didn't realise that a house elf had walked in to join us.

"Miss, Mr Malfoy would like to see you in the library miss." Dinky squeaked. I nodded in reply, and followed her out of the room.

When I reached the library, I had finally started to let the events of the morning sink in to me. I was marked. I had the same numb feeling that I had had last night, but still walked into the room to see my father stood next to one of the large bookshelves.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked quietly. He still managed to hear me, even though the volume of my voice was scarily low.

"We've had to make some new arrangements due to your mission," he told me, with his back still turned away. It was starting to annoy me, but then his next words sent shock sparking through my body. "So, you'll be attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as of September 1st."

_______________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Had nothing to do as I break off for Christmas tomorrow (:D) and I was home alone, so I thought I'd upload. I want to thank people for commenting and voting, you should have seen my reaction, I was quite happy ;)

Anyway, usual thing, let me know what you think by commenting and voting. It will make me work faster and upload quicker, Maybe even a fan if you're feeling nice ;)

Until next chapter, byeee
C x